Extra Seat Springs?

Tim_Ahrens

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
A couple of months ago I noticed a spring lying loose under the passenger seat, which had somehow become detached. The seat still worked fine. Now, I notice that a similar spring has emerged from beneath the driver's seat. My seat works fine too. I've not looked underneath the seats, but it seems they came off pretty easily, just to be laying on the floor. Hadn't heard any pops or other wierd noises. Maybe the spring fairy has been visiting my Jetta & left a couple extra for me?

They are about 6-8" long.

Tim

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black
Very common quality problem on these cars. The springs are part of the seat height mechanism, I believe. I think they are to assist in the ratcheting. Anyway, the seats do operate OK without them, but not quite as smoothly.

Basically they fall off because it's a lousy design. The attachment points for the springs are plastic, which gets brittle and breaks off. Next thing you know, you have them rolling around.

Mine fell off around 40K miles IIRC.

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
Mine now hang in the garage. I found the plastic pc. a week later laying under the seat. The engineer who came up with this as a way to secure one end outa have his arse wooped. The chunk of plastic I saw wouldn't last the life of the car - I can't believe it ever held it! Don't worry about it though - I can't tell any difference in seat function