Excessive oil consumption- Rings? Valve guides?

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
My 2000 Jetta uses alot of oil. 1/2 quart every fuel fill-up (600-700mi/tank). Some of my mods include a ported head, cam, RC5, 17/22 turbo, and FMIC. There is 274,000 miles on the car.
  • The compression test yeilded 400psi for all four
  • There was no visible oil in the intercooler piping
  • There were no visible sreaks of oil on the engine, or visible leaks
  • The head was rebuilt with all new valves, seals, springs and associated components when it was ported

My questions are:
  • Is it the piston rings?
  • Could the head porter taken a little too much meat off around the valve guides, causing them to wiggle and loose oil?
  • Could it be the valve guides/seals anyway?
  • Could I be loosing oil out of the elephant hose?

I wouldn't mind hearing from Frank06 on the valve guide issues, as he is very knowledgable about those things.

Any help and insights would be appreciated!

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
If you had excessive blow by you would see oil on the floor (if you are vented to the atmosphere) and excessive smoke out out of your vent.

Any hint of oil smell in the exhaust?

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
TBH the compression sounds a little low. I had similar problems but it did turn out to be my turbo that was the culprit.

Assuming your turbo is good the next assumption would be rings. As for your elephant hose is it going straight to atmosphere? I know mine leaks quite a bit and I have a catch can on it for that very reason. I don't think I lost a half a quart to it every tank though. Best idea would be to measure it though and take a look.

Frank is far too reputable to screw something up like a bad port and polish and not say something or stand behind it so I highly doubt your head is your cause.

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
My elephant hose is vented to atmosphere. I do see smoke arising from the front of the car at stoplights, and I have been curious as to how much is actually lost through it. Could I rig a catch can McGyver style, or is it best to purchase one?

Frank06 did not port my head, I just wanted to know if he had any insights. The guy that ported the head has done a few others for KROUT, and KROUT said he has had no problems with any of his.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Frank is far too reputable to screw something up like a bad port and polish and not say something or stand behind it so I highly doubt your head is your cause.
The OP never said Frank did the head work; the wording of the second to last sentence makes me think Frank didn't do the head work actually.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
My best guess is rings. Compression is low too. 275k and a heavy tune is asking alot. Ring tension might be gone. When did oil burning start?

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought the car at ~250k mi. It has burned oil ever since I bought it.

Ski in NC: I used to live in Southport for a little while. I am originally from Raleigh.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
I second Ski's guess- could be worn/weak/sticking rings. - Have you or the previous owner run anything besides dino diesel in the engine?
Did you try leak down test?

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I occasionally will run B5 if i can find it. I havent done a leak down test. Is that where you check compression and let it sit and see how long it takes to leak all the pressure out?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I would look into the turbo. How many miles on the turbo? I know you mentioned there was little oil in the intake piping. There was one member that had a turbo seal fail on the turbine (exhaust) side.

He would smoke a lot of gray, and nearly drained the crankcase oil.

Tony

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
10-20k miles on the turbo when I bought the car, so about 50-60 k miles now.

When I get a chance, I will raise up the car and pop off the down pipe and take a look for oil.

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
took the exhaust pipe off the outlet side of the turbo: just dry soot, no oily gunk.

I Called Total Seal to see if I could get a set of their Gapless rings, but he didnt know if they made them for my car. Does anyone know where I can get a set of the Gapless rings for ALH pistons?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Check with member Franko6; "Cyl Head repair" link in my signature.

Tony

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I talked to Franko6, Brian (alphaseinor), and K5ING. They helped me narrow it down to the rings. I am going to rig up a catch-can with a 1L bottle and see if any significant amount of oil is being ejected into the air through the elephant hose, to eliminate it as a possibility.

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got the used oil analysis back from blackstone, they agree that it is most likely the rings.

Last edited: