Extended Warranties

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Does anyone know if there's a list someplace of all the warranties VW extended for the NMS Passat? I know that not all VINs were included in each extension, but I'm interested to see what MAY have been extended for my car.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Your dealership should be able to enter your VIN into the VWoA computer system and give you this information. If I were you, I would make the request in person, to the service director, and ask to actually look at the screen while they retrieve the information. This way there should be no misunderstanding.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Thanks for the advice. I'm at 119,800 miles now, so trying to get any needed service done before warranties expire would be prudent.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Thanks for the advice. I'm at 119,800 miles now, so trying to get any needed service done before warranties expire would be prudent.
Wow. You have put some miles on that car. Trouble is, you're only 200 miles from the end of all three extended warranties I have (turbo, AdBlue heater,and heater core, the latter being replaced Thursday). If nothing's s wrong now,you have no basis for warranty service, and if you drive it a few hundred miles, you're over the warranty. A lose-lose scenario....

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I can only take credit for around 30,000 of those miles in the two-and-a-half years I've owned it. :p

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The only warranty extensions that I'm aware off off the top of my head are the turbocharger, the AdBlue heater module, and the climate control heater core. If you don't have a check engine light, you're okay on the first to. For the heat, you should crank it up to maximum ("HI") and make sure that the heat output is satisfactory. IIRC, our car produced ~140F vent temperatures when it was new... haven't checked lately to verify.

If your heat is less than adequate or cooler on the passenger's side than the driver's side, inquire about getting your heater core replaced and the coolant flushed prior to the 120,000 miles deadline.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...If your heat is less than adequate or cooler on the passenger's side than the driver's side, inquire about getting your heater core replaced and the coolant flushed prior to the 120,000 miles deadline.
This is good advice. My dealer replaced my heater core when I was able to prove the passenger side heat didn't equal the driver's side.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Not good advice...

GREAT ADVICE!

I checked mine today at 119,880 miles and, sure enough, MUCH cooler on the passenger side. I called my dealership and will bring it there tomorrow for warranty service. The service manager chuckled when I told her how many miles I have on it...

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
The dealer called me to tell me the heater core is not warrantied. They called VW to ask for a goodwill repair, but VW denied it due to the high mileage. Repair cost will be over $700 should I decide to fix it.

Are you all sure about the heater core being warrantied until 120k?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The dealer called me to tell me the heater core is not warrantied. They called VW to ask for a goodwill repair, but VW denied it due to the high mileage. Repair cost will be over $700 should I decide to fix it.
Are you all sure about the heater core being warrantied until 120k?
This seems to be a weird issue where some VINs in the same model year have the warranty, and some don't. Don't ask me why. Our '13 Passat TDI SEL has the extended warranty, as it does on the turbocharger and the DEF heater, and our heater core, which had started to go cold on the passenger side, was replaced at the dealer today, heater core, gaskets, flush, and coolant, todo incluiso at a cost of $0.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
"VIN specific" is the term VW used when I called to inquire about warranty today. Specifically, not my VIN. But I got a glimmer of hope when the VW customer care rep said that my vehicle's heater core warranty hasn't been extended YET. It's now documented at the dealership and with VW that this problem started before 120k. I'll have to wait and see how that pans out should VW enact an extended warranty.

For now, $80 for a core and $50 for coolant isn't so bad, as long as it's not winter in Syracuse (shade tree work area).

fricknbug99

TDI
99 beetle tdi 5 speed,2013 passat se tdi dsg
Yet the tsb is for all 2013- 2014 passat tdi's and all vin#. But VW won't extend the warranty to all. I have had mine replaced twice. 1st repair lasted 29 days, 700 miles. 2nd repair has about 1200 miles on it with good working heat. Its cost me $222.44, tried to recoup my money from VW no luck though.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. It is appalling that the first replacement only lasted for a month! Out of curiosity, how many times did you flush the system when you first replaced the heater core? I assume you did the work yourself looking at the cost for both replacements you mentioned.

fricknbug99

TDI
99 beetle tdi 5 speed,2013 passat se tdi dsg
No the service dept did the work. The first repair was one cooling system flush. The second repair I was told 3 flushes were done. I have good heat as of now. VW did pay some of repair but not all like they have for other owners. I have extended warranties on turbo and ad blue heater seems odd the heater core isn't covered.

Last edited: