Exhaust upgrade worth it? Install Update.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
At least my wife is on the same page as I am, and understands that newer cars are a lot more complex to work on, whereas all the stuff I have is pre-90s, minus the tdis. Good times.

joevh

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI BEW, Malone Stage 4, VNT17, Diesel Geek short shifter
Back when my Wagon was much more heavily modified than it is now, switchin to a full 2.5" exhaust from one that had a smaller pipe leaving the turbo got me an 8HP bump. If I recall corretly it was from 174 to 182 at the wheels. So it will give an incremental gain.
Well, you're out of the 14" body Magnaflow mufflers until at least 2022 so I need to source a muffler somewhere else. I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the 18" body Magnaflow, or maybe look into an Aeroturbine muffler. Just trying to keep it from becoming too loud.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My Wife has driven stick shifts for 3+ decades. Since I found her a Jeep Grand Cherokee that she loves to drive, she doesn't want to drive my Jetta. Double edged sword here?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, you're out of the 14" body Magnaflow mufflers until at least 2022 so I need to source a muffler somewhere else. I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the 18" body Magnaflow, or maybe look into an Aeroturbine muffler. Just trying to keep it from becoming too loud.
There are other vendors that sell them too, autozone also has them if you want a local source.

kbeefy

TDI
ALH
Hey Joe, Just dropped in because you mentioned your a ford Diesel owner. I've had a 2000 7.3 for 15 years now, and also have a 2005 6.0.
Also, I'm near Spokane! (Moved to Harrington in June, from Alaska) Small world!!!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Send some of that juicy snow from Spokane to Portland. I miss mobbing my Samurai down i90 in the snow.

joevh

TDI
I think you'll be very happy with the results. I have a 2.5in cat to put on my car, haven't done it yet cause my engine is smoking too much. Waiting on my replacement engine first.
Strange how a cat free car stinks more than a cat equipped one
🙃
As one who loves the smell of diesel, I think a cat equipped diesel stinks - at least, it just doesn't smell like a diesel should! I gave up on the Aeroturbine muffler, and was going to order the longer Magnaflow, but after looking at the exhaust hangars behind the rear wheel, I was thinking the extra length might cause an issue with the hangars once I added in the exhaust clamps. So, I ordered the same 14" body length Magnaflow muffler that IDParts sells from another supplier. I'll be sure to post after I get this stuff installed in a few weeks.

joevh

TDI
Hey Joe, Just dropped in because you mentioned your a ford Diesel owner. I've had a 2000 7.3 for 15 years now, and also have a 2005 6.0.
Also, I'm near Spokane! (Moved to Harrington in June, from Alaska) Small world!!!
I ordered my '97 F350 Powerstroke new, and kept it until I ordered a 2017 Powerstroke new, and sold my old one to my oldest son. I just couldn't bear to allow it to leave the family after all the kids grew up in it. It's still a sweet truck, and highly modified!

kbeefy

TDI
ALH
My dad had a 97, and I wanted one in 2005. The '97 were worth more than the 2000 at that time so I wound up buying the newer truck. I love it, and it is now worth more than I paid for it in 2006. Crazy diesel world...

joevh

TDI
So, after several months since ordering parts, I've finally completed the exhaust install, and have a writeup for it. I ordered the IDParts 2.5" downpipe because even thought it's expensive, I had heard that the quality was impeccable. They are right; it's a thing of beauty. I considered ordering it with the resonator welded on, but was told they use a Vibrant resonator, which I'm not familiar with and wanted to use a FloPro Twister resonator because I've used an FTE brand resonator on a couple of diesel trucks that uses the same design and have worked extremely well for reducing drone. Downstream of that I ordered the BuzzKen cat back 2.5" exhaust with no muffler. The reason for no muffler was because I've heard their muffler/resonators don't do much so I ordered an 18" Magnaflow to install prior to the tailpipe. Also, my understanding is that BuzzKen will have the tailpipe stop at the same location as stock, which tends to produce drone. By adding my own muffler, I was able to cut out the proper amount of his tailpipe to make it longer and exit past the bumper valence. His 2 piece cat back exhaust is butted together with one of those thin stainless steel band clamps, which actually work pretty well. Both my resonator as well as the Magnaflow muffler had a 2.5" I.D. inlet and outlet, so the 2.5" O.D. downpipe inserted into the resonator and the tailpipe inserted into the muffler, so I ordered 4 stainless steel band clamps that fit properly for the difference in diameter of the pipes vs the mufflers. This should be a more secure fit than the butt joint that the BuzzKen exhaust has.

After waiting 6 weeks to get my BuzzKen exhaust, it showed up with a resonator in the tailpipe. I sent it back, and remarkably, had the new replacement in less than a week - even before they had my old system back! The good thing about this mix up is that I was able to get them to send the second system with the tailpipe hanger not welded on, as changing the exit location of the tailpipe would have required cutting off the hanger so I could get it re-welded in the proper location. The old system came off fairly easily, thanks to a sawzall and the fact that my turbo was only a year old and the studs on it were not corroded. Before cutting the downpipe to length for the resonator to install at the end of it, I loosely installed it and the BuzzKen cat back pipe into their hangars. Glad I did, as there was a 1 3/16" gap between the pipes and I would have come up short if I hadn't tried fitting them. I don't know who's fault that is, the IDParts downpipe or the Buzzken tail pipe, but luckily with the resonator in there, especially the way the pipe slides into it, I could compensate for it as well as have adjustability. IDParts has a tailpipe from the same manufacturer as their downpipe and I would have purchased that if it just wasn't so expensive. The downpipe wanted to settle a bit to the driver's side of the car and there was a bit of fighting with it and the tail pipe section - an extra set of hands was helpful.

Once all the clamps were torqued to specs, the system stiffened up nicely, and I held the tailpipe where I wanted it while a friend welded that exhaust hangar on, securing everything in place nicely. My focus was on having the tailpipe long enough to not drone, and figured I could always shorten things later. Looking at the picture of Nero Morg's tailpipe in another thread, I probably could have gone a little shorter, which would also allow me to raise the tailpipe up higher. I might adjust it in the future, but really don't mind what I have. I also wanted to cut the end at an angle that would point it down to the road at a 45* angle, rather than straight down, but because of the bend in the pipe at the cut end, I couldn't get the pipe secured properly in the saw's vice, and was worried it would come loose while cutting and mess it up.

Expectations and Results: I wanted a system that would not be any louder inside the cab but would hopefully have more turbo whistle and most importantly, would relieve what I felt in the seat of my pants was exhaust restriction with my Malone stage 4 and VNT-17. This system is no louder in the cab than before, and has no drone. I can hear a bit more turbo on the inside as well as outside. Not as much as I'd like, but I also realize part of this is because of having a VNT-17 rather than the smaller stock turbo. It does feel like the throttle is more responsive, the turbo spools quicker, and it just feels like it's performing more like it should. This is not a monumental change, nor did I expect it to be, but it accomplished what I was trying to do and I'm very glad to not have it any louder in the cab like some have complained about. This is certainly not the best bang for your buck if just starting to increase power, but I knew that going into it. I probably could have gotten by without the FLoPro resonator, but in addition to eliminating drone, they take the sharp edge off of things. I haven't had the exhaust on long enough to see if it will improve my fuel mileage. The only downside that I've noticed is that the car and steering wheel seems to shake more while at idle at a stop light. I suspect that's because the flex section on this (and all the other aftermarket downpipes that I've seen) is quite a bit shorter than the OEM one, and doesn't allow as much flex to take up engine vibration and movement. Overall, I'm quite pleased though.

I took before videos of inside the cab as well as behind the tailpipe, but didn't even bother with a post install inside the cab video because I couldn't notice any difference. I will attempt to post some pics below as well as the tailpipe videos if I can figure out how to.

joevh

TDI
OK, I figured out how to upload the videos to YouTube so I will link them. If anyone can explain how to upload photo's into this post, I'd appreciate it. I can't seem to find any "how to" tech links on this forum.

Stock exhaust.

2.5" exhaust

joevh

TDI

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks for the link to the instructions on posting pictures. I had tried the media page before but hadn't been able to figure it out.
No problem man. Nice x-ice tires. Amazing the diff 2.5" makes. My 14" glass pack is almost too quiet. I might make a straight section and try that.

joevh

TDI
Well, I finally got around to cutting the exhaust tip to the length and angle that I originally wanted. Turns out it's quite easy to do a clean job with a sawzall by removing the tailpipe from the muffler and clamping it in a vice. So far I've been very happy with the 2.5" exhaust - the engine no longer feels like it's being held back and it's no louder inside than it was before.