Exhaust Question...

BeckyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Canyon Red
My question is...

Straight pipes. Yes or no.

Would it be worth the $70? Are they loud?...I've found a "silencing straight pipe"....

Will a shop put it on? Because...aren't they illegal and will not pass safety with one?

Any input and help would be great!

Thanks!

-=PYRO=-

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JET TDI
BeckyTDI said:
My question is...

Straight pipes. Yes or no.

Would it be worth the $70? Are they loud?...I've found a "silencing straight pipe"....

Will a shop put it on? Because...aren't they illegal and will not pass safety with one?

Any input and help would be great!

Thanks!
If you're referring to by-passing the cat then thats illegal unless the vehicle is a 1989 or older. They are not loud as the muffler takes care of most of the noise. They are not worth it. These days you can get high flow cats...of coarse they cost alot more than a straight pipe but you will be burning better cleaner exhaust. A straight pipe should cost about $10 for parts. On my turbo probe I notice a diff in power compared to the stock cat.
If you are talking about replacing the muffler with a straight pipe then Its going to be loud!! I would say its too loud and would "junk" up ur car. I believe there is a law pertaining to the noise level of your exaust but I don't know how loud is too loud. I'd stick with a nice muffler. I have one and its loud as hell (sets car alarms off)at higher rpms but is tame at lower rpm's hope this helps.

Last edited:

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
-=PYRO=- said:
If you are talking about replacing the muffler with a straight pipe then Its going to be loud!! I would say its too loud and would "junk" up ur car. I believe there is a law pertaining to the noise level of your exaust but I don't know how loud is too loud. I'd stick with a nice muffler. I have one and its loud as hell (sets car alarms off)at higher rpms but is tame at lower rpm's hope this helps.
There is not a huge difference in noise in the TDI. Listen to this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6317122758601953328&q=tdi

From what I've learned chatting with others and reading on here, there really isn't much to be gained from the mufflerectomy. Some believe that lag and spool up time are decreased, others can't see a difference. Noise is marginally increased, but still nothing like standing next to a stock big-block under power. You're definetly decreasing backpressure so, in theory, it should spool up quicker. Whether this is an advantage or not... who knows. Give it a shot, you can always bolt it back on if you're not happy.

I wonder if my wife would even notice.... Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
The only reason I would do a muffler ectemy is the EGT drop (some say about 100 degrees depending on other mods to the car). (pass it off to the wife as a longevity mod) ;)

BrianHarrison

TDIClub Enthusiast, Registered Vendor , w/Business
TDI
Golf GLS TDI 2005, Touareg V10 TDI 2004
I put a stainless straight pipe on my 97 Jetta TDI last summer and I really couldn't tell the difference as far as noise goes. It was from the catalytic converter back using the original hangers. I had it custom made by Percy at the Clayton Park CTC. He does a good job on custom stainless bending. My reason for doing it was it's lower in cost than the original stock exhaust that was broken after about 230,000 km. It's hard to say if there was a performance increase but with 205 nozzles the throttle response was excellent and way better than my recently aquired 2002 Golf TDI. I'll be doing a straight pipe on it when ever I get a chance. A friend of mine has his 95 Passat td done that way as well as his 94 Golf td. In all cases the catalytic converter is still intact and in use, just remainder of the exhaust sytem is removed.
Brian

Bmarc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I might have to do this soon. I think my exhaust is developing a hole which is expected, the car does have 247,500 clicks on it.

BeckyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Canyon Red
Ok, so, the straight pipe IS a good idea?

I like the sound of that one in the lil video clip...

-=PYRO=-

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JET TDI
BeckyTDI said:
Ok, so, the straight pipe IS a good idea?

I like the sound of that one in the lil video clip...
Straight pipe has different meanings. To me straight pipe is from cat back. If you can get this for $70 do it. the shop on cobequid rd will install it. They are right by esso. I bought oversized straight pipe(including cat to muffler) from them installed on my turbo probe for $100!! They bend their own pipe there.

Bootre

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI, 2003, Indego Blue
I had a straight pipe on mne for a bit and around town I liked the sound but on the highway at a steady 120km it was a bit anoying.

I then put on a Cherry Bomb from Canadain Tire and that helped reduce the highway noise but was still a straight through pipe.

Go see Martin at Halifax AutoSport, he will cut out your old muffler and weld in a straight pipe for less that $70.

98GTDI

TDI
13 A3 Competition Daytona Grey
I have a straight pipe from turbo back, Golf with 98 TDI swap.
No big deal in the noise area but it definately gives a snappy responce.
On a newer model I would be cautious about the legal aspects, you are not even suposed to change your CAT unless it is dead!
My car is not registered in NS so I have no problem with the cops here ;-)