Exhaust belch at start

EBiehn

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
So was wondering why this 02 belches exhaust at start. Also wondering if there is an additive to help clean out the intake manifold without taking the thing apart. It was cleaned out professionally 5 yrs ago.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I think it is normal for a diesel to belch an initial puff of smoke (as in diesel puff not oil unless the engine is worn) when it initially starts

All my pick ups and diesel vehicles do it and , come to think of it, my diesel equipment does it as well.

Of course the above is based on my stuff being older (2003 being the newest) so maybe newer diesels have this figured out with diesel particulate traps etc....

I've never seen anybody try burning out an intake while it is on the car .... THAT could make for an interesting You Tube video.

I think it needs to be taken off and cleaned.

Andrew

EBiehn

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
Thanks for the reply. I’m not overly concerned especially knowing the age of the car and believing that has something to do with it. Looking for feedback is all

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It is possible your intake may be possibly plugged, but due to the fact the problem only occurs during startup, I have to solidly rule out intake manifold.
My Jetta puffs a little white smoke upon starting, generally only when cold.
Franko6 just rebuilt my injectors, so I know it is not from needle drip.
The old injectors were 1 & 4, looked clean, 2 had a bit of carbon, and #3 had carbon thick enough to scrape off, so I was hoping the white smoke was from cylinder 2 or 3, it did not work out that way.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
So was wondering why this 02 belches exhaust at start. Also wondering if there is an additive to help clean out the intake manifold without taking the thing apart. It was cleaned out professionally 5 yrs ago.
NORMAL for an ALH engine TDI during the winter months in cold areas during a cold start.