European Glove Box

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
"*Would be nice if other 2002 owners can tell us when their Jetta/Golf was built and if it has the small or large glovebox. We need to hear from those who own ones made between Sept. 2001 and March 2002 as we already know what they have for glove box size before and after that time frame. This way we can narrow down the changeover timeframe."

my '02 golf has the big euro glovebox, build date was november 2001, vin ....036141. so "build date" range is now 9/01 to 11/01.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Parts listing shows the cutover as 11/01.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
So how would someone change out the lock cylinder when swapping the glovebox. I know SVTweb said there is a way but never gave any details?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by KOMET155:
<strong>pry out the old handle from the pivot points so you can flip it over and pull the tabs away from the cylinder (while pushing it outwards).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">NOPE!!! I just looked it up in ELSA (for those who don't know that's the European Shop manual) and it shows how useing a set of channel lock pliers. If I could get my Adobe Distiller to work I'd print you a copy.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
David, I did this when I replaced my door. The lock is held in place with plastic tabs. I put the key in the lock, pryed at the tabs, and the lock poped out. I stuck it in the new door, and that was that.

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I just did this, here are some pointers:

After removing the center console and the original glove box (see HERE) you have to remove the extra crash bar and its support:

It's two T30 screws. To get at the top one, you have to remove the airbag. On the Jetta, you can just lift the airbag door open:

(yes, that's the contents of my glove box exploded onto the dash. I should clean some of that junk out...)

Remove the airbag. 4 T30 screws. The eletrical connector is on the bottom. Take care when handleing and disconnecting the airbag.

With the bar removed take out it's support. 3 8mm bolts hold it in place. Access on the left one is tight, have to use a wrench.

Here is the difference between the US box and the late US / euro box:

US box (note the crash bars on each side):

Euro box:

Much bigger!

Rather then reuse the light wireing from the US box, I connected mine to the power going to the 12v outlet in the dash. That way, the light in the box always works, not just when the key is on.

-Jason

tamorgen

Veteran Member
Lock removal

Does anybody know how to remove the lock cylinder? A buddy of mine is trying to sell his sister's 99.5 Jetta, but it has a broken glove box. I want to get the european//2003 glove box+ for my 2001, and I was going to give him my old one, which isn't busted. Problem is, we both need to transfer the locks. Anyone know how?

tamorgen

Veteran Member
Hi all,
Got my glove box in today, and I'm in the middle of doing it. I'm going to need to grab a few tools I don't have to do it, but that's besides the point. My quesiton now is in the light connection. Does anybody know what the proper way to connect up the new light is from the old style? Part Numbers?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
redlinedave said:
looks like a Canadian glove boxto me

Looks like a Golf glovebox to me,the one in my Jetta was broke so my buddy had a spare from his Golf,I thought it wouldn't fit so didin't put it in.:confused:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
compu_85 said:
They changed to the euro glove box in 2002.

-Jason
even in the Jetta,I can barely get my owner manual in there?