Every State West of Ohio

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Every State West of Ohio, contiguous USA

On September 2nd, I will be leaving for my 17 day road trip west. Here is a "mostly" correct map of where I am going. I have adjusted the route slightly to avoid some toll roads. All stops are still correct, except I will be stopping in Eugene OR to visit a friend.

A: Home
B: Taliesin Preservation, WI (just passing through)
C: Mount Rushmore, SD
D: Devils Tower, WY
E: Bowman, ND. Nothing there, just a placeholder so I don't miss a state.
F: Glacier National Park, MT
G: Mount Saint Helens, WA
H: Crater Lake, OR
I: Redwood National Park, CA
First Blue Dot: Manchaster, CA. Placeholder, may hit up the beach
Second Blue Dot: Bodega Bay, CA, also may go see a beach
J: Yosemite National Park, CA
K: Death Valley, CA
L: Parker, AZ. Looking for Saguaro Cactus
M: Grand Canyon, AZ
Red Dot: Vermilion Cliffs National Monument, AZ
Orange Dot: Zion National Park, UT
N: Bryce Canyon, UT
O: Craters of the Moon National Park, ID
P: Yellowstone National Park, WY
Q: Grand Teton National Park, WY
R: Pikes Peak, CO (red letter for some reason)
A: Home, after hitting the last of the states I need.
This route will hit every state west of here.
Route Figures
Total Distance: ~8,700 miles
Total estimated drive time (google maps): 6 days, 8 hours
Time gone: 17 days
Estimating an average of 450 miles per day, after you take out the first day of only driving, and the last 2.5 of only driving.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
You could go straight down I-5 from Mt. St. Helens to Eugene, or you could go south on the route you have and cut over to Hwy 20 in Redmond to Eugene. Either way, you could then go from Eugene take Hwy 58 to Crater Lake.

Also, it looks like Alabama is West of Ohio.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
You missed Alaska and Hawaii. ;^)

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
It looks like while visiting Death Valley, they will make an incursion into Nevada. Rhyolite NV is an interesting ghost town just across the border.

relkins0413

TDI
2015 Golf
Wow, I am planning almost the identical trip myself for next summer. Girlfriend wants to hit up Seattle though. Be safe on your travels and take lots of pics!

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
You could go straight down I-5 from Mt. St. Helens to Eugene, or you could go south on the route you have and cut over to Hwy 20 in Redmond to Eugene. Either way, you could then go from Eugene take Hwy 58 to Crater Lake.
Also, it looks like Alabama is West of Ohio.
Thanks. I'll look into that.
Been to Alabama, so wasn't to worried about going there again.
You missed Alaska and Hawaii. ;^)
Some day I hope. After this trip, those will be 2 of the 4 states I have no visited
Unless they do a little jog from Death Valley, they will miss Nevada too. However, this is not a great loss.:rolleyes:
Have Fun!
Don
I won't miss Nevada. Just another section of the map I adjusted but didn't photoshop a new map yet. I just won't be in Nevada for long
I'm sure I'll have a blast. Thanks
It looks like while visiting Death Valley, they will make an incursion into Nevada. Rhyolite NV is an interesting ghost town just across the border.
That is roughly the plan. I'll look into if I am near Rhyolite and check it out if so.
Wow, I am planning almost the identical trip myself for next summer. Girlfriend wants to hit up Seattle though. Be safe on your travels and take lots of pics!
That's awesome.
Thanks. You too

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
You're hitting a few of the places I was planning on checking out. I think there are a few I'll have to add. I don't really have much of a plan. Just heading out with a few ideas, a travel trailer, and some gear. Planning on hitting up a bunch of free BLM and state park camping sites and rest stops where necessary.

Looks like you'll have a ton of fun on your trip. What are your planned sleeping accomodations?

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
You're hitting a few of the places I was planning on checking out. I think there are a few I'll have to add. I don't really have much of a plan. Just heading out with a few ideas, a travel trailer, and some gear. Planning on hitting up a bunch of free BLM and state park camping sites and rest stops where necessary.

Looks like you'll have a ton of fun on your trip. What are your planned sleeping accomodations?
Sleeping in the car. I bought a car hammock that I have tested a few times and works great. I have also slept in the passenger seat a few times and that is fine as well.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You will be pretty close to the TDI Fest.

Just sayin.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Just wave as you pass through Wisconsin.

(and share a couple photos, if you have time)

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
Sleeping in the car. I bought a car hammock that I have tested a few times and works great. I have also slept in the passenger seat a few times and that is fine as well.
I'm too tall for the passenger's seat option, too uncomfortable not being able to stretch my legs out and have my knees straight. I'm also a side sleeper.

Hiked Angle's Landing at Zion today, incredible. Not for the faint of heart or out of shape. Amazing views and well worth it, even if you get faked out several times thinking you are at the top.

There is a pretty nice place to stop and camp for free on Rt9 heading East out of the park. It's only a few miles from the gate. I can PM you the info if you want.
A tiny bit of light pollution over the edge of one of the mountains, but otherwise perfectly dark. Great spot for some astrophotography if you have something that you can mess with the ISO and shutter speed. I have some cool shots with my silhouette in a lawn chair staring off at the milkyway. I really can't wait to get to a good computer to see how those came out.

Last edited:

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
Pike's Peak was fun, more free camping near by.

Take your time going up to take in the views, and down for the different perspective and to save your brakes. I kept it in first (manual) and cruised at 15 on the way down, second required brakes. People were on my tail, but I'd pull off the road for pictures or to let them by. I beat them down anyway because they had to pull off at the checkpoint because their brakes were too hot.

Once you take one loop up and back to take in the scenery and have an idea for what the corners and curves are like, then you turn around and head back up to have a boatload of fun in the corners and switchbacks. Give plenty of room to give yourself the space to accelerate and slow back down in the straightaways so you don't use up all the space, or grab attention and get yourself booted; the speed limit is pretty low.

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Thank you Skydvr. That is great info

I am a bit out of shape, but might try the climb anyway.
I do enjoy astrophotography quiet a lot actually, and was hoping to get some beautiful shots while I'm out. Thank you for that. If you have the info on the location for that camp, I would love to have it.

What was the cost (if any) to drive up pikes peak? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Was it worth it?

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
Okay, this is my third[\s] eighth time trying this (thankfully I copy and pasted on the third), Safari on my iPad crashes every time I try to add pictures or a link. I was going to post screen shots of where to get in, but I'll just have to manually add a link and you can zoom into the area on mapping software. Hybrid view will help once you have the general area up, you can see the gravel area with the satellite image. The access is from a marked road.

Pike Peak $12, well worth it. First time up and back, enjoy the views, turn around and have fun.

Look into a National Park Pass. My grandparents offered me theirs, but I forgot to get it from them. Parks that charge entry fees are $30 each, it gets expensive fast. Thankfully I hit the free entry days for the 100th anniversary of the creation of the National Parks system.

The entrance to the camping area is on 9 coming into the park from the East. Looks like it would be on your way out of the park for your route. You would have to pay to go through to get to it, or go around. Not a short trip. There should be more on the way in if you need that as an option. Although if you get to the area early enough to hike Angle's Landing (4-6 hrs depending on ability and time spent taking in the views) you may want a place to sleep when you get back down. You can climb down the face a little bit past the stacked rocks. Not many people realze you can venture down there and would be a great place for a quite lunch/snack. Some really interesting plants that are great inspiration for bonsai if you are into that.

The road in to the campsite is on Google Maps, probably others as well. It is service road 71. Take the second entrance to the camping area 71B as 71A is washed out and not passable without a truck or Jeep. 71B should be fine unless you are lowered with no skid, then it may be questionable, but probably still passable.

I ended up giong up the hill to the right once in the main gravel area and put my travel trailer between those two sites up there. Over the dirt berm is another site. I set up my chair on the berm and had an amazing view.

If you are looking for a quiet spot, I would avoid weekends if possible as it looks like the area may be a local party spot then. A few used condoms and beer cans in the main gravel area, but the sites were clean. Could have been some random A-holes. A great spot to use them if no one else is around, but leaving them behind was a douche move.

This is dispersed camping so no amenities. If you are not familiar with using dispersed camping, check the national park services website for rules. No dumping waste water (includes dish washing, toothpaste, etc), use cat holes (pack out TP), pack out what you pack in....

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvi...campsites.net/#!28673&query=sitedetails[\url]

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
You can use that site in the last link to find free camping where ever you are going. Some of the listings aren't the greatest and it can take some work searching a map before getting there to figure it out, but most listings are pretty decent. Two and a half weeks and I haven't paid for a site and only used a rest area once because I was exhausted and wasn't sure I would be able to find my intended site in the dark. I really didn't want to end up having to backtrack and end up at that rest area an hour and a half later anyway.
Thankfully California enforces the no idling, so you don't have to deal with drivers idling their trucks with their lights blazing all night.

Last edited:

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Perfect Skydvr. Thanks a ton. I planned on getting a national park pass just because it will be less in the long run.

I'm going to check out your pictures and everything in the morning. Thanks again.

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
Glad I could help. You gave me a few ideas for places to stop. I was just driving and winging it.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Looks like a fine trip. As written before, too bad you can't swing up to Sturgeon Bay, WI for TDI Fest 2016. If you plan to go I-90/I-94 through Chicago, you'll have plenty of time to take in the skyline, as you will no doubt be in stop-n-go on the Edens Expressway.

Um, Alabama is west of Ohio, and your missing it in your plan.

Have fun!

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Looks like a fine trip. As written before, too bad you can't swing up to Sturgeon Bay, WI for TDI Fest 2016. If you plan to go I-90/I-94 through Chicago, you'll have plenty of time to take in the skyline, as you will no doubt be in stop-n-go on the Edens Expressway.

Um, Alabama is west of Ohio, and your missing it in your plan.

Have fun!
If I had the time I would stop by TDIfest, but I don't think it is possible.

I know about Alabama, but I've been there, so I'm skipping it. Just like Missouri.

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
Fuel up before hitting some of the more populated areas, especially in California. Price swings get crazy. You can have $3.34/gal, then two exits later (short distance) have the same brand station at $2.65/gal. I saw price differences of over a dollar within a few miles of eachother. Sometimes 50¢ or more cheaper across the street. Their prices are all over the place.

KS and MO had the lowest prices so far. Co, AZ, NV, and NM weren't far behind. Not much of a price difference between the states. Fill up before hiting the coastal states, the price difference isn't huge, but you'll notice the difference.

Where have you made it to so far?

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
I ended up going through ND. Made it to MN not too long ago.

Let me know if your route feels mostly down hill, at least the East and West portions. Of course there are hills and mountain passes, but going clockwise, it has felt like a constant upward climb. Although, you are heading further South on your return leg, so you will probably see different results.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Fuel up before hitting some of the more populated areas, especially in California. Price swings get crazy. You can have $3.34/gal, then two exits later (short distance) have the same brand station at $2.65/gal. I saw price differences of over a dollar within a few miles of eachother. Sometimes 50¢ or more cheaper across the street. Their prices are all over the place.

KS and MO had the lowest prices so far. Co, AZ, NV, and NM weren't far behind. Not much of a price difference between the states. Fill up before hiting the coastal states, the price difference isn't huge, but you'll notice the difference.

Where have you made it to so far?
For God's sakes stay away from Chevron stations, especially in California. Their prices are routinely at least 50¢ to 60¢ higher than other major brands.

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
By the way, do you have a link for the car hammock you got?

I was talking with some people today and I mentioned it and ended up looking it up, but the stuff I came up with was pretty impractical and kind of rediculous.