"Epic Car of the Year For Mediocrity"

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
MotorTrend’s 2012 Car of the Year is an epic win for mediocrity

Jalopnik said:
The Passat is the most significant new car of the year because Volkswagen took great pains to change it in an attempt to make more money from it, largely by making it less remarkable as a car, and more valuable as a driving tool. That's the business. If you don't like it, move to the Isle of Man and drive ****ing rally cars and liter bikes all day, Bruno. Leave me out of your little motoring fiction, will you?
Jalopnik said:
If people won't buy the damn things, why should MotorTrend consider them for car of the year? Why would MotorTrend cater to the whims of "enthusiasts" over the marketplace?
In defense of MotorTrend, they did name the Mazda RX-7 the Car of the Year in 1993.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
MotorTrend’s 2012 Car of the Year is an epic win for mediocrity

In defense of MotorTrend, they did name the Mazda RX-7 the Car of the Year in 1993.
No they didn't. The 1993 Car of the Year was the Ford Probe GT. The RX-7 was the Import Car of the Year.

Of course, the 1985 Car of the Year was the GTI due to it being made in the US. It wasn't until 1999, when Motor Trend merged the Import Car of the Year into Car of the Year.

I guess the Nissan GT-R is a mediocre car... 2009 Car of the Year

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
sounds like i should take a trip to isle of mann!

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
The truth is the truth aint it.....soul sucking appliance....OMG that is funny (not my words just read some of the comments at bottom of appliance)...2 vehicles decontented and made boring.....Please VAG...stop the damage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Dealing with just the TDI Passat, how is it really deconting it when they added the diesel power plant to the line up? To me that's the biggest plus more than anything.

Many here care more about the power plant than HIDs and back up cameras and sunroofs.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I took my Jetta in last week for its 50K service and got to test drive a Passat SEL TDI, I have to admit, I was impressed with every aspect of the new "Amerissat", especially the ride and fuel economy.

Last edited:

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
Dealing with just the TDI Passat, how is it really deconting it when they added the diesel power plant to the line up? To me that's the biggest plus more than anything.

Many here care more about the power plant than HIDs and back up cameras and sunroofs.
+1 :D

I care about fitting kids and getting good mileage, and of course the wife's requirement for heated seats... The rest is icing. Compared to my 05 Golf, this was a big step up in content.