Euro cluster done, segment test question

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Yay! I finally finished my euro cluster install, complete with high pixel MFA display. It was remarkably easy (due to all the work by SVTWEB, tongsli, Michael Moore, et. al.), didn't have any problems coding it at all. Had a hiccup programming the keys to the Immobilizer, but that's only because I can't read. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Also, if you take the needles off, it's beotch and a half to get them back on *just* right. I mean, I probably spent close to an hour with the cluster tests to get the speedo and the tach to line up perfectly. I guess there's no easier way. Anyway, here's a picture of the cluster at night. I much prefer the diagrams as opposed to the words BRAKE and CRUISE. I also had no trouble with the radio talking to the cluster:

My question about the segment test is related to the clock display. The segment test looks like this:

Does anybody know what the little tower with the radio waves coming off it in the upper left of the clock display is for?

Here's another picture, me having fun with cluster tests and the slow shutter speed of a digital camera:

- hoffer

Sawdust

Oh that is so cool, can i ask how much it cost, and where did you get it from, i have been looking for one.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
[ QUOTE ]
Sawdust said:
can i ask how much it cost, and where did you get it from

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I kinda cheated. I paid US$500 for it. I bought it from Lito, who bought it from some guy in Germany that had bought it. It was still brand new, in plastic and everything. I do plan on going to Germany next summer. Maybe I can arrange to pick some things like that up then?

- hoffer

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
If it is like the BMW that is for the "Radio-Clock" option. I have seen no information on it with VW but the BMW has that as an option. From what I understand the time is broadcast on a certain frequency and the clock updates automatically.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
[ QUOTE ]
SVTWEB said:
If it is like the BMW that is for the "Radio-Clock" option.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I figured. It looks exactly like the symbols on some "atomic" clocks that I have. They set themselve off of WWVB, but that only broadcasts in NA, I believe. It would be a really nice feature. Of course, I don't know what frequencies they use in Europe. I wonder if the clock display is a part that is used elsewhere and has that segment, or if the necessary hardware is in the cluster. Maybe the hardware is not in the cluster but in a seperate module that speaks over the CAN bus or something. I guess all this is pointless if VW doesn't even offer it as a feature in Europe. If you find out anything let me know! I would be interested in persuing it.

- hoffer

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I kinda cheated. I paid US$500 for it. I bought it from Lito, who bought it from some guy in Germany that had bought it. It was still brand new, in plastic and everything. I do plan on going to Germany next summer. Maybe I can arrange to pick some things like that up then?

- hoffer

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I was only selling it for Kurt. Hmm...Germany huh Michael? Let's talk.

Looks great! What is your software coding for the cluster?

Lito

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
[ QUOTE ]

I was only selling it for Kurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah!

[ QUOTE ]

Germany huh Michael? Let's talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll let you know as soon as I do. My cousin is moving back there in March, and I plan to visit during the summer. Also, having a contact there would be useful...

[ QUOTE ]

What is your software coding for the cluster?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe I'm using 07102 right now. ECE regionalization and fixed service interval. I'm not sure if that service interval is working correctly or not. I'll check it again next week. I know, I've got to run the wires for the oil probe. I'll try to do that this weekend. I also need to get those side skirts. My engine bay is getting all messy!

- hoffer

Karmann-diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
I believe that symbol you are talking about is a palm tree. You must have an North African spec Eurocluter. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DanielRamirez

TDI
2009 A3 2.0T
Hoffer:

Congrats on your cluster, look very good indeed!

Have one question, do you have the part number for your cluster? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Could you please post a pict in daylight? /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
I think this cluster of mine, which I had my dealer install today, is the same part number as the cluster that Hoffer has. But, as you can see, mine has the speed display in kilometers, which is great if you are in Canada, if you live in the United States, you would probably want one that has the speed display in miles per hour.

Both units (km/h and mph) are electronically and mechanically identical, the only difference is the bezel on the speed dial. But this bezel cannot be changed in the field, or ordered as a part by itself, so you must use the correct part number to get either a km/h one or a mph one.

Regarding the question about the 'antenna' display in the clock field - that is for automatic updating of the clock by radio frequency time signal, however, the various transmitters in Europe that send out a time signal operate on a different standard than the time signals in North America, so it won't work here. It is very common, when you buy a desk clock or wall clock in Europe, for the clock to automatically update itself every hour from an atomic clock time signal that is broadcast across the continent.

Michael

Daytime view of the above cluster

Part number for above display with KILOMETERS PER HOUR speed

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael,

I thought your cluster was 1J5 920 846cx and not 946CX?? Hoffer's cluster is KM/Hr

Lito

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for catching my mistake, Lito - I uploaded the wrong picture. I have corrected the error and the correct part number for the high pixel cluster (the 846 part number) now appears in the photo two posts above.

Michael

VDubVerruckt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver
I'm going to Germany in 4 weeks. I'll be there for 2 weeks. You can bet I'll be looking into getting some parts for my car. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Michael,

Pulled out my part number with the vag, and it is indeed 1J5 920 846 CX. Km/h. Should throw anyone driving my car for a loop. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I just always hated having both MPH an km/h on my speedometers, so I just got km/h. And to be different I left my language in German as well. I figured it's a German car, right? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

- hoffer

Sawdust

quick questions, will an imobilzer 3 cluster work in a immobilizer 2 car?
also will a passat cluster work in a golf?

Thanks

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
[ QUOTE ]
Sawdust said:

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Answers:
1: Yes
2: No

Sawdust

[ QUOTE ]
SVTWEB said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sawdust said:

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Answers:
1: Yes
2: No

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, i did a little digging and found the cluster from a passat is a little bit wider, but glad the imb. 3 will work in imob. 2. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Hmm, from Lito in another thread regarding instrument cluster pinouts:

[ QUOTE ]

32 pin connector, blue:

32-pin, green:

20-pin, red:
1 - vacant
2 - vacant
3 - vacant
4 - vacant
5 - telematic shield earth
6 - vacant
7 - vacant
8 - vacant
9 - vacant
10 - vacant
11 - vacant
12 - radio/navigation - clock
13 - radio/navigation - data
14 - vacant
15 - radio/navigation - enable
16 - vacant
17 - vacant
18 - vacant
19 - vacant
20 - vacant

[/ QUOTE ]

Now looking at the rear of my cluster, I see the blue, I see the green, but no red. I see a place where a smaller red connector could be attached (i.e. there are holes for pins, but no pins). Do you think this could have something to do with the "radio clock" option?

- hoffer

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael,

Your car is communicating with the cluster via dynamic Can-Bus. You do not have any pins at the back of the cluster in the center(red connector) location.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Doh, good point Lito. I would think that if there is any functionality for a "radio" setting the clock, it would be an external module that lived on the CAN bus as well. OK, I'll see what else I can find out...

Thanks for the pointer on the cowl removal on Sunday. So many things with the car are entirely dependent on knowing which way to pull...

- hoffer

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No problem. Happy to help. I was with Paul, remember my neighbor with the lift?, and he remembered you.

L

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Sawdust:

Sorry for giving you bad information in my first reply (thanks, Eric, for the correction). That's good news for me, now I can sell my old low pixel cluster to a person with a MY 2000 Golf!

Below is a picture of the back of my high pixel cluster - I think the empty space is where the 20 pin connector for the nav system would go, but I am not 100% sure of this.

Michael

Back side of high pixel cluster

Sawdust

But with a high pixel cluster do you think the pins for the nav would be missing? i mean that is the only reason for having the high pixel right, is for the nav.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
[ QUOTE ]

But with a high pixel cluster do you think the pins for the nav would be missing? i mean that is the only reason for having the high pixel right, is for the nav.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Lito said that the nav systems communicate through the Dynamic CAN bus now instead of having dedicated wires, which is cool.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
It's possible (just a guess here) that if someone owned a very early model MK IV Golf or Jetta - without the CAN bus - then they would need to get an instrument cluster that had a third connector for the nav system.

Maybe (again, just guessing) the original, pre CAN bus clusters had a third connector, and when VW brought in the CAN bus, they just deleted the connector but didn't bother changing the mould for the plastic.

Michael

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, the third connector is for non dynamic-Can Bus systems, MY 2002 and older.

However, I found out that even with the older MK IV's you can use the Green connector to wire in the Nav system to the cluster.

Here's the related thread

ele28

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf Silver
Regarding the question if Passat cluster will work in Golf or Jetta answer is Yes, if you can get euro cluster for Passat you can use it in Golf, however you have to reuse your front cover because Passat has little wider front ( Clips technik), you can’t use NA Passat cluster with MFA, because it has CAN-BUS but no Immo, and this is major problem, at least Passat 2001.5. For all people wanted to use just plain cluster with MFA (no sport edition) you can buy one from german eBay and reuse your cluster face with MPH , but you have to look for clusters made by VDO, in Europe clusters for VW are made by 2 suppliers VDO and Motometer (Bosch), Bosch is using one single face for cluster and Icons are in different spots than VDO, however VDO cluster are identical except max speed some are 260 km/h (160 MPH) and some only 220 km/h (140 MPH) as TDI in NA so you have to look in to part # to find cluster with top speed 220 km/h to reuse your cluster face , it has to be something like 1J0 920 825 B

xxx 920 xxx for CAN BUS
xxx xxx 8xx for km/h
xxx xxx x2x for small MFA or xxx xxx x2x for full MFA
xxx xxx xx5 for Immo II or xxx xxx xx6 for Immo III

letter A is for Gas engine, B for diesel with top speed 220 km/h and C for diesel with top speed 260 km/h
Below pictures from clusters made by VDO and Bosch ( Motometer) and for comparison what I did using my NA face from 2001 Golf with cluster # 1J0 920 905 L with euro cluster part 1J0 920 925 B, my car has Immo 2, I am not sure about Immo 3 cars

NA TDI VDO Speedo face

Euro TDI speedo face with MFA (look at the icons, exactly the same as NA speedo)

NA TDI RPM Face

Euro TDI RPM Face

Euro TDI Speedo face made by Motometer (Bosch)

NA TDI cluster without MFA and Euro Cluster with MFA

newflyer22

Veteran Member
TDI
(former) 2003 Golf GL TDI Reflex Silver/ Black
On the Euro RPM cluster face, what is the icon above the airbag icon? It looks like turn signals with the number 1 in between. /images/graemlins/confused.gif