Espar coolant heater

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well I finally intalled my Espar D5 coolant heater with 7 day timer into my 2006 Jetta TDI after some trial and error. It was minus 20 celsius (-4F) here today the little fuel fired coolant heater did its job thats for sure. By far the best addition to my car I have done so far. I bought a used Espar for $600 and another $50 or so for hoses ect. So for $650 all in (plus my labor) it wasnt too bad. So if anyone wants to see how its done let me know Ill take some pics and post them. It wasnt easy.

Bushed

TDI
06 Jetta-sold
I'd love to see pictures of your install. I talked to an Espar installer here in Calgary who told me to bring my TDI down so they could make a plan on where to place the heater, and how to run the plumbing. After a couple of hours of climbing and crawling all over the car, along with plenty of head scratching, they determined that their was just not enough space anywhere under the hood or behind the front bumper. I came to the sad realization in that instant that the TDI and my work/living arrangement just weren't compatible at that time. Went to a Toyota dealer that same day to trade the Jetta and picked up a Tacoma. As much as I love the Taco, I find myself going through a severe case of TDI withdrawal. Why can't VW just import the Amarok to North America, and Toyota the Hilux? But that's a different topic entirely...

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Too bad you gave up your Jetta after being told it wasn't possible. There is very little room but it is possible. It was a pain in the ass to install though. I had to make some custom brackets and figure out a way to plumb the all the hoses and fuel pump. I still need to modify the lower front wheel well so the bottom hoses will clear but that will be a piece of cake just need some time to do it. I may just consider installing these on the side after all this. I local shop quoted me $3000 to do the job including parts I now know why. Here are some pics as requested. I put the last pic in because it is a nice feeling when you get in your car thats been sitting outside in minus 20 all night and is at 90 degrees, blowing hot air in your face.

Last edited:

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Very nice. How long do you think it takes to heat up the coolant enough to start if it's say, -40C, without being plugged in?

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The 7 day timer is factory set to a 120 min heating period which can be adjusted to any time you like. I can't say exactly how long at minus 40 it would take to heat I am sure 120 min would be plenty though. I noticed in the short time I've had it installed 120 min is a little over kill at -20 c. I think somewhere between 30 mins to an hour would be sufficient.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
those fuelled heaters are somewhere between three and five kW depending on model. That's FAST heating!

Bushed

TDI
06 Jetta-sold
Beautiful install Chad! Glad to see that it can indeed be done on a MkV, but a little frustrating at the same time. If the Espar and Webasto installers had been able to do what you have done, I'd still have my Jetta. Even with the known cam and DMF issues, the little PD is a heckuva engine. I'm looking to pick up a second vehicle in within the next few months...hopefully another TDI. If you do decide to do installs on the side, and I find the car I'm looking for, I'll make the trip up to Edmonton and be your first customer.

Cheers!

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Where did you get the used heater from? Is there anything else required aside from the D5 waterheater? How much fuel does it use an hour? Can you leave it on for 12 hours?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
they're standard on many SUVs and MPVs this side of the Pond. You'd need heater and fuel pump (and water pump if not internal); looms, timers, and fuel tank fittings would be luxuries depending on your need...

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I assume we need the 12V? Do you have to get one with an internal coolant pump and fuel pump? Does the interior vent fan switch on too? Does the unit use the car's in tank fuel pump or just it's own?

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I assume we need the 12V? Do you have to get one with an internal coolant pump and fuel pump? Does the interior vent fan switch on too? Does the unit use the car's in tank fuel pump or just it's own?
Yes the 12 v version is required. I am using the model with the internal fuel/coolant pump. I also have an extra external fuel pump as well cause it came with the heater. The internal fuel pump can be used as long as it is within the required distance from the fuel tank. VW did a very clever thing by adding an auxilliary fuel port on top of the sending unit which can be tapped into to draw fuel from. The metal pick up tube that comes with the kit is not even required on these cars.

I found my Espar on kijiji. I think the fan can be wired to turn on after a certain temp is reached but not really necessary in my opinion. It will just be a bigger draw on your battery.

The heater can be left on while you drive but I wouldnt personally leave it on for 12 hours without the car running. These heaters are more than enough for these cars they use them on Dodge rams, Ford powerstrokes ect.

Link for some stats from Espar website on the Hydronic 5 (D5):

http://www.espar.com/html/products/hydronic5.html

Espar offers 2 versions for the D5, one like mine with internal fuel/coolant pump and another version with a external fuel and coolant pump. Both can be used I am pretty sure.

You have 3 options to operate your heater. Cheapest is the basic push pull switch, most expensive is the 7 day timer.

1. Push pull switch
2. Mini timer
3. 7 day timer

I like the 7 day timer because it also gives you onboard diagnostics ie. fault codes which are handy.

Another nice thing is if you want to remote start the heater you can. As for the 7 day timer all that is required to start the heater remotely is a negative pulse to pin #7 on the timer.

Bushed, sounds good let me know.

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just a little update. I've had the Espar in for awhile now and it heats up much quicker than I thought it would considering it comes with 120 minutes preset form the factory. It takes on average 10 to 15 minutes to reach operating temperature. It has been minus 10-15 celcius around here lately.

hh3130

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Chad,

I've got an espar on my f250 and I was thinking of putting one on my TDI but didn't know where to put it. Thanks for posting this information.

Where did you tie the coolant hoses from the espar into the block?

Heath

vwonly

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
2013 Passat TDI

Does anyone know if it is possible to install a D5 heater in 2013 Passat TDI. or is there a installation kit for this car. thank you

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Chad,

I've got an espar on my f250 and I was thinking of putting one on my TDI but didn't know where to put it. Thanks for posting this information.

Where did you tie the coolant hoses from the espar into the block?

Heath
I spliced into the supply hose to the heater. The schematic didn't help much so I used a thermal laser detecting heat gun to find which hose to splice into. Let the engine run enough to heat up then splice into the hotter hose running to the heater core this is your supply hose.

Had the heater running for a few months now it works great keeps me nice and warm on those chilly mornings.

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Chad. if you still follow this thread I'd be more than happy to pay you for your help installing one of these. Fire me a PM. Should add I drive an MKVI, just haven't updated my signature in a while.

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Got around to doing a couple things to the Espar recently. First thing I did was wire up the heater to have the interior heater fan turn on once the coolant temp warms up enough. Secondly thanks to board member superskid for tipping me off on this one, I installed a GSM relay to start the Espar simply by a phone call or sending a text message. Here is the GSM relay:

I am using a $25 voucher from 7-eleven which is good for a year. It gets free incoming SMS text messaging. When I call the GSM relay it rings a couple times then starts the Espar but never answers so no airtime is charged. I'll still use the 7 day timer but its kinda nice for those situations where you can't plan ahead.
Here's a video of it working:
http://youtu.be/lu7rBkEcaOw

The Espar has been in my Jetta for awhile now with no major problems other than some maintenance. I changed the glow plug screen recently and took it apart to clean out all the soot that built up since I installed it. There was so much that the heater stopped working and would just give me "F52" codes. It runs fine now.
Finally, Espar recommends to run it once a month for 10 to 15 minutes even in the summer apparently if they sit for too long they can develop problems.

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just an update still loving the Espar! Although I replaced the original 10 year old heater last year. I kept getting the dreaded blower fan code drove me crazy so I replaced it. Turns out I didnt need to however. After bench testing the old heater I discovered some grimey build up slowing the fan down. These little heater fans are very sensitive to any kind of blower fan resistance I've learned, the slightest drag will trip the fan code. At least I was able to sell the old heater after cleaning it. With the cabin heater fan wired in and being able to start with my iphone definetly the way to go with a diesel vehicle in a cold climate.

siriusblue

TDI
'09 dsg Jetta sedan
Hoping to find in South/central Ontario someone that can install an espar in a '09 jetta tdi.

Ontario doesn't get as cold as Edmonton, but the benefits of espar are appealing.

Brampton mechanic who does espar installs in big trucks quoted me 10-12hr installation (shop rate 70/hr). Might be best option for an installation w/in 100km of TO area.

PM me if one knows a comparable trustworthy private mechanic in said area. Thanks.

Last edited:

TrevorE

TDI
2002 VW Jetta ALH
Hey Chad. Do you know what KW rating the heater is that you installed? I can get my hands on a cheap used one from a semi truck but I’m a little worried it might be too big. I guess are there any concerns with heating the coolant too quick and the block taking time to reach the same temperature as the coolant?

Chad.

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hydronic D5 – 17,000 BTU/hr 5.0 kw is the one you want. I ran an Espar my for 7 years till my car was writing off. I pulled the espar but haven't got around to installing it in my new (old) 2006 Jetta TDI. I will say they this they are the cats ass when they work do need servicing quite regularly usually to decarbon prone to flame out codes in my opinion. Make sure your battery is strong as well.