Exact Turbo Model on 2014-2016 North American Q5 TDI

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Does anyone know for sure? I believe it's a GTB2260VZK but different websites show different models like the GTB2056VZK and even the GTB2260VK. My engine code is CPNB if that helps.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They are not all the same, as there have been several interchangeable supercessions on the V6 engines. All I can tell you for sure is that they all seem to be of Garrett-Honeywell origin. I believe the most current part number is the M suffix, and that is for most all the V6 TDIs from (depending on model) 2012-forward.

It is very possible that if you got a new unit from Volkswagen (or in this case, Audi) it would be a newer VAG part number as well as a different Garrett number that what is currently on the car.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Correct, my part number is 059145874M. I have narrowed it down to the GTB2056 however it appears they changed from GTB2056VK to GTB2056VZK at some point in time it's just not clear exactly when. Thank you for your input.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I know the VZK is ever so slightly improved but that's about it. Do you know the details of the differences?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So often times, the OEM manufacturers assign different part numbers (usually a modifier thereof, like a suffix or extra/alternate letter) to distinguish between the units manufactured specifically for the OEM on the factory floor, OEM replacements (as sold through a dealership) , and those for aftermarket replacements. It can also be there to differentiate a specific assembly plant where the unit was made. And typically, NONE of that makes any real world difference whatsoever. They will all look/fit/function exactly the same.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Agreed, although from my research it does appear they have ever so slightly different internals but certainly not enough for someone to go through the trouble of upgrading from a VK to a VZK. I am hunting for a mild upgrade that is a direct bolt-on.

@Bobby Singh hit me up!

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
In case anyone else is interested, it appears all North American 3.0TDIs (A6, Q5, Q7, Macan, Cayenne, Toureg) received the GTB2056VZK which maxes out just shy of 300hp.

It appears the exterior housing of the GTB2056VZK and the GTB2260VZK used on various Euro 3.0TDIs are identical with the just slightly larger internals in the GTB2260VZK that allows it to produce up to 330hp. I am sourcing a 2260VZK now which hopefully bolts right up. I will keep you all posted.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
There's a massive, technical turbo post around here if you really want to know how to read the designations, and what they all mean, etc.
Lots of info out on the web as well. Lots of these "direct swap" perceived upgrades have been discussed to death.

I know the VZK is ever so slightly improved but that's about it. Do you know the details of the differences?
VMulti Vane Variable Geometry Turbine
ZCombined Journal/Thrust Bearing
KElectric Actuator
The "aa" & "bb" in a GTXaabb are related to the Turbine and Compressor size.

Bobby Singh

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi 3.0 TDI
Here you might like this: