Extended warranty on Mexican 2016 TDI Sportswagen SE

Lou Como

TDI
2016 GSW TDI SE
My two-year warranty is soon to expire, and I see where Volkswagen de Mexico lists the 2016 TDI as available for the extended warranty.
The costs listed are about $1,500 to about $2,200 USD for four years or 150,000 kilometers, depending on the mileage.
https://servicio.vw.com.mx/garantia-extendida/
I'm usually not one to buy extended warranties, but I've had to use the original warranty twice already (leaking sunroof and blown radiator) so I may buy one this time.
Any advise is welcome.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
"Do you feel lucky?"
quote Dirty Harry

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
You must live in a different Mexico than me, I can’t imagining any of the dealers I’ve taken my car to for maintenance actually fixing anything under an extended warranty, plus you will still have to go to them for 5,000 peso oil changes.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
My two-year warranty is soon to expire, and I see where Volkswagen de Mexico lists the 2016 TDI as available for the extended warranty.
The costs listed are about $1,500 to about $2,200 USD for four years or 150,000 kilometers, depending on the mileage.
https://servicio.vw.com.mx/garantia-extendida/
I'm usually not one to buy extended warranties, but I've had to use the original warranty twice already (leaking sunroof and blown radiator) so I may buy one this time.
Any advise is welcome.

Thanks for posting this, I'm getting close to my warranty expiration as well.

How did they fix your sunroof ? Did you/do you still have the spider traps in place ?

I don't think Mexican diesel has any bio in it, so a good idea to add lubricity to the tank. They sell Kleen Diesel here.

Lou Como

TDI
2016 GSW TDI SE
Thanks for posting this, I'm getting close to my warranty expiration as well.

How did they fix your sunroof ? Did you/do you still have the spider traps in place ?

I don't think Mexican diesel has any bio in it, so a good idea to add lubricity to the tank. They sell Kleen Diesel here.
They removed the spider traps. I have not really tested the fix except for car washes, as I avoid driving late in the day during rainy season and park under cover.

VW replaced the headliner and the inverter in the cargo area, which was toasted by the leak.

Lou Como

TDI
2016 GSW TDI SE
You must live in a different Mexico than me, I can’t imagining any of the dealers I’ve taken my car to for maintenance actually fixing anything under an extended warranty, plus you will still have to go to them for 5,000 peso oil changes.
Yes you make good points. I consider myself lucky they honored the 2-year factory warranty.

The roadside-assistance insurance the car came with was worthless. I limped into a VW dealer with a blown radiator far from home. Because I did not call VW insurance beforehand, my claim was denied. Hundreds of dollars in rental car fees and hotels were supposed to be covered, those bastards! This was a third party Mexican insurance company, and the extended warranty is offered through a different third party Mexican insurance company. I'm sure they will be looking to screw me on any potential claims.