European name for Jetta IV TDI sedan(03)

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 04 Passat Wagon
What is the same model in the European naming for a 2003 Jetta TDI sedan and not the wagon. when I look for parts on Ebay international, I see so many different names for VW models and none are familiar.

Trog thou Meatier

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora/Jetta
My father, upon learning we'd bought a Bora, said with a yawn, "hmmm, that doesn't sound very interesting". "On the contrary," I said, "haven't you heard of the film Bora! Bora!?" That rather went over his head, I'm afraid.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
It was Jetta (Mk1 and 2), Vento (Mk3) and Bora (Mk4). If someone's refering to it as a Bora IV... they're wrong.

All were all poor sellers in Europe... so I've never understood American's infactuation with pasting any of the alternate 'Euro-rebirth' names on their cars...

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SE & 06' TDI Jetta
The A5 Jetta is called BORA in Mexico, they still have the A4 Jettas which are called Jetta, so the have what they believe to be two different cars a Jetta and a Bora, in '07 Diesels (TDIs) were introduced to the Mexican market for 1st time ever offering both the Jetta TDI(A4) and the Bora TDI(A5) confusing???

copatdir6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Variant TDI said:
It was Jetta (Mk1 and 2), Vento (Mk3) and Bora (Mk4). If someone's refering to it as a Bora IV... they're wrong.

All were all poor sellers in Europe... so I've never understood American's infactuation with pasting any of the alternate 'Euro-rebirth' names on their cars...
Well that sux if that's the case...'cause my license plate is "BORA IV". Don't make fun of my at TDI-Fest! :D

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Variant TDI said:

Which TDI's were better sellers in Europe ?

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
diezlpwr said:
probably the polo or the golf. i believe its the golf
Is it a hatchback vs. sedan thing ? (i.e., hatchbacks having more appeal in Europe than here)

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
The Golf has been the biggest seller worldwide for a number of years, or so it has been my understanding. Also popular in Europe is the Golf Estate. I think that is a slightly longer wagon version - they don't have a Bora Wagon.

diezlpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf tdi
HopefulFred said:
The Golf has been the biggest seller worldwide for a number of years, or so it has been my understanding. Also popular in Europe is the Golf Estate. I think that is a slightly longer wagon version - they don't have a Bora Wagon.
the golf wagon is a actually the jetta wagon that we get here in the US, but with a golf front end. the reasoning for that is because the golf name is more poplular than bora in europe.

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, 2008 E320 Bluetec
HopefulFred said:
MKIV Bora Variants (wagons) were indeed available in Europe, along with Golf Estates.

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
There's a slight difference in the taillights - On the Bora they are all red, but the turn signal lights up amber, while on the Golf the turn signal lens is amber.

The Bora would typically be better optioned, also.

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep looking - they're out there. I suppose it's possible they were never sold in Ireland. Here's a press release from VW back in 2003 talks about the specs for the German market.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Yeah... They are out there. Compared to the Golf Variant you get worse headlights, yukky red blinkers, nifty lite-up HVAC vents and (I think) the awesome trunk organizer.

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
I think the Golf Variant outsold the Bora Variant to a significant degree in Ireland at least. I always thought it was rather pointless that they sold 2 versions of the same car, but I guess the marketing department thought differently.

They've gone back to Jetta now for the Mk5 version and it seems to be doing well here, though to be fair the Bora and Vento before it did well in Ireland anyway.

My preference would always be for estate or hatch over saloon though.