Euro PD130 Golf Wagon f/s in NY

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hey guys,

tydaddy posted up an eBay link in the cars f/s forum, but I thought I'd make a quick post here. I know it isn't the right forum, but for those that don't troll the cars f/s forum I thought it might catch your eye here! It is a crazy rare situation I'd think! Nothing to do with me although I wish I was in the market!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=851028

If someone here is looking at it keep us posted!

Cheers,
-Chris

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I don't understand how he licensed that in NY of all places. That car is NOT DOT legal, and does not meet emissions regulations. It has no OBD-II readiness. It's still a wonderful looking ride, especially here in the states!

eurojulien

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
02 Golf
just have to check if there is an epa/dot sticker in the door jamb accompanied by assorted RI paperwork.

my bet is it was brought in on a 1 year permit and they are trying to ditch it (illegal)

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I agree with all y'alls sentiments. How would you even verify that you could title it? What about if you wanted to take it to another state? I have to admit, I've contemplated running this by my wife.

If you add up what I paid for my car, then the $5K+ it would cost for the PD130/150/6speed swap I wanna do, it's not far off what they are asking for this car. That kinda makes it ALMOST a good deal...

Any way... it doesn't matter 'cuz it ain't gonna happen ;) !!

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
blizzard60 said:
I agree with all y'alls sentiments. How would you even verify that you could title it? What about if you wanted to take it to another state? I have to admit, I've contemplated running this by my wife.

If you add up what I paid for my car, then the $5K+ it would cost for the PD130/150/6speed swap I wanna do, it's not far off what they are asking for this car. That kinda makes it ALMOST a good deal...

Any way... it doesn't matter 'cuz it ain't gonna happen ;) !!
If it is newer than 15 model years, you can NOT under any circumstances bring it into Canada. There has not been any compliance protocols for cars not offered for sale here new for many years, and even a lot of models that ARE/WERE sold here may not neccessarily be elegible for modification to import to Canada (for instance, almost ALL M-B US models from the '90s).

However, I would bet a big buck that one could easily register it in WY. I have seen almost anything mobile there get a set of plates!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Pat Dolan said:
If it is newer than 15 model years, you can NOT under any circumstances bring it into Canada. There has not been any compliance protocols for cars not offered for sale here new for many years, and even a lot of models that ARE/WERE sold here may not neccessarily be elegible for modification to import to Canada (for instance, almost ALL M-B US models from the '90s).

However, I would bet a big buck that one could easily register it in WY. I have seen almost anything mobile there get a set of plates!
This isn't necessarily true. Canada relaxed almost ALL import requirements this year to make it easier to bring cars into Canada. If you look at the list of "importable" vehicles on RIV, a whole bunch of cars that were INADMISSIBLE before are not fine to bring in (ie, the r32 is a perfect example). In fact, there isn't a single car in the "inadmissible" column!

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeVehicles/Importation/Usa/VAFUS/list/VOLKSWAGEN.htm

I have no idea about the MB specifics, but for volkswagen it was always a BUMPER issue. Basically Canada changed their bumper legislation so that it parallels the US regulations and all of a sudden all these cars could be imported...

Having said all that, this is ONLY for vehicles that were made to be ORIGINALLY sold in the US. I have no idea how it would work for a car that was made for sale in EUROPE. I don't feel like being a guinea pig ;) !!!!!

Cheers,
-Chris

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
As far as I know, European cars have a bunch of different equipement, including but not limited to headlights, bumpers, suspension, glass, and safety equipment (Bags / belts). Not to mention engines and emissions equipment.

All of this would have to technically be made up to DOT code before you can get a valid registration. At that point, why bother?