error code P0087, flashing coil MIL, engine won't turn over

Pitchar

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI DSG

Driving to work yesterday morning, temps in the mid 30's, car started and ran fine. After a couple miles it loses power and starts to stumble. The coil dash light flashes and within 50' the engine shuts off and I was able to coast without power steering or power brakes to a safe parking area. It will crank but not turn over. I plug in my Harbor Freight scanner and code P0087 comes up, "fuel rail/system pressure too low"

I searched the site and found the above thread. Is this as simple as replacing the fuel temperature sensor?

Pitchar

Shoveltrev

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle deceased, 2003 jetta . 2002 jetta , 2012 sportwagon
unfortunately you need to pop the top off of your fuel filter and check for glitter on top of your fuel filter. if there is your injection pump **** out.

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Did you measure the resistance of the sensor, as described in the post you linked to?

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
If the fuel temp sensor is in question just unplug and replace with a 2k ohm resistor, it will then read 78 deg F but pretty sure that will not keep the car from starting.

Pitchar

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI DSG
OK finally got the dealer to tell me what they think. They believe my last tank of fuel had a significant amount of water in it and everything from the injectors to the pump, fuel lines, and fuel tank needs to be replaced, estimate $7196.72

Shoveltrev

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle deceased, 2003 jetta . 2002 jetta , 2012 sportwagon
thats the typicle and fair market price . i can do it for 5500.00 including timing belt and all those componants sadly im in kansas lol.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
I have seen people with this type of failure attempt to salvage the component by flushing the lines and washing out the diesel tank, only replacing HPFP to see if things can get spared. That would be my course of action if I did this DIY - basically replacing the HPFP and clearing out everything in the lines. If the glitter got to the fuel injectors, those have to be replaced as well and may not be salvaged. And hopefully the main filter will catch any remaining glitter with fuel return and cycling back. Many of the German diesels with CP4 Bosch pumps have failed due to water contamination. They sell fuel-water separator filters to mount, but those would have only helped with small amounts of water. With gross water contamination, no fuel-water separator would have saved you. Is there a chance to pursue legal claim against the fuel center that you got your last fuel from?

I think you're on the hook for at least HPFP, fuel pressure regulator, fuel sensor, and most likely the injectors themselves. I am thinking if you can save money, consider finding someone that had luck cleaning the injectors out, so you may be able to salvage them. Of course, replacement of the entire fuel system is a sure way, but when everything comes out of pocket, it may be worth trying to salvage some components.

Last edited:

Pitchar

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI DSG
My independent mechanic confirms the HPFP failed sending metal downstream. Now we’re trying to get quotes for the pump, lines, fuel rail, and injectors.

I filled up 3 weeks prior to this happening, it’s been down 3 weeks so it’s been 6 weeks total. I usually keep receipts but for some reason I can’t find this last one and looking over my credit card charges, I can’t confirm the exact charge where I fueled up.

Not running, the car is worth $450, basically scrap. Running I would think a 2013 Passat diesel 190k miles would be worth $3000-4000 trade in. I’ve got some decisions to make

PItchar

Pitchar

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI DSG
I just bought a lexus 2015 ES300h, wouldn't you know it, the tires are the same size, 215/55/17. I had just had new Continental tires installed for the Passat, I have the stock wheels and those new tires in the garage because I have rims and snow tires on the vehicle now. So long VW!

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
@Pitchar Sad to see you go, you traitor! LOL. But I know that Lexus will give you years of good service. My engine mechanic cousin just got himself a brand new Camry, he is a big fan of Toyota-group vehicles. Easy to work on, quite reliable.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
btw "crank" and "turn over" i think are considered the same thing. The starter is engaging the flywheel turning the crankshaft.

You prob meant to say, it was able to crank/turn over but not "fire" or "stumble" which makes sense for a HPFP failure.