Euro tunning 6th gear add on kit

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
When you drive a 32yo white wagon enforcement tends to ignore you.

Steve
triple digit speeds attracts attention no matter what you drive, was lucky to get the last one reduced.... was doing 130+ when I came up on a statie cruising in the passing lane, my old eyes are still trained to look for crown victorias

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
triple digit speeds attracts attention no matter what you drive, was lucky to get the last one reduced.... was doing 130+ when I came up on a statie cruising in the passing lane, my old eyes are still trained to look for crown victorias
I don't get close to triple digits, the risk is too great anymore and the penalties are so much more than they used to be.

I'm a 10-20 over driver on interstates....5 over on state / county 2 lane highways.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
"for whatever reason" is doing a lot of work in that sentence. ;)

For what it's worth, I've recently ordered from Poland without issue. Arrived in roughly 10 days to West Coast of Canada.
I've had boxes of items shipped to France that have completely disappeared...it's no fun.

I'm just reminding people that the conditions in Eastern Europe are less than desirable right now. And "for whatever reason" was basically a nice way of saying that if there is something that can go wrong it probably will. And at the price for these it would be really unfortunate if they all went missing.

Steve

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
I almost jumped on the bandwagon in the last group buy for these and wished I had. I'm ready now. Shipping is my only concern...it may be better to air freight them despite the cost to prevent them from sitting on a freighter for weeks/months waiting to dock and unload.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I almost jumped on the bandwagon in the last group buy for these and wished I had. I'm ready now. Shipping is my only concern...it may be better to air freight them despite the cost to prevent them from sitting on a freighter for weeks/months waiting to dock and unload.
i don't believe an old diesel GOLF can go that fast :p :D
GTI mafacka!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
i don't believe an old diesel GOLF can go that fast :p :D
Actually if you use an online speed calculator the theoretical top speed is somewhere around 180mph IIRC (4750 rpm max?) If I'm wrong and you're bound by a 4500rpm top end then it's about 175mph.

That is if you have tires that will support that...and a nice long straight stretch of empty road....:D

EDIT: with 02A CTN and the .588 6th gear that is....

EDIT2: I might be convinced to participate again too, need to know the figures

Steve

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I Heard back from the company....

They said if we buy 3 we can get kits for $1450 (instead of the normal price of $1550) ....

Appears normal shipping is about $170 each BUT if we get 3 that can be about $300 total for shipping to the USA

I guess if they ship all to 1 location it would have to be reshipped to individual buyers.

I did ask them if they could redrill for the larger bearing (an additional $28 piece just for the bearing) ..... it appears they cannot or will not drill out so if you want to used the larger bearing that has to be still done locally....

Anyways , that's what I got ....

Anybody maybe know a person that can receive them all , get them drilled out and send out to group buyers ? THAT would be nice and convenient.

Maybe if more people come in we can get bigger discounts ?

I am in for sure but don't have access to a machine shop easily ....

Any volunteers ?

Andrew

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Andrew- Thanks for making the effort and starting the coordination. My first thoughts went to where/who can do the installation, preferably someone associated with Fred's that has done them before (and would be willing to receive one -or more- and install). That's where I would likely have mine delivered, if all worked out correctly.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
as i said before, what needs to be drilled is in the transmission CASE, where the bearing is installed. you have to bring that half of the transmission case to a local machine shop to bore it out and install the larger bearing.

ideally you'd really install an LSD while you're going through all this effort, and of course if your car needs a clutch now would be the time to do it...

i'd consider doing installs. - assuming it's not in the middle of winter since all i have is a gravel driveway, but it works for me and i'm used to it. i have a trusted local machine shop i use for heads and other things. he's did the bearing in my transmission. GTiTDi just over the bridge from me runs a top-notch shop and he has done them. he is one of the most competent and careful mechanics i've met...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If the install includes that much work I wonder if I'd prefer to find a 3.14 final drive for the 02J and run that with a .7 5th. That would give me just over 2K RPM at 75, which would be fine. It would also mean that you could use 4th up to 50-55MPH at 2K or a little higher.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
as i said before, what needs to be drilled is in the transmission CASE, where the bearing is installed. you have to bring that half of the transmission case to a local machine shop to bore it out and install the larger bearing.

ideally you'd really install an LSD while you're going through all this effort, and of course if your car needs a clutch now would be the time to do it...

i'd consider doing installs. - assuming it's not in the middle of winter since all i have is a gravel driveway, but it works for me and i'm used to it. i have a trusted local machine shop i use for heads and other things. he's did the bearing in my transmission. GTiTDi just over the bridge from me runs a top-notch shop and he has done them. he is one of the most competent and careful mechanics i've met...

HI,

OK , the case not the add on part .... I guess I had it backwards in my head .... Thanks

How much would it be to install something like that ? ....

Yeah a LSD would be sweet too .... (I do have a 4x4 for snow but since we're in there anyways how much more for the LSD install VS just adding the 6th gear and the machine work?).

I had a clutch put in not too long ago so that should be OK but I have been driving a fair amount of city lately ....

Thanks

Andrew

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
If the install includes that much work I wonder if I'd prefer to find a 3.14 final drive for the 02J and run that with a .7 5th. That would give me just over 2K RPM at 75, which would be fine. It would also mean that you could use 4th up to 50-55MPH at 2K or a little higher.
Do you mean a 3.157 final drive from a CTN or something else?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What ratios are available?
I have Windex’s old wagon and absolutely love the 6th gear, but it’s useless below 65 mph. When we lived in Maine I infrequently was able to use it, but since moving to the desert southwest I use it all the time with the higher speeds. I;ve driven it across the country and loaded down the car returned about 42 mpg, which isn’t bad since we were moving right along. I do like that the engine doesn’t wind up anymore and it able to cruise well at speed. But everyone is right about the fuel economy, it has not moved a lot but the engine is a lot happier running around. Adding the 6th gear is the way the car should have been from the factory.

This was my old B4 in 5th gear on the highway.

And this is with it in 6th, at a lower rpm.

Abacus, what 6th gear is that?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That looks like the sweet spot. That would make the gearing very close to what my '15 GSW 6-speed is. 2K RPM at 75 is nice. BTW, that's an interesting mix of Metric and US gauges.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The install is really simple, I did it in a couple hours on a fully removed trans, but if you want to do it in the car but the trans tail housing needs to be tilted down on a B3/4 to clear the metal skirting from the frame horn.

I delayed my powertrain install on the B3V project because I knew it would be easier outside the car...and there were other things I could do on the project while I was waiting.

And because everyone like pics...:)

Steve

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
did you split the trans? if not, how the heck did you get the circlips on/off to put the new selector in without taking the trans apart? i took mine apart, because i was doing LSD, holes for oiling, and larger bearing, but i couldn't see how in the world i'd be able to do the circlips without taking the case apart....

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
did you split the trans? if not, how the heck did you get the circlips on/off to put the new selector in without taking the trans apart? i took mine apart, because i was doing LSD, holes for oiling, and larger bearing, but i couldn't see how in the world i'd be able to do the circlips without taking the case apart....
You cut the old one the way the instructions from Eurotuning say to do it. Wrap a towel around the trans only exposing the selector and then I used a dremel with a thick cutoff wheel to do the deed.

EDIT: looks like their online docs don't show that anymore...lol

EDIT2: apparently I did remove the circlips (that was a long time ago) because you have to no matter what, but if you look on page 3 of the "removing shift rail" guide here it shows how they cut it out and where they cut it.

Steve

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
do you still have those instructions you could upload or send? i'd love to know how to do it. although when i do my mk3, i plan on LSD and oil mod anyway. curious how you can finagle those circlips off and new ones on thrugh the shift tower hole. i just couldn't see how i could do it without insane surgical precision...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
maybe the design has changed since when you bought it - there is no dremelingcutting/drilling involved. you replace the whole selector fork (believe that's the term), so you need to remove the circlips on it to replace it with the new selector fork with a different one. i didn't spend too much time trying to figure out how, but couldn't see any way to easily do it without likely dropping one down in the trans

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
no, although you could probably use your stock 5th? they provide a 6th gear set (.59 i believe, maybe is the only one available now), and a new 5th gear which i believe you can choose .70 or .72 ... i thought the .7 to .59 was perfect. i definitely wouldn't want it any lower...

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I ask because I have a 02J with a Wavetrack and a CTN R&P and now I find the factory 5th a bit tall for 55-60MPH cruising but great at 70MPH. I would like to add a use a gasser 0.856 5th and add like .717 6th gear for highway cruising.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
This question came up back when these kits were bought in the last round...
Whether one could use the stock 5th gear. The answer was that the kit uses custom 5th and 6th gearsets that spline into each other - the stock 5th gear will not work with the eurotuning added 6th. You have to get the eurotuning 5th and 6th as a set.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
ahh, that makes sense, i should have noticed that...!

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
How many RPMs will the standard 6th gear (whatever ratio that is) drop from 5th gear (assuming a near stock 5th gear)?

Thanks