Euro convex side mirrors... Heinz57

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
I bought a pair of A4 Jetta side mirrors from a member called Heinz57 a couple years ago.... they are great. Knocked off the left one this morning on a 8-900 lb. moose.
The body shop has the car, but I NEEEEEED that mirror again. Anyone heard from this person lately? Or where I could get one? P/N 1J1-857-521C TIA

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
those mirrors got crazy expensive. You might try Potterman or checked Bleached Bora's signature for his go-to list.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
Send paypal to sales@dubstop.com for 66 dollars. You'll get blue tint, heated side mirrors, driver side convex. Got some last week. There's a standing GB on the 'tex.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
What Arby said - ditto. Got mine two weeks ago, and Rus at dubstop is a great guy, and the prices couldn't be beat. Wouldn't hesitate to order from him again.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Now, with Russ you'll only get a convex driver's mirror. ETKA shows a part number for a passenger convex mirror, but I've not seen it for sale anywhere.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
I picked up a set from Impex last fall which had bother driver and passenger side convex mirrors.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
My understanding is that all "passenger side" mirrors are convex (hence "Objects in mirror may appear smaller..."). But, they are not necessarily aspherical (dual-zone). A dual-zone right side mirror is possibly available (from a RHD VW, I would guess), although I personally wouldn't care for that option on the passenger side in North America. The field of view on my new euro-spec blue-tint passenger side mirror is the same as the NA-spec mirror it replaced, and that's what I expected. The drivers side is much wider.

Pic from the 'tex:

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
I have the assymetrical mirrors on both sides and have to say that it is nice to have on the passenger side. Its just one of those small things you dont think of as being important until you get them. Then its something you just dont want to live without. So if your going to go through the effort of getting the mirrors I would spent the little extra money and get it for both sides.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
My understanding is that all "passenger side" mirrors are convex (hence "Objects in mirror may appear smaller..."). But, they are not necessarily aspherical (dual-zone). A dual-zone right side mirror is possibly available (from a RHD VW, I would guess), although I personally wouldn't care for that option on the passenger side in North America. The field of view on my new euro-spec blue-tint passenger side mirror is the same as the NA-spec mirror it replaced, and that's what I expected. The drivers side is much wider.

Pic from the 'tex:
Is this aspherical (dual-zone) mirror the one dubstop is selling?

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Send paypal to sales@dubstop.com for 66 dollars. You'll get blue tint, heated side mirrors, driver side convex. Got some last week. There's a standing GB on the 'tex.
What and where is the 'tex for the group buy?
'tex is vwvortex.com - a great place to hang out if you're 16 and hoping your parents will buy a veedub for your junior prom.
no, really, its a great site with good people (for the most part) and some killer group buys. just email russ at sales@dubstop.com. as for the other question, the mirrors from russ include a dual-zone (asphyrical) driver mirror and a convex (non-asphyrical or dual-zone) passenger mirror. the mirrors are blue tinted and heated.

also, i found a passing note that there's a dealer in illinois that sells the vw aero wipers (both sides with blades) for 76 bones plus shipping. i'm going to chase that one down...i'll let y'all know asap.

arby

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
Do these work with the heated side mirror option? I would like to get them, but I wouldn't want to lose that feature.

Thanks

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Do these work with the heated side mirror option? I would like to get them, but I wouldn't want to lose that feature.

Thanks
Come on...read the damn post.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
As the pictures show, the split mirrors tend to show objects further than they are. I set mine so that once the cars begin to show over the separating line, they are about 10 feet from my bumber. That way, I can judge easily if I can change lanes safely.

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
I've had them for some time (in their boxes). I think it's about time I try and install them, since I'm going on a 450 mile trip in a full Golf. Any tips on the install? The Bentley manual suggests popping off the whole assembly.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Technically, you do not need to remove the whole assembly. You *can* just pop the mirrors off. Since you're in SoCal, you can probably get away with that, with the warm weather keeping things flexible. The back of the mirror has a fixed round plastic ring (about 4" in diameter) with 4 clips that attach it to another ring in the mirror housing.

Angle the mirror so that you can get at least two fingers behind the bottom or top middle edge of the glass, and then pop it out. Be careful to apply even pressure, and remember that the wires for the heater are still attached to the glass. The wires will unplug easily once the glass is disengaged. Installation is reverse - don't forget to connect the heater wires! I had to pinch the terminals on the wires a bit for them to have a firm bite on the contacts of the new glass.

Doing mine, I decided to remove the body coloured cover to have easier access and minimize the risk of breaking delicate plastic bits. More difficult to explain than it is to do... Still only a 10 min job.

I have some pics; I'll post them tonight or tomorrow.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Like fitzski said, angle the mirror up all the way, wrap a flat screwdriver with a shop rag and pry the mirror glass away from the bottom. it will pop right off.

TeleDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2004, Reflex Silver
Has anyone had success with installing these split-mirrors on the Brazillian made Golf mirror housings? I've heard that this can be a problem in that the glass is too big for some versions of the housing.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Works fine in mine, the glass looks a little small if you ask me.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are some pictures that may help with removal and installation. Pictures are of driver and passenger side - procedures are the same.

You can remove the glass without taking off the mirror housing cover. Angle the mirror such that you can squeeze two fingers behind bottom or top centre of the glass, and apply even pressure to pop the mirror off. Make note of the heater wires in the bottom left of the photo.

Given some delicate plastic bits, I opted to remove the mirror housing cover. Remove two Torx screws on the bottom, and a plastic plug which reveals a hole that lets you manipulate a metal spring clip that holds the cover on. Push the tab on the spring clip towards the back of the car while pulling up on the cover. The cover must pull straight up to clear two mounting posts (visible in the above photo); then you can manipulate it a bit more freely to remove it completely. Harder to describe than it is to do.

A detailed shot of how the mirror lens attaches to the motor ring. There are four such alignment points, with two plastic clips each.

HTH,
fitzski.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks fitski, I just popped off the original mirrors today, trying to be careful and noticing on the new blue one that there are 4 clips which will hold it into place I spent 15 minutes trying to get the drivers side off. I then decided to use the rubber covered handle on my side cutters and pry with it, it just popped off nice and easy.
Putting the new one on was about 35 seconds and then the passengers side was completed in 2 minutes.
Got my 2 mirrors on eBay for US$ 42.00 delivered. They do have the heater elements too and the drivers side has the dual mirror as in fitskis picture.

This is the seller I got mine from, link ends in2 days but just look for sellers other items for more mirrors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Wide-a...013227396QQrdZ1

TCBaker

TDI
03 Jetta Reflex Silver
Jetta_Pilot;

How do you like the ones that you got from E-Bay? Are the good quality, or cheap knock offs. I see that they are shipped from Hong Kong, but that alone does not make them bad.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
TCBaker said:
Jetta_Pilot;

How do you like the ones that you got from E-Bay? Are the good quality, or cheap knock offs. I see that they are shipped from Hong Kong, but that alone does not make them bad.
Well I have been using them for a few days now and I notice no problems. The only thing I had to get used to is the small section on the drivers side which has a split mirror section.
What can they do wrong with a piece of mrror glass. In fact whether it is a knock off I do not know, but the little boxes they came in had the VW logos just like an official one.

Has not been cold enough yet to try the heated feature.

carcap

Who the hell needs Bentley with you guys around.

Great post. My passenger mirror is dead and now I know how to fix it !

Thanks.