Eurospec Flywheel problem

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
Did a search and found nothing so I thought that I would post this.
I was doing a clutch for a fellow tdi'er last night and ran into a problem I have never had before. The flywheel bolt pattern was off and of course would not match up with the crank. The two holes that are closer would work, but then the other 4 would not line up. Shift the flywheel over a bit the four would line up, but the two would not. I have never seen this with a vw or non vw flywheel before, so it was a first. I gave the flywheel back to the member so he could deal with the vendor, so now the earliest he can get another is Tuesday. :(
I checked the part numbers, they were correct, and no I didn't have any wobbly pops, so that was not a factor. Just surprised thats all about it not working. What I don't like about these flywheels is that they don't have the TDC marking on them. If I have to buy one again for myself I would probably pass on the eurosports because of this lack of forsight.
Oh well, just thought that I would share my frustration, but really its not my car in the end so I am only out some garage space.

Benjamin

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Benjamin said:
Did a search and found nothing so I thought that I would post this.
I was doing a clutch for a fellow tdi'er last night and ran into a problem I have never had before. The flywheel bolt pattern was off and of course would not match up with the crank. The two holes that are closer would work, but then the other 4 would not line up. Shift the flywheel over a bit the four would line up, but the two would not. I have never seen this with a vw or non vw flywheel before, so it was a first. I gave the flywheel back to the member so he could deal with the vendor, so now the earliest he can get another is Tuesday. :(
I checked the part numbers, they were correct, and no I didn't have any wobbly pops, so that was not a factor. Just surprised thats all about it not working. What I don't like about these flywheels is that they don't have the TDC marking on them. If I have to buy one again for myself I would probably pass on the eurosports because of this lack of forsight.
Oh well, just thought that I would share my frustration, but really its not my car in the end so I am only out some garage space.

Benjamin
some of the custom flywheels have a unique pilot/thicker shouldered bolt, and different size shoulders for other bolts/holes. Check the bolt diameters at the shoulders.
Jeff

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Eurospec is notoriusly poor in quality control. I've run into one flywheel like this before. It was loaded into the machine that drills the bolt pattern UPSIDE DOWN. Flip the flywheel so the friction surface faces the block and I bet all the bolt holes line up. Of course the flywheel wont work like this. Return it and get a good one. Who was the supplier? I've tried to tell the usuall suspects that I deal with to double and triple check inventory to prevent this.
Eurospec is a brand, not OEM VW european. Its brilliant marketing that I think makes people think that they are buying a european spec VW part..... Probably made in China.

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
Its one of our online vendors here, I didn't post it on purpose. The vendor is shipping overnight the new flywheel, and I can't say they have anything to do with the problem. I looked at worldpac which is a big ordering system and they don't even carry the oem one anymore. I am wondering if the oem's are drying up, and Eurospec is kinda taking over.
Does anybody know which flywheels come in the Valeo or Sachs kits?
Do they have timing marks as well? I would be more inclined to recommend those kits if they didn't have a Eurospec in them then.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
oldpoopie said:
Eurospec is notoriusly poor in quality control. I've run into one flywheel like this before. It was loaded into the machine that drills the bolt pattern UPSIDE DOWN. Flip the flywheel so the friction surface faces the block and I bet all the bolt holes line up. Of course the flywheel wont work like this. Return it and get a good one. Who was the supplier? I've tried to tell the usuall suspects that I deal with to double and triple check inventory to prevent this.
Eurospec is a brand, not OEM VW european. Its brilliant marketing that I think makes people think that they are buying a european spec VW part..... Probably made in China.
I think the eurospec SMF are actually made in belgium ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Valeo makes their own flywheels, and will not sell them independent of their kits. We test assemble every clutch we sell with a Eurospec flywheel and mark TDC for the customer, as Eurospec's markings are sometimes difficut to read or wipe off easily.

There aren't a lot of options out there for stock weight flywheels. I've got one customer who's trying one of SBC's 17 lb. flywheels to see how it works: I'm hoping it's a good alternative to the 21 lb. Eurospec.

LA@JSPerformance.ca

Vendor , w/Business number
Benjamin said:
I am wondering if the oem's are drying up, and Eurospec is kinda taking over.
We carry the VW OEM flywheel in two weights 22lbs and 11lbs

About a month ago we got a call from a member here on the TDI club that his flywheel would not line up with the crank. The member lives in NY and got his complete kit including flywheel from Eurospec

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
LA@JSPerformance.ca said:
We carry the VW OEM flywheel in two weights 22lbs and 11lbs

About a month ago we got a call from a member here on the TDI club that his flywheel would not line up with the crank. The member lives in NY and got his complete kit including flywheel from Eurospec
I'm starting to think I should have gotten my new flywheel from you guys since it still isn't here yet... How the hell do you drill out holes on a flywheel wrong anyway. I'm no longer buying anything related to Eurospec. Maybe they should look up what QC means on the internet or something.

abtmuda

Veteran Member
TDI
Many others but one ALH TDI - In love
Reminds you of anyone in particular?

oldpoopie said:

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
Devo's flywheel is the one that started this thread. Also should mention that the rear main seals in my last two clutch jobs have both needed to have the bottom two bolts tapped as the first 3 threads were cooked. Funny I had the tranny out in a little over an hour, would have had the job done last friday, but devo won't get back his car till late tonight. :(

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
oldpoopie said:
I keep an automatic center punch in my box to "emphasize" the tdc marks on all flywheels.
As was done with my 14lb Eurospec FW...thankfully had no issue with its install a couple years ago.(TDC mark has come in handy several times already ;))

Now the clutch it was put in with...different story. Now with the Sachs VR6 and am quite pleased...held 320 wheel TQ at a recent dyno day.

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I have an update on this thread with the whole job to talk about.
First, the rear main that we got just sitting for a few days started leaking so with nothing open and needing to get this done I put the old one back on and hoped for the best.
Second, the thrust bearing was not correct as it would not fit. It was a little to fat to fit in the holder, so I had to grind down the sides to make her fit. I have pictures, but I need sleep to tonight so they will have to wait.
Um, the new flywheel worked great, still had to mark TDC, but oh well.
You know you have done this job a little to much when it only takes you between 3-3.5 hours to do start to finish.... :(
Oh I forgot to mention that I had to pull everything back out as the re used rear main seal leaked a little too much. A new seal, and doing the whole job again and the car runs great!

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
So does anyone know for sure where these euroSPEC flywheels are made?

some said china? i also heard belgium?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
DRTuning (used to be one of the best vag tuners in europe in the 80ies) established by Lionel Dhondt, told me that when I went there after a 240mm SMF there he told me made hunderds of them for the US..

It's a steel flywheel, not aluminum crap..

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
yes the G60 billet (steel) flywheels made by eurospec. they are made in the USA? you said?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I was talking about 240mm ones.. 1.8T quattro.. but I don't know they're for eurospec, if anyone buys a billet 240mm unit I'll take pictures of mine to compare, lol:d

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
eurospec is company name....and they have there name on flywheels and other crapola, what country makes the flywheels for the company eurospec. Then EUROSPEC, (a sounds Deceiving) packages them and sells them.

what country fabricates the flywheels

Last edited:

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Rub87 said:
I was talking about 240mm ones.. 1.8T quattro.. but I don't know they're for eurospec, if anyone buys a billet 240mm unit I'll take pictures of mine to compare, lol:d
Hey Rub,
I'm very happy with my 240mm eurospec clutch - fw is 16lb, steel, not lightened by request. It's very quiet at idle with the 6spd 4 motion tranny. I'm running 225hp with PD ARL motor.

here are some pics, notice the "triple" thick HD springs on the pressure plate. I was very pleased with the fit of the shouldered bolts - very snug!

Jeff

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Nice stuff ;)

If my lightned stuff with the spec doesn't work out I know what to order :D

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Rub87 said:
Nice stuff ;)

If my lightned stuff with the spec doesn't work out I know what to order :D
I bet it will sound like a monkey with a hammer beating the inside if the gearbox:p. I think that is how Krout put it once when he had the lightened 240mm in his 6 speed.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
TdiRacing said:
I bet it will sound like a monkey with a hammer beating the inside if the gearbox:p. I think that is how Krout put it once when he had the lightened 240mm in his 6 speed.
It was actually a midget with a jackhammer ;)