Exhaust Repair

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
So I need to do a little bit of exhaust repair on my old truck which I sold to a friend, the reason being is that I got a good price for it since I agreed to help if anything goes wrong.

So I need to try and patch things up until warmer months or until he takes it to a shop and gets it done professionally. The problem is in the back of the cat right where the pipe comes out it broke loose, rusted off. I was hoping to use the welder, stick or torch, to put it back together well enough to last a little while before he has the money together to fix it up right.

Here is where I have questions, would it be better to use the torch, oxy-acetelyne, or the stick which I am better with, a basic AC arc welder? Also if I use the stick welder is there any chance of harming any of the electronics, I heard of problems when using heli-arc welders on vehicles?

It is a 1993 GMC Sonoma that is in question, thats why I am posting in general automotive.

Any help is apreciated, I plan on doing it on friday morning and Ill get a better look at how thin everything is then.

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
The welding shops may us a 12vdc surge protector across the + & - posts if the battery posts are not removed.

Make sure to take off the battery leads.

Weld away.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The real problem with welding on a vehicle is the high frequency arc starter/stabilizer, AC might also not be very friendly to the ECU. A scratch-start TIG welder would be better, but disconnect the ECU and battery before doing any AC welding work on the vehicle.