Everything's great!!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup.. no problems whatsoever. Both my 2001 TDIs continue to deliver excellent fuel economy and are a ton of fun to drive.

Emergency brakes cables and rear calipers are fine.

Timing belts and rollers and tensioners and water pumps... all fine.

Puddle lights are fine.

Remote door locks have more than enough range.

Glove boxes and arm rest latches...perfectly serviceable.

In a couple of years my timing belts will be due... and I'll probably need rear brake pads before then, but in the meantime I expect to keep driving 'em... hard... every day. I will of course occasionally add some fuel and even more occasionally a little oil, the odd air filter, etc.

Thought I should keep you all updated on my lack of problems. :D:D:D:D

Vince

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Wow, thanks, Vince! And just in time, too, as I was scratching my head the other day wondering how you were doing up there in the great white north.

Glad everything's OK!!!

:D

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Everything is OK down here in Texas, too! ALL SYSTEMS GO!!;)

(I sure don't miss visiting Edmonton @ -25F like the last time I was there!):D

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
All is fine here in SC as well.
I panicked over a recent 80 mph trip only getting me 43 mpg, but found I had forgotten to keep my tire pressure up to 41 psig. Mileage is now back to its normal 50 mpg (47 mpg at 80 mph). (I averaged 52.5 mpg for my first year with my 2005.)

My wife's 2010 CJAAA DSG Jetta only gets 41 mpg; but then she only gets 41 mpg when she drives my 2005 as well. She is a bistable driver - one foot is pressing down all the time, either brake or fuel...

I usually do not waste bandwidth and time reporting the good stuff, but maybe I should do it more often.

I have met and helped dozens of fine people over the last year on this club. It is a great hobby and a large source of satisfaction to me. The people that drive these cars and post on this club are, generally speaking, fine human beings.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
All is well down here in the Peach State as well. I have owned my TDI for almost 2 years now and still get excited to go out and drive it. I can't imagine ever going back to using gasoline on a daily basis...aside from using my truck or driving the family minivan.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Just rolled over 300,000 mi. on my golf a few weeks ago. Had a blowout 3 days ago on one of my 8 year old fronts. Got 4 new tires and I'm doing the rear brakes whenever I get a chance (last time I did them was at 70K miles!)

43.6 on the last fill up!

Everything's great!

Graham Archer

Veteran Member
TDI
96 & 97 Passat, 99.5 Jetta, 00 Golf
Everything out in California is doing fine. The most difficult repair of late has been a new set of tires ... I had to wait a whole hour in the hot sun.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
I have the exact same problem here in Arizona. Have to work on other cars just to have something to do.

Fortunately, a friend has a 2.2 GM product that jumped the timing chain and bent the valves at 79,000 miles. No recommended service interval on that either, just wait for the unhappy surprise. Google 2.2 ecotech timing chain and see what real poor design looks like.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
My car's also superb over here in Scotsmanland, only reason to tinker is cause I'm bored not tinkering. :D

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Alls well in Eastern Washington. The only issue I am having was a self induced mod. And it is not even a big issue, more of an annoyance. 46 on the last tank, looking to get back my 49 after correctly inflating the tires.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
My TDI continues to be trouble-free. I'd not hesitate to jump in and drive across the US in it.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
All's well here also.

To the person who mentioned the 2.2 Ecotec timing chain.

Done many of those for people. Replace a few valves, new chain setup, good to go.

The chains on those are the easiest chains ever. I like the design of that engine.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Doing well here in BC, only issue is waiting on my ordered vag com cable and nozzles haha... ugh and my wife has one of those pesky 2.2 ecotecs as well, engine is good the rest of the car (Pontiac G5) is crap, been itching to replace it with a TDI! :D

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
So far so good with the TDI south of the border. It is surviving the rugged roads of Mexico (suspension has been shot for quite some time and look forward to replacing a lot of parts).

The TDI is surviving the stop and go traffic that Monterrey MX has to offer and I am set to make another 2600mile roundtrip soon...perhaps another 1800 if I visit CT.

FIngers crossed!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
All's well here in Baltimore now that the Passat has it's new boost hose and charge air system seals.

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
All is fine here in SC as well.
I panicked over a recent 80 mph trip only getting me 43 mpg, but found I had forgotten to keep my tire pressure up to 41 psig. Mileage is now back to its normal 50 mpg (47 mpg at 80 mph). (I averaged 52.5 mpg for my first year with my 2005.)

My wife's 2010 CJAAA DSG Jetta only gets 41 mpg; but then she only gets 41 mpg when she drives my 2005 as well. She is a bistable driver - one foot is pressing down all the time, either brake or fuel...

I usually do not waste bandwidth and time reporting the good stuff, but maybe I should do it more often.

I have met and helped dozens of fine people over the last year on this club. It is a great hobby and a large source of satisfaction to me. The people that drive these cars and post on this club are, generally speaking, fine human beings.
Dan, this may be for another place and time to discuss this but I envy 50mpg at 80mph. Besides gearing, I want to know details.

I think MANY fellow TDIers have been very grateful for you to help them out at meets and GTGs. The south has some great folks

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The best I have ever done at 80 indicated is 47 mpg. I usually get 52.5 mpg at 70 mph. These are trips of more than a thousand miles on interstates.
I have often wondered why I get good mileage. The tune perhaps helped, certainly did not hurt (rocketchip 1.5), tire pressure increase definitely impacts it greatly.