Exhaust Flap Sticking Open - Any Problems With That?

doubledls

TDI
Jetta, 1999.5 A4, black, 2009 Jetta 6 M, black
I have a 2009 VW Jetta TDI with 6 speed manual transmission and 74,000 miles. The exhaust flap or valve has been sticking open on and off. It usually resets itself, however I have noticed I am getting about 3 to 4 mpg better mileage when the flap is stuck open. I turn the key on and off and use a code scanner to clear/reset the error code PF-047 which comes on when the flap sticks open. I plan to get it replaced under the VW warranty but just have not had the time to get to the dealer. Any problem letting this go on for a while?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
According to the "Self Study Guide":
Effect of Failure:
Regeneration of the NOx storage catalyst
does not take place.

Since VW is replacing these flapper valves for free, I would suggest getting it replaced as son as possible. You really do not want your NOx Storage catalyst to get clogged and have to pay to replace that part also.

Have Fun!

Don

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback
I also think this valve partially closes during DPF regens to hold heat in the DPF.. You want to get this fixed asap.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The exhaust flap is not involved in DPF regeneration. I put a thousand miles on, watching successful DPF regen cycles via scangauge with a valve stuck open and MIL indicated. The intake valve is used for DPF regeneration, but that does not seem to stick so much, and would give a different error indication P code.

As Don said, the exhaust flap valve is used to regulate EGR flow, which is required for the NOX regen.

your increase in MPG is from skipping the NOX regen.

the DPF regen uses extra fuel to heat the DPF and provide a fuel lean, oxygen rich exhaust.

the NOX regen uses extra fuel to provide extra hydrocarbons to react with the NOX.

you still want to get it fixed, to be a responsible citizen, and to make the MIL go out. if you drive too far with the MIL lit, you may miss another issue which would be more important to take care of right away.

it also could decide to stick closed further shut than mine did, which could result in more of an issue.

a couple months ago, I had the same error, (and eventually a stuck closed one to go with it)
After understanding the impact, and verifying there were no other stored codes to worry about, I decided to drive it while I ordered one, and then waited for a break in my ski schedule to fix.

Last edited:

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
Good to know. My light has been coming on and going off on its own. After reading this I had better get it fixed. Anyone have the Canadian TSB for this? I have found the American one. I currently have 160,000kms.

skiers

TDI
2009 jetta tdi sportwagen
The exhaust flap is not involved in DPF regeneration. I put a thousand miles on, watching successful DPF regen cycles via scangauge with a valve stuck open and MIL indicated. The intake valve is used for DPF regeneration, but that does not seem to stick so much, and would give a different error indication P code.

As Don said, the exhaust flap valve is used to regulate EGR flow, which is required for the NOX regen.

your increase in MPG is from skipping the NOX regen.

the DPF regen uses extra fuel to heat the DPF and provide a fuel lean, oxygen rich exhaust.

the NOX regen uses extra fuel to provide extra hydrocarbons to react with the NOX.

you still want to get it fixed, to be a responsible citizen, and to make the MIL go out. if you drive too far with the MIL lit, you may miss another issue which would be more important to take care of right away.

it also could decide to stick closed further shut than mine did, which could result in more of an issue.

a couple months ago, I had the same error, (and eventually a stuck closed one to go with it)
After understanding the impact, and verifying there were no other stored codes to worry about, I decided to drive it while I ordered one, and then waited for a break in my ski schedule to fix.
I have the same issue. And light has been on for about a month. Sounds like no long term issues will result?? What was the cost in replacing it?

skiers

TDI
2009 jetta tdi sportwagen
What care costs involved in fixing this? I have a bunch of stuff to fix including replacing timing belt, replacing a (loud and getting louder) rear wheel bearing, and now this....trying to prioritize financially speaking....thanks!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB