Ever heard of DTC 17058? ? ?

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
Just scanned (Snap On System) my car ('02 Jetta TDI 5 Speed) for a MIL that came on the other day. Came up "17058 SHIFT SOLENOID E OCCURS IMMEDIATELY" ! ! ! I have a stick
. This code doesn't show up in the Bentley anywhere! Cleared the code and it hasn't came back on yet - Fluke or what? (or maybe a glitch?) Thanks

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The code actually translates into a glow plug fault at cylinder #4, but since the wiring is backwards on the harness, its actuall cylinder #1 that is causing it. Either its a bad glow plug or some corrosion on the harness. Since your code has not returned, I woudld bet its just a bit of corrosion. Just pull off the harness and spray some contact cleaner or better yet some deoxidiser in the terminals. For more details, click on my signature and read the second link.

Diesel924

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, Reflex Silver
Get a VAG-COM. I have the Snap On MT2500 and I don't use it on VW's. It will give you the wrong code I.D. and make you chase shadows. For the cost of the cart you could have bought a used laptop AND a VAG-COM cable.

master cylinder

TDI
Thanks everyone - #1 glow plug is "open". It is my Brothers system (He paid $500 just for the VW/Audi card and cable
- not counting the system itself!). I am going to get the Vag-Com for myself.

master cylinder

TDI
Dang - if I didn't get a MIL on the way home from work again today - the second one in less than two weeks
. I just got done pulling the engine cover and checking the plugs - all are at 0.2 ohms except for #2 this time - it is open. Just ordered three new ones and will pick up tomorrow morning.

After I replace with all new and all is OK again - can I reset the MIL without Vag-Com? Tell me the trick

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Regardless of what the code is, it will always be stored in the ECM untill it is cleared. But SOME codes will not illuminate the light while remaining stored. Such as the coolant temp sensor or MAF implausable signal codes. After a certain number of starts/stops, the light will stay off. This is not the case with the glow plugs however. I don't know why, but after fixing a glow plug problem, I have not heard of one case where the light went out by itself. So you will have to get it cleared....again.