Evolution Import Skid Plate - Must Have!

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
I bought an Evolution Import Skid plate for my 2000 Beetle TDi as a precautionary measure when I found out I bought the car without one. It was fairly easy to install and actually made the handling better, aerodynamics improve and Engine noise less.

I was driving down 295 south in Florence, NJ on Thursday and out of nowhere I found myself trying to pass over a piece of highway that had been turned up. It was a nice chunk of road that, at first, looked like a McDonald's bag. Gritting my teeth and muttering "Aw, $hit" I went over it and heard a Thud. There was a VW Passat (Don't know if it was a TDi) which as I understand has the same ground clearance as my Beetle following me too close. He had the same Idea as me.....going over it.

He was not so lucky. In the 3 seconds this all took me, I looked in the rear view and saw his vehicle hop, smoke and begin pouring from under the car and him pulling over to the side of the road. I think we all know what happened there...

Anyhow, After my experience that day, I know that the plate has already paid for itself. There was only minor scratches on the plate. I have been out of work now for 2 months, and I cannot afford the trouble that chunk of highway could have me. Completely worth the investment.

http://www.evolutionimport.com/Volkswagen_Skid_Plates_s/17.htm

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Nice to hear that you had a good experience and all went well. I will be ordering one soon cause my car is just a bit low

Harald

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
yeah met with neil and amy? think that was her name, sorry if it's not... at Tony's great people :)

4JimmyVee

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Silver
I'd like to go ahead in buy one of these, but my autoshop thinks that an alluminum plate against the metal underbelly of the car will interact causing the metal to rust quickly. Does anyone have any thoughs on this.

pmarth

TDI
Beetle 2001
I added a panzer skid plate from dieslegeek about 2 weeks ago, looks about the same and install was easy. It's saved me twice in the 2 weeks, a great investment!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
4JimmyVee said:
I'd like to go ahead in buy one of these, but my autoshop thinks that an alluminum plate against the metal underbelly of the car will interact causing the metal to rust quickly. Does anyone have any thoughs on this.
The Evolution skidplate actually has special washers included with the mounting hardware that acts as an insulation just for that. It's a well thought out piece of engineering, not some "copycat" product like others on the market.

And Neil and Amy are excellent people to deal with and extremely nice to talk to as well. I've had the pleasure of meeting them on 3 seperate occasions and each time they were super friendly and very helpful. And who knows, they may just make it to TDI Fest again this year, considering it's in Canada!

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
doc_m said:
how about the aluminum oil pan? as them about that :)
The aluminum oil pan does not have an issue because it is separated from the iron block by a gasket and/or gasket sealer.

Any time you have non-like metals contacting each other, especially when you introduce other chemicals (road salts, acid rain, etc,) a reaction called electrolysis occurs that leads to corrosion and pitting of one or both of the metals.

It looks like Evolution has addressed this issue with the use of non-metallic washers to separate the aluminum plate from the steel on the vehicle.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
DIESELprogrammer said:
The aluminum oil pan does not have an issue because it is separated from the iron block by a gasket and/or gasket sealer.
And the bolts that hold the oil pan ?? What material are they made of ???

Yuri.

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
my panzer plate is mounted to the body via steel rivnuts, so there isn't really much contact between different metals.

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
ymz said:
And the bolts that hold the oil pan ?? What material are they made of ???

Yuri.
It doesn't matter. Generally in non-like metal situation the fasteners are coated or a coated or non-metallic washer is used. If you look at just about any bolt on the car, it has a finish coating. And if you scratch or mar that coating during an R&R, you should apply new coating before re-installing – I do.

BTW: The aluminum oil pan also has a clear coating.

Even back in the 70s when I was adding after market aluminum intakes and valve covers to the engines I built, I always coated the fasteners. You should have seen the extensive precautions we had to take when I worked as a metal fabricator in the shipyards.

Last edited:

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
ScorpionBoy said:
my panzer plate is mounted to the body via steel rivnuts, so there isn't really much contact between different metals.
ANY contact is an issue – Have you ever seen where a stainless steel bolt has been R&R from an aluminum outboard motor or outdrive and they nicked the paint on the aluminum. Just a pin hole or hairline scratch is all it takes.

It is not were the steel plate mounts are connected to the car that is the problem, it is where the aluminum skid plate bolts to the steel plate mounts that is at issue. Initially the aluminum plate probably has a clear coating and the steel plate mount is painted. Apply a coating to the steel mounting bolts, washers, and the drilled hole, and there is no immediate problem. A problem will however arise if vibration or R&R causes the clear coat and paint to wear away or be scratched and the aluminum and steel come in contact with each other. The use of non-metallic washers reduces the odds of this happening to a minimum.

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
i haven't been under there in a month or so, so i don't remember how much contact the plate has with the frame, but it seemed there was not much contact. guess if i see probs i will por15 some spots.