Esso Ultron 0-W30 any good ?!?

PWM

Veteran Member
Hi !!

I just read one lube test in a magazine..
The winner was Esso Ultron 0-W30 .

So do you have any opinions or even facts
about that oil ..
(Anyway it's easily available here !! - Amsoil is NOT & RedLine is WAY too expensive !)

-PWM-

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Haven't heard anything about it. Can you find out what the base stock composition is?

If it is a PAO/Ester blend or a Group III/PAO blend it should be pretty good.

Just be wary if it doesnot have any PAO in it.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
GeWilli:

I believe this is a Group III oil, but don't know if it has any PAO in it. Esso has been known to make lower-quality oils that I personally am confortable with. I won't use an oil in my TDI that doesn't have synthetic in it for the benefit of the turbo.

As far as I know Chevron's Delo 400 0W-30, Petro-Canada's Duron XL 0W-30 are the only Group III oils with PAO added to their basestock. AMSOIL's Series 2000 0W-30 has a PAO / Poly-ester blend in a Group IV / V basestock.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Didn't chevron keep the 0W-30 a 100% PAO? I think only the 5W-40 is a GIII oil.

The Esso/Exxon oils in Canada in the 0W-30 and 0W-40 blends are not the best availible.

If it meets the B3 adn B4 ACEA ratings then it probably has some or mostly PAO in it.

feto

Veteran Member
If it meets VW 505 and ACEA B3/B4 (and I am pretty positive that it does) you'll be fine. With the temperatures in Finland, you will need a 0W oil! Ultron is Esso's fully synthetic oil if I am not mistaking.

p.s.: Esso=Exxon.

------------------
'94 Golf tdi 1Z
'56 Willys M38A1

[This message has been edited by feto (edited January 04, 2001).]

PWM

Veteran Member
Hi !!

It seems hard to find any decent info about the Ultron..

Esso pages tell only :

"The Esso range of engine oils is led by the fully-synthetic Esso Ultron. It was developed to meet the ever-increasing demands of the modern engine. "

and Exxon Mobil Chemicals :

"
The engine oil market is the largest share of the automotive segment, which represents 50% of the worldwide demand for lubricants. Engine oils fall into three categories:
Main Applications
Passenger-car engine oil, heavy- duty engine oil, small engines (both 2 and 4 Stroke)
Specifications
API, ACEA and specific OEM’s, i.e. VW, MB for PCEO and HDEO, i.e. MB, Scania, Volvo, MAN; API, TCW, ISO and JASO for small engines
Base Stock Quality
Synthetic, partly synthetic, mineral
In recent years, synthetic oils have become more and more popular with consumers who enjoy their performance benefits, and also with OEMs who continuously recommend high-quality lubricants for their engines.

Fully synthetic engine oils are based mainly on synthetic base fluids such as low viscosity PAO, which represent up to 75% of a formulation and esters which can represent up to 20% of a formulation. The remainder of a formulation is the additive system which includes oxidation inhibitors, extreme pressure/antiwear agents, corrosion inhibitors, dispersants/detergents, pour-point depressants and viscosity index improvers.

"

and

"
ExxonMobil Chemical Synthetic Oils Deliver:

Extended service life
Higher output and increased acceleration by reduction of engine friction
Reduced engine wear and emissions
Superior performance in extreme weather conditions, thereby extending engine life
Faster lubrication of critical engine parts during start-up
Improved resistance to viscosity breakdown
Reduced oil consumption
Our PAO and ester synthetic base fluids also assist formulators in upgrading their current mineral oil formulations in order to pass the new, challenging specifications such as GF-3 (strengthen volatility specification) for PCEO and PC-7 (Mack T8 test) for HDEO. They also assist researchers in formulating ultimate lubricants to meet OEM’s extended oil drain interval challenges such as VW503-506 (OW30 meeting T4 test requirements), BMW (M44 test) and MB VSS2000.
"

So it seems that the oil is probably based on SHF41 PAO-stuff ..

And 'Race Proven' for Turbo Steve ;-) http://www.exxonmobil.com/news/publications/c_winter00_lamp/c_racing_team.html

BTW.. Ultron outperformed Mobil 1
(and also Sell Helix Ultra , Cantrol Formula SLX etc.)

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds great - where can I get some!

Yall are lucky - great selection of really cool cars - reliable fuel quality - great selection of appropriate oils . . . .

PWM

Veteran Member
Really realtime forum !!!

I just checked if it looked OK in wider format ..

And already GeWilli has replied !!
(in about 30 seconds !!)

And sorry for the typoes - like Castrol .. !!

BR -PWM-

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah real time . . . funny how that works . . .

the funniest is when everything gets outa sync

do you know the USdollar cost equivalent of that oil for 1 liter?

PWM

Veteran Member
Hi GeWilli ..

Almost all decent lubes sold here are about 200FIM / 4l
(and all those lubes are 'fully synthetic'..)
So it's about 8 USD per litre.

(I haven't yet checked out the exact price of the Ultron. But if it's noticeable more expensive than the others - nobody would buy it !!)