Euro Motorsports Gone??

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
Is anyone familiar with the place at 5553 Dundas Street West, Toronto that used to have all kinds of used TDI's for sale??
They advertised on their own website, had a kijiji page, as well as autotrader.ca listings. Now no matter where I search, they're gone! The website is saying "the contract for this website is expired." And the kijiji and autotrader ads are gone too.
The owner is a club member and posted in the Ontario thread before.. but last activity was June 2014.
If you google map street view the location of the dealership, all the lettering is still up, but the lot is empty aside from an old Accord. I think they have closed up shop. But no trace of them can be found. a Google search still shoes that they are open today and shows the hours but I feel that's outdated info.
Even if you google the name "Euro Motorsports", one of the suggested searches is "Euro Motorsports closed" That leads me to think they are closed.
Anybody in the area know of what happened? Or drive by to see if there is a notice on the door or something? I never went there or knew them, but definitely liked to ponder their listings every week... looked like some decent cars flew through that place. I think the guys name was Gus and his brother was Pete or something.
Anybody know what happened?
-Mike (genuinely curious)

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Was that the shop that would buy TDI's cheap (wagons specifically) and re-sell them at them at ridiculous prices?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a pump and dump

If it's the same place I was thinking of, they were around for a few years IIRC.

That wagon of yours, they would have bought it, gave it a wash and sold it for 3500 more lol

iam_immigrant

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon DSG
I drive by there periodically but I seem to remember it disappeared just before dieselgate happened. Don't know if they had an inside track and knew it was coming or not.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
If anything, dieselgate will only increase the value of used TDI's. If VW can't sell new ones, the only option is to buy used, so demand will go through the roof for good used diesels.

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
I have doubts that dieselgate affected this business... I definitely agree that the place kind of seemed a little high on prices. Most of the cars seemed decent in pictures though, and they all guaranteed that the timing belts were done. (not saying it was guaranteed to be done correctly)

I have a feeling something shady may have happened as its strange for them to vanish without a trace like that.. it seems a bit odd.

Was kinda hoping the guy would somehow log into his club account and comment on the thread but I highly doubt it. Was simply curious if anybody knew any details.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a feeling something shady may have happened as its strange for them to vanish without a trace like that.. it seems a bit odd.
Was kinda hoping the guy would somehow log into his club account and comment on the thread but I highly doubt it. Was simply curious if anybody knew any details.

I've seen a similar thing happen many times in London with certain small car dealers.

One will be around for a year or two, close up. Lot will sit there and another one will come in with a similar sounding business name and/or logo.

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Doesn't surprise me that they're gone. When I was looking for a car, I went there and checked out an 03 Jetta Wagon. They said they had just replaced the timing belt, so I popped the cover and pointed out the obviously not-new belt with an improperly installed tensioner. They also said they replaced the clutch, which I was able to slip. The car felt stock. I noticed oil leaking from the valve cover that had been recently wiped clean. I ran out of there and never went back. Those guys were scum.

DarthTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI
Personally, I've dealt with these guys and bought my current TDI with them. Very easy to deal with and they did a couple shady things but nothing I was worried about with my mechanic background.

The shadiest being they painted the calipers to look like they were new, but they never told me they replaced them, just new pads and rotors all around which I could see was done when I picked up the car. Went to do a filter change to find they only did an oil change, and nothing else. No biggie, to be expected when someone replaces only what is needed, and not over and above. I checked what they said they replaced, and they did exactly what they said, had a brand new timing belt on it when I checked. A week later I came back to get the dents pulled on my car, and they did so just fine. Some were unable to be pulled due to location but that was understandable as they were on the door frame and in weird unaccessible places.

One thing I noticed with the cars on the lot is they didn't fix them until they were sold. Test drove a car with pretty rusted brakes, that was fun haha.

Overall, Probably the most honest used car dealer I've dealt with to be honest. I've put over 20,000 kms on my car with little more than filters and oil changes, as well as a sticky e brake caliper on the passenger side. I've had some issues with the vnt vanes sticking as well but I expected it on a low mileage (bought it with 172,000 kms) TDI with what seemed entirely city use in Ottawa according to the carmax report. Oh, and I had a front control arm bushing failure at 10,000 but of course it was on the side they didn't replace. A couple TT bushings later and I was good to go.

Am I lucky? Possibly, but they were probably one of the best used car dealers I dealt with in Toronto when I spent 3 months looking for a newer car to purchase.

Personally, I'm curious where they went. Just up and left, without a word of warning to boot. Who knows what happened, they still owe me a wax and polish on my car haha. Already did it myself so meh.

In hindsight I could have bought private and saved some dough, but with all the work that was done, and knowing I had a good to go car when I drove off was worth it. Especially with the low mileage you just don't see on an ALH that often anymore.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
^^^^ That's funny. First it was just an oil change in 20K kms and then later you post a laundry list of things that went during the first 20K. :)

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Tornado Red Jetta Wagon GLS (sold); 2014 GSW Wolfsburg Edition CPO TDI
My ex-wife bought a car from them and had it serviced there. Seemed to have a good experience with them. She told me they decided to go sell Jeeps somewhere.

DarthTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI
^^^^ That's funny. First it was just an oil change in 20K kms and then later you post a laundry list of things that went during the first 20K. :)
Laundry List?

-4 Oil changes and 20K service
-Lower Control Arm Bushing
-Right Rear Caliper
-Farting around with VNT vanes (Oven Cleaner Mod)

I'd say I'm doing pretty good for an old ALH mk4 and the first 20k?

I've had a bigger list when all I have to do on a saturday is drink beer and watch netflix.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
4 oil changes in 20K?
If you buy a car that is well taken care of and properly services for resale (I'm not talking about a basic safety inspection) then you as the new owner shouldn't need to do anything other than change the oil in the first 20K km of use. Those bushings were ready for replacement when they sold the car to you.

DarthTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI
4 oil changes in 20K?
If you buy a car that is well taken care of and properly services for resale (I'm not talking about a basic safety inspection) then you as the new owner shouldn't need to do anything other than change the oil in the first 20K km of use. Those bushings were ready for replacement when they sold the car to you.
Those piece of crap stock ones? They would of held up if I didn't launch the thing and take it down the twisty roads a ton.

So were they ready for replacement? Only the original one that they didn't touch because it was old. But it would of held up if I was your Grandma. I change the oil at 5k because I run lots of city miles and want to keep the sludge out of it.

For a 13 year old car, and a Volkswagen at that I'm impressed with the beating this thing takes. I drive my vehicles hard, and I take care of them well. Want a car that doesn't need work done buy a new car and don't complain. I've done years of used car use and abuse(15
cars since I was 17, all worked on by myself), and I was a mechanic. Your entitled to your opinion yeah, but the only thing I've worked on or seen that needs no work within 20k is a brand new car, maybe something with 40k on it if you're lucky.

Want to be an expert about my car? Fine, but I imagine you're ok with me calling you out on your opinion.

Last edited: