Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I'm very interested in these mirrors.

Does anyone know if these will fit a 2006 (A5) Jetta?

TIA

Tony

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
ARBY said:
Come on...read the damn post.
Arby,

Sorry to have disturbed you. I should have read the thread more carefully instead of skimming over it. Again, please accept my sincerest apology for making your life more difficult.

Rob

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
TCBaker said:
Jetta_Pilot;

How do you like the ones that you got from E-Bay? Are the good quality, or cheap knock offs. I see that they are shipped from Hong Kong, but that alone does not make them bad.
looks like the mirrors jetta_pilot linked are made by or for FAW-VW which is a joint venture between chinese first automobile group and vw located somewhere in china. link:

http://www.faw.com/international/volkswagen.jsp

so the mirrors should meet vw standards.

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
why have mirrors that lie to you? I mean when you make split second decisions, you want a zoom mirror?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Dave,
Have you ever driven a vehicle with Spot mirrors? You suddenly have visibility into blid spots. They have saved me several times from an accident. That's why I want them on my jetta.

on edit: Are mirrors capable of lying?

Tony

Last edited:

sabianq

TDI
jetta 2004 blue
TonyJetta said:
Dave,
Have you ever driven a vehicle with Spot mirrors? You suddenly have visibility into blid spots. They have saved me several times from an accident. That's why I want them on my jetta.

on edit: Are mirrors capable of lying?

Tony
an aspherical mirror only lies if it dosent say, "objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

:eek:

aberson

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 4d Black/Tan
removing 2001 mirror housing

fitzski said:
Remove two Torx screws on the bottom, and a plastic plug which reveals a hole that lets you manipulate a metal spring clip that holds the cover on.
Posting for future reference, as I've been trying to figure this out for a while: On my 01 golf, there was no spring clip. I had to pop off the mirror and then remove 2 screws that were holding the body-color housing on, only accessible behind the mirror.

The black underside housing was still removed with 2 torx screws (T-10) and removing this first made it easier to remove the mirror, as I was able to push from behind. The bottom piece is attached to a flexible rubber/plastic piece that you can slide it apart from for full removal.

had to remove because both the lower and upper housing were damaged by something, and I'm rebuilding with some epoxy putty (JB brand, from autozone - http://jbweld.net/products/jbstik.php )

SR7D1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
OK, been searching the threads for a while on this. Might as well post here instead of starting a new thread.

I have an 00' Golf TDI with the CWP and broken heated, power mirrors.

Neither of my mirrors defrost. I am the 2nd owner and they have never worked for me. Car has 96K miles. The drivers side plastic is cracked and broken off, mirror is not cracked.

Would this be the easiest fix to get heat back for both mirrors?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8043757524&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Ebay lists them @ $48 each including shipping. Except for the paint match, seems like a good deal for a set of working heated mirrirs.

I called the parts dept at the stealership today and the quote for each of the 3-4 items in a the mirror was rather prohibitive. ($100's of dollars?)

Thoughts?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
If they're really heated, that's a great price.

On Impex it's $125 for the full driver's side assembly, $100 for the passenger side:
http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=228094
http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=228094
but those are NOT heated.

Here's the housing for the passenger side; the heated mirror would have to be purchased separately:
http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=137683

Heated mirror glass only:
http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=123928
http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=137756

Burnt-out mirrors are common. They are on if the switch is in the middle. If you don't want the heaters on, the switch has to be in the L or R positions. Impex also sells a 4-position switch so you have a dedicated 'off' position, too. It's made for european power folding mirrors:
http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=5929

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
sr7d1, perhaps you can buy somebody's stock heated mirrors that upgraded to the euro split zones.

Please note frugality's comment: mirror burn-out is common due to VW's odd switch arrangement. They're powered on at all times unless switch is set to L or R position.

sabianq

TDI
jetta 2004 blue
hi,
I just received the european aspherical drivers side and flat right side blue tinted mirror set. they came directly from a VW factory in asia.

I installed the driverside mirror and drove around the block.
I have to say, i really hate the mirror, it gives me a headache and make me go crosseyed.

so i changed back to the flat mirror.

regardless,

i have a set of brand new VW aspherical (driverside) and Flat blue jetta mirrors. if anyone wants to try them out, i will sell them.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
sabianq said:
hi,
I just received the european aspherical drivers side and flat right side blue tinted mirror set. they came directly from a VW factory in asia.

I installed the driverside mirror and drove around the block.
I have to say, i really hate the mirror, it gives me a headache and make me go crosseyed.
You are only supposed to glance at the mirror and not take a long lingering look! Yes, it takes some getting used due to the distortion factor to but in less than a week it was normal for me. In fact I can't stand driving someone else's car now as I really miss having these mirrors!

A friend of mine got these and hated them just like you but he left them on and was still grumbling about the view two months later. At this point in time they've been on his car for over a year so he's evidentally used to them now. Both his car and mine have aspherical mirrors on both sides and we enjoy having no blind spots which is the whole point of having them!

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
In all my years of driving, only two of my cars have had significant blind spot issues. One of them is my 2005.5 NewJetta. One day I hope to get these aspherical mirrors.

After doing my test drive before buying my car I sat in a 2005 Jetta wagon with the A4 engine. Blind spots were not that bad. I preferred to get the A5 engine and as we all know there isn't a 2005.5 or 2006 NewJetta wagon. But if VW offered a 2005.5 or 2006 NewJetta wagon then I would have chosen it over the sedan. Oh well, I'm still happy with my purchase!

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
Aspherical mirrors for '06 Jetta

TonyJetta said:
I'm very interested in these mirrors.
Does anyone know if these will fit a 2006 (A5) Jetta?
TIA
Tony (December '05)
No. the old ones definitely will not fit your new Jetta. Way different shapes.
Neither Impex nor that guy on e-bay seems to have A5 mirrors, yet.

TMTuning has aspherical pairs, anti-glare tinted, for US$95. plus s/h
p/n: G5-E-148 for '06 Golf/Jetta
PA-E-178 for '06 Passat

FischerMotorsports.de has the pair for EUR79,90 zzgl. shipping :confused:
{whatever that works out to!}

dubstop and oempl.us have split driver's side/convex passenger for slightly less $$.

Since I don't have a vent, and nobody makes '06 skid plates yet, I'm ordering a pair of these from TMT next.

I discovered the "blind spots" on my test drive - DH said "Look out for the silver car!" ... so, I waited for the silver Beemer coming around the corner of the building ~ and backed right into the silver Passat that was parked next to the building! :eek: !! Thank all the gods for styrofoam transport pads - on both cars!

Kharmin

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
I got mine when Heinz originally ran the GB.

In the future - I'll always try to find aspherical mirrors for all my cars.
Love 'em.
Thanks Heinz.
michael.

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
New Aspherical Mirrors - '06 Jetta A5

Got my mirrors from TMTuning.com last week, JasonTDI popped 'em on (Thanks Jason!) and I'm delighted with them.

Yes, they take some getting used to - the "distortion" is very similar to the warp in the bottom of the windshield - if you think about it, you'll get a headache - but it takes care of that 10foot blind spot on the driver's side very nicely. :D

So, I have a pair of standard US-spec heated mirrors, when somebody
needs new glass!

Happy Saturday, All!
Kharmin

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
This site rocks for great information for a new TDI owner. Thanks!
Too bad it doesn't teach new TDI owners how to look at the date of the last post in a thread so they avoid bumping up a 6+ year old thread to the top and potentially bumping other more recent/usefull threads onto the back pages. ;)

aberson

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 4d Black/Tan
Ed
I don't want to start a whole thing here, but I disagree. Perhaps some of the 48 posters prior to GeofH's comment will be glad to know they were able to contribute to helping a newbie out with some info, even if it is a 6 year old thread.
I know you put a winky face in there and maybe didn't mean anything nasty, but I don't want Geof to get turned off to TdiClub. From my experience, this site has always been super welcoming to people of all experience levels.
Adam

rtdunham

TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI stick
Here are some pictures that may help with removal and installation.
Thanks, fitzski. Your pix and instructions gave me the confidence to tackle it, and it went smoothly.

For others: I angled the mirror as far right as it would go, and got several fingers behind the exposed left (smaller) end, applied steady pressure and it popped free. I had to use needle nose pliers to tug the heater wires off. When reconnecting them to the new mirror, the connection was worryingly loose, so i used the needle nose pliers to squeeze the connectors tight to the posts sticking out of the back of the mirror. The mirror snapped on easily.
:)

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I bought this great mirror years ago.

And it's good to see newbies using the search function, and bringing back old threads with great information.