Extended emissions warranty on new cars ?

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
If I buy a new 2015 never titled TDI is it covered by the 11 years or 162,000 miles extended emissions warranty offered as part of the settlement? Cant seem to verify. Thanks

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
An interesting question. I suggest calling or e-mailing the plaintiff counsel, they should know. If I had to guess, if they were never sold, they may not part of the settlement, so = no extended warranty.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Here's an add from Sheehy VW. The asterisks aren't defined, but it does look the warranty you mention is provided.

2015 VW 2.0L TDIs
Available for Sale

0% for up to 72 Months and $5000 Customer Bonus Cash*

11 Years or 162,000 Mile Warranty Included*

Number of available units is limited. They will sell out quickly. Take advantage of this incredible offer while it lasts.

Can not combine with other offers. Expires May 1, 2017. Must finance with VCI with approved credit.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Here's an add from Sheehy VW. The asterisks aren't defined, but it does look the warranty you mention is provided.

2015 VW 2.0L TDIs
Available for Sale

0% for up to 72 Months and $5000 Customer Bonus Cash*

11 Years or 162,000 Mile Warranty Included*

Number of available units is limited. They will sell out quickly. Take advantage of this incredible offer while it lasts.

Can not combine with other offers. Expires May 1, 2017. Must finance with VCI with approved credit.
What about the bumper to bumper warranty part? I think the 11 years/ 162K mile is for the powertrain?????

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The 11 year or 162,000 mi deal is the prescribed emissions warranty but it covers the things I would be most concerned about - DPF, HPFP, turbo, SCR. The main part of the warranty would be standard.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
The 11 year or 162,000 mi deal is the prescribed emissions warranty but it covers the things I would be most concerned about

DPF, HPFP, turbo, SCR. The main part of the warranty would be standard.
As I am more and more looking to take the fix, in addition to your input, ~~

It is all transferable to subsequent owners ~~

Then when I put it on the curb (some day), I will tout it like it was a quasi CPO warranty.

And the best part of it is, all (warranty) deputes are to be settled in favor of the owner.

Yahoo :D;):rolleyes::eek:

SparkyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
The 11 year or 162,000 mi deal is the prescribed emissions warranty but it covers the things I would be most concerned about - DPF, HPFP, turbo, SCR. The main part of the warranty would be standard.

can anyone link or upload the extended warranty info from a good source? I can't seem to find it when trying to google it. reason being my brother looking to buying a used 2015 but his dealership is being lazy and not helping explain what is covered/transferable and what isn't

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
can anyone link or upload the extended warranty info from a good source? I can't seem to find it when trying to google it. reason being my brother looking to buying a used 2015 but his dealership is being lazy and not helping explain what is covered/transferable and what isn't

Warranty Period The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the greater of: - 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR - 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2. The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.

Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems: - The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators - The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators - The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators - The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper - The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other than those related to the transmission. Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train . The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer. More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is available at www.vwdiesellookup.com and in the customer letter we sent to you in January 2017

[FONT=&quot]Extended Emissions Warranty Coverage (continued) Transferability This extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners. Warranty Notices All normal warranty provisions remain in effect[/FONT]

SparkyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI

warranty period the warranty period for the “extended emissions warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the greater of: - 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; or - 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of phase 1 of the emissions modification. at the time of the subsequent phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of phase 2. The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.

Parts covered under extended warranty the emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems: - the entire exhaust after treatment system, including the diesel oxidation catalyst, the diesel particulate filter, the selective catalytic reduction converter, the dosing injector and other diesel exhaust fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators - the entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators - the egr system, including egr valves, egr cooler, egr filter, egr temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators - the turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper - the on-board diagnostic (obd) system, including scr def quality sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the obd systems other than those related to the transmission. Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train . The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer. More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is available at www.vwdiesellookup.com and in the customer letter we sent to you in january 2017

[font=&quot]extended emissions warranty coverage (continued) transferability this extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners. Warranty notices all normal warranty provisions remain in effect[/font]

awesome thanks!

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
You will get a very official booklet in your glovebox, with all the info.

Specifically, the book and 3 (!) more different printouts folded into it , will state the same exact 11/162K wty :)

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
Can someone explain this section ?

from page 13 of https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen3_Final.pdf
This is the official booklet that I got in my new 2015 TDI this month.

"additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train."

This is NOT listed as a bullet point in items covered, but is right after the bullet points.... And right before a section labeled 'THIS emissions warranty.....'

Does this mean:
1) the entire longblock gets the same 11yr/162k emissions warranty as the rest of the stuff listed on this warranty booklet. or
2) more individual engine parts included covered by a totally different warranty---powertrain---but they didn't bother to come out and say if longblock gets any date/mileage extension.

I have had dealers explain it both ways, and have read posts here on tdiclub that imply say emissions stuff while others point out entire engine.

I could not find any mention of the word 'longblock' is not mentoned anywhere else in the owners manual/warranty booklet. Not even in the 'powertrain 5yr/60k' section. So how are what are they 'modifying' as part of this settlement guide.

Maybe this is enough of an ambiguity that it could get covered under the 'in case of disputes, determine in favor of customer' clause?

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It means everything inside the engine block and cylinder head is included in the extended emissions warranty.

It's covered because if changes to engine calibration as a result of the emissions modification result in a melted or cracked piston or burned valve, it's VW's problem, not yours.

The rest of the powertrain - clutch, transmission, CV joints - is not part of this.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI

from page 13 of https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen3_Final.pdf

"additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train."

This is NOT listed as a bullet point in items covered, but is right after the bullet points.... And right before a section labeled 'THIS emissions warranty.....'

Does this mean:
1) the entire longblock gets the same 11yr/162k emissions warranty as the rest of the stuff listed on this warranty booklet. or
2) more individual engine parts included covered by a totally different warranty---powertrain---but they didn't bother to come out and say if longblock gets any date/mileage extension.

I have had dealers explain it both ways, and have read posts here on tdiclub that imply say emissions stuff while others point out entire engine.

I could not find any mention of the word 'longblock' is not mentoned anywhere else in the owners manual/warranty booklet. Not even in the 'powertrain 5yr/60k' section. So how are what are they 'modifying' as part of this settlement guide.

Maybe this is enough of an ambiguity that it could get covered under the 'in case of disputes, determine in favor of customer' clause?
I was wondering about this as well. The way it's worded does not say those items are covered in the extended emissions warranty.

Instead, it's saying the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train are covered by the engine long block warranty.

What the hell is an engine long block warranty?

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
What the hell is an engine long block warranty? I own a shop and long block means in most places the entire block and assembled rotating assembly ( crank,rods pistons and camshaft if in block) also heads or heads and its components (valves, maybe camshaft,springs etc..)

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Does this mean:

At least for my personal "liking" :D

Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer. More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is available at www.vwdiesellookup.com and in the customer letter we sent to you in January 2017