Exhaust Sensor 96 Passat TDI

BigT

TDI
96 Passat TDI
There are 2 Exhaust Sensors on my 96 Passat TDI. I can't find where the Temp Sensor connects under the hood. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Not sure what you're asking... Are you wanting exhaust temperature or coolant temperature or something else?
There are 2 Exhaust Sensors on my 96 Passat TDI. I can't find where the Temp Sensor connects under the hood. Any help would be great. Thanks.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Probably the additional fuel injector and I forget what the other is. . The injector is usually deleted. if you have the silver ecu, it’s no longer active.

-Todd

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Exhaust temp.
They didn't have an exhaust temp sensor from the factory, that gets added later if you want it. The later ones (2004-2005) had an exhaust temp probe from the factory, but not the 1996. You're probably looking at the 5th injector stuff, unless someone already added an egt probe.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Catalyst temp sensors, and on the B4 (at least the early ones imported to the US) the wiring to support them exists. The 96 B4 harness I have had wiring for them and Bentley specifies that they connect to the ECU at pin 10 and 56 IIRC, but I wouldn't bet that it matters.

If your car got the recall and the ECU replacement it would explain why the connections aren't present at the exhaust, then again maybe they were never connected from the factory, who knows. Also if you no longer have the 5th injector setup (a good thing) then that's just another piece of the recall 'removal.'

Steve

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 1996 Passats had the 5th injector (and thus the exhaust temp sensor) all deleted with an updated ECU during a recall shortly after the cars were built. I doubt the OP found one where it was still intact and functioning.

Mozambiquer

TDI
My brother in law's 1998 Jetta has the parts for a fifth injector. Not sure why. I've never seen that before, I thought it was only 1996 passats that had it.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My brother in law's 1998 Jetta has the parts for a fifth injector. Not sure why. I've never seen that before, I thought it was only 1996 passats that had it.
Would be interested in knowing the build date for the car in question, sounds to me like a transplant from a 96 Passat.

Steve

Mozambiquer

TDI
Would be interested in knowing the build date for the car in question, sounds to me like a transplant from a 96 Passat.

Steve
That's what I wondered, but if I remember correctly it has ahu stamped on the block. And who would transplant all of the garbage with it? It has a code for the fifth injector which triggers a check engine light as well.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That's what I wondered, but if I remember correctly it has ahu stamped on the block. And who would transplant all of the garbage with it? It has a code for the fifth injector which triggers a check engine light as well.
A VIN would be helpful with this, and for a Mk3 of that year to come with that garbage on it would be strange, almost as strange as a '98 Canadian Jetta with the AAZ engine in it, no airbags and passenger glove box....

I have a hard time believing that it came that was from VW, for US import.

Steve

Mozambiquer

TDI
A VIN would be helpful with this, and for a Mk3 of that year to come with that garbage on it would be strange, almost as strange as a '98 Canadian Jetta with the AAZ engine in it, no airbags and passenger glove box....

I have a hard time believing that it came that was from VW, for US import.

Steve
Here's the vin number for his car. I'll see if I can get some photos on the fifth injector paraphernalia. 3vwrf81h5wm123448

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nope. That was just a '96 Passat thing, OBD-D. The old "smoke fix", since the idea of injecting diesel into the exhaust to keep the catalyst hot didn't work. Although newer GM trucks do this, but they have a much better strategy and it *seems* to be working OK but I am no expert on those.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Would love to see some pics, like you I can't imagine someone going to the effort of transferring the stuff from a 96 Passat to a 98 Mk3, but who knows.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Clown-ass NCC put the 5th injector garbage on my red car using the black plastic BK ECU. Some peoples' children I tell ya. Best bet is to use the FAQ's on this site and delete the hell out of that system. A couple resistors and you're good to go.
I can understand that scenario though. Aside from the fact they do questionable work, if you have one donor you take it all, and in this case it sounds like they had a donor that had not gone through the recall, so they used it as is.

Steve