Exhaust

Johnny97

TDI
2014 tdi
Want a new exhaust to put on my 2014 golf tdi
Any suggestions? Don’t really wanna spend more than 300-400 so i know I’m not gonna get a super good one but just went one that’ll sound nice and kinda loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
pull the turbo off, just run it with the ports open
they're pretty loud like that

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I got a slightly deeper/better sound on my Q5 after installing a Magnaflow catback. You can switch out your factory muffler for a Magnaflow muffler or other straight through design for hopefully a bit more rumble. The other posters have a point though there is minimal sound increase with stock emissions equipment in place. The slightly louder note is perfect for me though.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
the last thing to do to a diesel is the exhaust, it is literally the least bang for the buck and very costly

lets put this into perspective
a $300 to $400 tune will yield MAX results for your $ spent
same cost into exhaust, pointless.

order goes, Tune, nozzles, turbo, supporting mods like pumps, intake runners, larger intercooler, MAP, maf delete, Clutch, brakes, suspension and so on
once you reach the point where your doing head work with a cam and really beefy injection and fuel mods, then, your exhaust will be a much better bang for the buck
The ONLY reason to do the exhaust is due to a turbo swap to make it fit.

SAVE YOUR MONEY
get a tune from malone or Kerma

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Depends how restrictive the exhaust is, running with no exhaust will net the highest bhp but it will be noisy ! Depending on how you build it it can be a bit louder if using them cheery bombs type of backboxes with a pass trough design, they are meant to accelerate the spent gases into a vortex thus creating higher velocity trough the system. A 2.25'' is more than your engine can handle so look for exhaust systems about that size !

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Depends how restrictive the exhaust is, running with no exhaust will net the highest bhp but it will be noisy ! Depending on how you build it it can be a bit louder if using them cheery bombs type of backboxes with a pass trough design, they are meant to accelerate the spent gases into a vortex thus creating higher velocity trough the system. A 2.25'' is more than your engine can handle so look for exhaust systems about that size !
In modified situations, no. for OP, no exhaust does NOT really cause a "real" loss in power. Its a myth that restrictions rob power, well in a manner of speaking they "do" but the measurable HP loss is so small that its negligible as a 3rd dyno pull just from warming up or cooling down car vary, 0.03% and the HP loss is less than that. AKA NOTHING.
dont believe me, well here watch this.
no matter how restrictive you get, you dont really loss much if any power. and this test was on a BIG HP motor.
the ONLY loss you will have is in heat loss, AKA, your EGT's can and defiantly WILL go up, DRASTICALLY if you restrict the exhaust like in the video im going to link here, BUT a stock 2.25 exhaust on a +/- 100 HP motor? NO, not a chance. you could have 5 mufflers on there in the worst baffle config and next to NO power loss other than additional weight will happen.

well after looking for the link, it seems engine maters and road kill got killed from youtube and now you have to pay like a shill, FML
well here is the link anyways. Worth watching
https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/exhaust-header-bash-testing-power-loss-from-dents/0_ujj8a8mw/

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You can absolutely put a restrictive exhaust on that will reduce or limit power output. It's just rarely an issue on tdi's because so few make enough power/gas flow to be limited by the factory setup.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, you cant.
These guys literally pinched the header to the point where every runner was only like 1/4 inch wide of an opening. Made the same HP, well almost. But a 8hp drop on a 400+ hp v8 is nothing.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok Mongler. I yield to your superior knowledge of physics and fluid dynamics. Some yahoo made a video, therefore science doesn't apply.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Restrictive exhaust well cut power. I worked on my dads ranger years ago and it had a plugged cat. On a whim I drilled holes in it to see if that would help...low and behold it was like a different truck. Cat would get cherry red from being so restricted. My .02.......

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
One of the best explanations so far ! To mongler, how comes that running a straight trough exhaust without many turns help flow to the point the diesel engine makes better power as it helps spool the turbo quicker ? Modern diesels with a dpf have turbos designed to run with backpressure in mind, when the dpf cloggs it will slow down the car to the point it will chock itself to death and go nowhere stalling almost imediately ! You dont believe me ? drive a car with a blocked dpf then tell me that getting the exhaust upgraded doesnt makes any difference ! On my 2013 seat exeo 2.0 CR 118Bhp engine i went from a 2.5" exhaust to a full 3" stainless steel system with a motorbike back box at the back and a changed the turbo to bv43a from the 170Bhp model. Same tune in the engine but dpf regenerations was turned off ! The engine went 1L/100Km better on fuel and made extra 25 Bhp as well ! Explain that ?

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i never said a bigger exhaust WONT make more power, it can, and was tested by the same guys, and does, depending on the engine and its config, it DOES make a big difference. My point was that a restrictive exhaust will not rob power, and it wont, EGT's will be HIGH AF and a clogged CAT or DEF parts absolutely will as there is next to NO flow, the argument your all making is that if you shove a potato in a tail pipe it will not run, yes 100% correct, Im clearly saying that a restrictive exhaust aka Mufflers and resonators will not impead performance enough to measure or be worth noting, its been tested up the ARS and proven that even a bent and pinched exhaust will NOT cause power loss measurable to note, but that better performing velocities and baffles WILL improve performance, IF power gains are to be had by other supporting modifications or engine displacement or turbo requirements. you can run 200HP on a 2.25 exhaust all day and be fine. 2.5 sounds better and much of the time its a custom set up anyways so it ends up working better as money was going to be spent either way.

OP wants to jack up his wallet by putting a pointless exhaust on it, thats it, argument made that its pointless to power gains is 100% accurate as nothing else was done

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dude, why all of the convoluted and nonsensical backpedaling? Just admit what everyone here knows, that exhaust system design and sizing plays an important role in the performance of any ICE.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Because it does not.
performance, NAH
ANY ICE? no, just no

generalities like that get people like OP into trouble.

Performance yes in a demanding engine

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Mongler I’m not trying to come off like a d!ck but if a larger exhaust makes more power then wouldn’t it mean the smaller exhaust was restrictive?

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
Backpressure doesn't effect on SFC? That's a good one.

BobsoNb

TDI
1.9 PD
Hello , there can I use the theme to ask about something so I was wondering is it worth to put half exhaust pipe at 63mm (after turbo) till half of it and then to continues with stoke pipe 55mm is gonna make any difference?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
It will be a restriction, If you feel it that’s a different matter. Most exhaust systems are built this way, usually from performance point of view going one size pipe then splitting in 2 smaller pipes will effectively increase the efficiency of the exhaust as you have split the flow into 2 separate paths and increased surface area…

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hello , there can I use the theme to ask about something so I was wondering is it worth to put half exhaust pipe at 63mm (after turbo) till half of it and then to continues with stoke pipe 55mm is gonna make any difference?
The largest restriction is the dpf.... You don't need anything larger than stock 2.25" unless your above 250hp.... I'm stage 4 with 2.5" and it's no restriction....

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
It will be a restriction, If you feel it that’s a different matter. Most exhaust systems are built this way, usually from performance point of view going one size pipe then splitting in 2 smaller pipes will effectively increase the efficiency of the exhaust as you have split the flow into 2 separate paths and increased surface area…
Maybe in a na vehicle....

BobsoNb

TDI
1.9 PD
My is only one till the end car is golf 5 1.9tdi 77kw
I will install gtb1756vk but I wanna make downpipe 63mm only till middle where the pipes connect each other. Stock pipe is 55mm

So is that gonna make any difference and if it does will it be good or bad.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It shouldn't be a noticeable restriction with that turbo/power level. Much over 200hp and you'd be better off going 63mm/2.5" or larger all the way out. Better to use a conical reducer to make the flow smoother at the transition- though the stepdown isn't that substantial.

BobsoNb

TDI
1.9 PD
It shouldn't be a noticeable restriction with that turbo/power level. Much over 200hp and you'd be better off going 63mm/2.5" or larger all the way out. Better to use a conical reducer to make the flow smoother at the transition- though the stepdown isn't that substantial.
I will also change injection so it may be around 210 220

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Close enough, should be fine. Go 63mm the whole way if you're concerned. You might be giving up 2hp with the stock back half.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, in the unlikely event that your car makes 220 hp with a gtb1756, 63mm downpipe/midpipe and stock back half of the exhaust, you could be making 222-225hp with a full length 63 mm exhaust. The more power it makes, the more of a restriction the smaller pipes become.

Last edited: