Excess play in shifter?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I've been wondering if this is "excess" or normal for a while. It's had this amount of play since I bought it used last year.
Recently installed a DG S6 and noticed no reduction in side to side play.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about
Starts in 3rd gear to show amount of play then "N" then back to 3rd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9NvbvMaGCs

This video was taken after I installed the DG S6.

Efchou

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 6spd
I have the DGS6 installed as well, I believe this is normal behavior in 3rd and 4th. Will double check on mine and get back to you. :)

EDIT: the little bit of play in each gear is normal; I've had mine that way for over 40k miles. Are you sure the side to side reduction isn't describing the side to side from neutral? It does reduce that quite a bit.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....is it just me?

are we really talking about "play" in connection with an automatic (whatever the name) transmission.

Now I've see it all (not to be less than respectful to those who choose not to shift for themelves).

ez

OilBurningBrit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
Nope ... this is another example of abbreviations gone wild. You're thinking of the DSG gearbox, but just for fun this thread (and several others) are using "DG" to mean Diesel Geek" and then to further confuse matters, "S6" instead of "Sigma 6", which is the specific product. This yields "DGS6". Alphabet soup, and tough on the brain cells sometimes to figure out what people are talking about.

I really do wish people would define their abbreviations!

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Mine looks very similar, I just checked it, the shift gating is inside the transmission, all the DieselGeek Sigma 6 does is change the geometry of the linkage, the gate slop will be there untill ou change the shifter housing and or the transmission.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Mine looks very similar, I just checked it, the shift gating is inside the transmission, all the DieselGeek Sigma 6 does is change the geometry of the linkage, the gate slop will be there untill ou change the shifter housing and or the transmission.
I checked the transmission itself and found very little, if any, slop. It would appear to be the shifter itself.

It's just enough slop to be annoying but not quite enough to make me tear it apart and see where the slop is coming from. At least not yet... When I have some extra time I may dig into it and see.