Extending lowline MFD functionality

hojnikb

TDI
Golf V 1.9TDI
So i've recently aquired mk5. Being a base spec car, it does not have any usable information on the dashboard display other than time and milage.

I'd like to have mpg/distance to empty functionality somehow. Is it possible to retrofit some 3rd party display to show that info or do you have to upgrade to a higher spec cluster and stalk?

Thank you.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Polar FIS is one device I've seen talked about. I wouldn't bother with a Scangauge, since it only guesses your mpg. You want a device that directly gets that info from the ecu.

hojnikb

TDI
Golf V 1.9TDI
Polar FIS is one device I've seen talked about. I wouldn't bother with a Scangauge, since it only guesses your mpg. You want a device that directly gets that info from the ecu.
Does polarFIS work with baseline display ?

If i were to replace the cluster for a midline variat, is it enough to replace the cluster and wiper stalk?

Last edited:

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
If you plan to upgrade to full MFD you might need to upgrade the CECM (central electric control module). After that if you want to take a step further you add Polar FIS

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
For the cost and implementation simplicity, a SG is hard to beat. I've been using one on my Jetta for a decade now. You're constantly "calibrating" the guessing with every fill-up, so it's not that "inaccurate" if we assume some sort of driver\use pattern consistency. I wouldn't trust it completely as far as distance to empty, but I have, on several occasions, pushed it until it read less than 50kms to go and have not run out of fuel yet.

There are many other useful readouts which also add to its "value".

hojnikb

TDI
Golf V 1.9TDI
If you plan to upgrade to full MFD you might need to upgrade the CECM (central electric control module). After that if you want to take a step further you add Polar FIS
I think i'm going to do midline fis. To my understading, all i need is to upgrade the cluster and stalk and coding?
Is there a tuturial how to do it?

Seems like full mfd is a bit more invovled and midline already offers all the features i'm after.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
On the second page of the link below you will see a user named Jetta 97 . Send him a pm, he knows a lot about instrument panels swapping and upgrading from low-line displays to MFD: