Even with Snow, Winter Tires are a Waste of Money

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
This seems to come up every once in a while so with respect, I thought I would ask the question here since you all get a tad bit more snow then we do in Ohio. So anyhow, it seems to be the general consensus here that even in snow, that all season tires do just as well (short of 4 wheel drive weather) if not better. After last winter, it seems that winter tires are a waste of money is what a bunch of people keep saying. Anyone go through a snowy winter with all season tires up there care to comment? Thanks in advance.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Actual snow tyres are good, they really do help to get a grip when all else fails. All season tyres aren't really designed for cutting through snow at all, more for wet cold roads.

I'll be sticking a couple of 185/65/15's on a pair of steelies soon myself, just on the front so I can actually get moving lol. I think 225/45/17 wont really do the job at hand :D

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Actual snow tyres are good, they really do help to get a grip when all else fails. All season tyres aren't really designed for cutting through snow at all, more for wet cold roads.

I'll be sticking a couple of 185/65/15's on a pair of steelies soon myself, just on the front so I can actually get moving lol. I think 225/45/17 wont really do the job at hand :D

my words precisely!
Winter tired are 100% worth it.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Quality snow tires are better than any "all season" hands down, check the comparison tests. In the winter by law you must use a RAC approved winter tire in the province of Quebec

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
I must admit that last winter was a bit of a bust snow wise. I put winter tires and steelies on my 2011 Golf last winter and was wondering why. They did give better grip when you look at the <7 degree Celcius temps we had. The all season or 3 season as some would call them would have hardened up with the low temps. Thus giving less than optimal traction. I've driven front wheel drive rigs with all seasons in the past and they performed okay in light snow and driving according to the road conditions. Mostly I went with winter tires on the Golf because I believe our Ontario government will make it law that you must have winter tires installed. They did that in the province of Quebec a few years back. It's really your call as to what you do. It's always good to get some feedback on a topic. Especially one that will cost you $$$. Having said all that. I'm a firm believer that winter/snow tires are hands down better in winter than all season. Even if we have a none snow winter as last year, the better grip with low temps will make the difference traction wise.

Last edited:

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
Cost of tires is about the same as the deductible you will have to pay for a minor accident. Rubber on all seasons gets hard (like a hockey puck) when it is cold; not for winter tires - nice and grippy. You can stop a lot more quickly. Look at the tests done by Tire Rack for proof.

mecne

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Jetta TDI
I communte 2 hours a day .. 95% highway ..
Snow Tires are definitely an asset and some insruance companies here give discounts if you proove you have snow tires.. and even the law in Quebec .

Transport Quebec website on winter tires. http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pa...s/reglement_utilisation_pneus_hiver#mandatory

"Since 2008, the Highway Safety Code provides for the following:

“Between December 15 to March 15, the owner of a taxi or passenger vehicle registered in Québec may not put the vehicle into operation unless it is equipped with tires specifically designed for winter driving, in compliance with the standards prescribed by government regulation. The prohibition also applies to any person renting out passenger vehicles not equipped with that type of tires.”

It is important to remember that in terms of road safety, winter tires have proven their worth. They ensure that the vehicle has better stability when braking, make it possible to stop in a shorter distance and help the driver to stay on course around bends."

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
in a layer of soft snow any tire can grip but in ice or hard pack or ice or slush snow tires will prove their worth. anyone that really knows how to drive in winter can tell you my 1956 Buick Special with all seasons will drive past all the 4 wheel drives in the ditch not because of the tires but because of the driver. You have to back off and drive appropriatly for conditions and the tires your using.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The original post is just not true, winter tires are FAR superior to any all season in winter conditions. They are easily worth the money.

I put my new non-winter tires on one February to drive to Florida. When I got home it had just snowed and there was about 8" in the driveway, and I got about 1/3 of the way in before spinning. I dug down to each tire and swapped to my nearly bald Blizzak's. After swapping, I started the car and easily drove the rest of the way to the barn.

There is no substitute for winter tires.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
in a layer of soft snow any tire can grip
Not sure I'd agree with that, the treads tend to just choke up with snow and you get very little grip if any. I'm talking 195's and wider but that's how I find it.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
After driving with four good snow tires....going back to all seasons is actually scary.....it's a significant improvement in grip......since we are wearing out tires anyway, might as well wear out the appropriate ones.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

So, two front winter tires with two all season tires are better in your opinion then 4 winter tires or 4 all season tires?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
So, two front winter tires with two all season tires are better in your opinion then 4 winter tires or 4 all season tires?
Arnie, kinda feels like you are trolling this morning. From a vehicle dynamics viewpoint, would you want one end of your car to have significantly better traction than the other end? You're going to be better off with similar traction characteristics at each corner of the car....and I think you already know that.

Some people believe this Continental DWS (aggressive "all season" tire) is a good solution for those zones of the country where there is minimal snow, FWIW. We've got them on one of our cars, but I've never driven it in the snow and can't comment whether they're any good.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
cut 'n' paste from Discount Tire:

Q. What can happen if I only use two winter tires?

A. Running only two winter tires can cause you to lose control of any vehicle. Here's why:

Front Wheel Drive Vehicles Even though the front wheels are responsible for steering, acceleration and most of the braking, don't forget about the braking done by the rear wheels. If the rear wheels are not equipped with winter tires too, you are essentially disabling the rear brakes due to lack of traction. The following is an example of what can happen using only winter tires on the front.

Traveling along in your neighborhood at 25 mph in just light snow, you begin to slow down to make a right turn. As you apply the brakes, your winter tires are doing their job, giving you all the traction you need to slow down. At the same time, the all-season tires on the rear are giving you much less traction causing the rear of your vehicle to slide around. Perhaps at slow speeds no harm is done, but what if this had occurred at highway speeds?

Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles Many people think that winter tires on the rear will solve the acceleration problem in ice and snow. However, getting your vehicle to accelerate is only half the battle, because you still need to stop. The majority of braking is done with the front brakes, and failing to put tires designed for cold weather on the front of the vehicle can have disastrous consequences. Also, keep in mind that steering is the sole function of the front tires. With insufficient traction on the front tires, it's like not being able to firmly grasp the steering wheel.

Now that you know this, how confident would you feel if your vehicle was equipped with only rear winter tires? What if you were driving on snow, ice, or even cold pavement at 45 mph and suddenly had to brake and swerve to avoid an accident? Chances are you would be unable to stop and turn in time.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
It's not even close. Winter tires make a huge difference when conditions are poor.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
4 snows for me, too. Hands down better than an all season tire.
Four all season are better than two snows and two all seasons but neither are as good as 4 snows

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Snows and AS's are night and day.........if you're driving in snow.

Although the last thing you'll find me cheaping out on are a set of tires.. I find it hilarious people will drop 30k for a car, but cringe at dropping $600-$800 for a set of steelies and snow tires.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
I live on a street with a ever so slight incline, (I guess depending which way you are going.) In the winter when there is snow coverage on the road (before or after the plow) snow tires make a huge difference, to get going and for stopping. In the morning my nieghbour and I pull out at about the same time, I drive away like normal, he sits there spinning his tires. (I always laugh). :D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

At least two on the front to get some sort of traction but not as good as a full set. You just have to keep in mind that the back ones aren't snow tyres and drive appropriately. I personally don't drive very fast in snow ever, been driving far to long and know full well the consequences. Seen plenty of idiots parked in ditches and I don't intend to join them lol

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Don't forget the WRG2 all-weather tire made by Nokian. These were fantastic in Michigan's ever-changing winter road conditions (dry, snow, hard-pack, slush)- even in a RWD vehicle.
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11899&
Agree that these tires are good in the winter, but not really an all-weather tire. Yes, they work all year long, but I find they are too soft in the hot summers vs a good set of all-seasons. For my commute, though, they are a good alternative, thought a little pricey. May review my options again next year when I might need a new set of tires.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Four all season are better than two snows and two all seasons but neither are as good as 4 snows

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Can't comment on only using 2. I never have. All or none in my past.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Never any problems with all-season Michi tires, but we don't get more than 6 inches at a time. (that's what she said!)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I call all-season tires "no season" tires because they're not really good at anything. They sacrifice dry grip for mediocre snow performance. The Michelin Energy all-seasons that came on my '02 were scary in the snow.

Although I rarely got stuck in the snow with all-seasons, the lack of grip made driving much more tense. Try driving in the conditions below for 6 or 8 hours like we did driving to the Detroit Auto Show this year and you'll appreciate snow tires

This trip was done on Conti Extreme Winter Contacts, which are my new favorite snow tire.

Why not use them? You can have them on steel wheels and prevent your alloys from exposure to salt, and if you stick with smaller sizes they don't cost much.