Exhaust drone advice

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I currently have a 3" exhaust with the aero exhaust 3030, non resonated version. I noticed after upgrading to pd150, gtd1756vrk, and a larger lower pipe towards the smic the drone is loud especially in the cabin.

it wasn't an issue before with a vnt 17 and stock intake.

will a resonator help with this? I've read that sticking out the muffler further out will help. It was either get the aero exhaust 3030xl or the resonator.

love the sound of the exhaust but the drone in the cabin is killer. It gets upwards of 95 decibels especially up a hill.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I currently have a 3" exhaust with the aero exhaust 3030, non resonated version. I noticed after upgrading to pd150, gtd1756vrk, and a larger lower pipe towards the smic the drone is loud especially in the cabin.

it wasn't an issue before with a vnt 17 and stock intake.

will a resonator help with this? I've read that sticking out the muffler further out will help. It was either get the aero exhaust 3030xl or the resonator.

love the sound of the exhaust but the drone in the cabin is killer. It gets upwards of 95 decibels especially up a hill.
I had similar issue, in my case the 3” was turn down like the OEM exhaust. The cure was removed the turn down tip and get a 1.8t rear valance instead of cutting the Tdi one where the tailpipe exits.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I had similar issue, in my case the 3” was turn down like the OEM exhaust. The cure was removed the turn down tip and get a 1.8t rear valance instead of cutting the Tdi one where the tailpipe exits.
I don't got the turn down tip anymore but have a muffler from aeroexhaust . I did cutout the stock valance. I'll have to find a 1.8t rear valance. plus it will look cleaner.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've read the resonator helps a bit with the sound. But I would try a temporary extension. If that does it, install permanent, pretty exit.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
I currently have a 3" exhaust with the aero exhaust 3030...
Ah, missed that part, went to their webzite and in the description they say

This muffler achieves incredible performance and improved gas mileage all while creating one of the smoothest, throaty sounds on the market. Additionally, there is no packing or moisture collecting material in the muffler.

If you've measured 94dB I bet switching to something with a little damping material like a 2.5 or 3 inch flowmaster would lower that, or if you want to keep the Aero muffler maybe add a 2.5" resonator to break up the sound waves if you can sweeze it in somewhere.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
My 3" fully straightpiped BEW droned badly with the turn down pointed down. I tilted it somewhat towards the outside and it greatly improved. I will be swapping to a non-turndown tip with my new rear valance so I guess I'll find out if it drones!

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Ah, missed that part, went to their webzite and in the description they say

If you've measured 94dB I bet switching to something with a little damping material like a 2.5 or 3 inch flowmaster would lower that, or if you want to keep the Aero muffler maybe add a 2.5" resonator to break up the sound waves if you can sweeze it in somewhere.

I was able to get it tuned a bit to quiet down but still kinda loud up the grade with the kiddos in the back. Gonna do a resonator and should help. I would of gone with flow master but I already have the aero exhaust 3030. My inlaw got a spare resonator for me so it should help

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
My 3" fully straightpiped BEW droned badly with the turn down pointed down. I tilted it somewhat towards the outside and it greatly improved. I will be swapping to a non-turndown tip with my new rear valance so I guess I'll find out if it drones!
rear valance I need for sure! the junkyards are plentiful here

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
rear valance I need for sure! the junkyards are plentiful here
I bought a deeper, aftermarket version like the GLI. Secondary benefit is that it clears the eurohitch better than the original valance.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
update:
installing resonator after cat before muffler towards the rear helped a little bit, but drone at causing especially at higher rpms on a hill.
Exhaust tip is extended about an inch out with a custom cut out. May need to try a 1.8t rear valance.