EPA Permits Sale of Inventoried TDIs

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
I've had a couple telling me that too. But with such limited inventory, what am I putting a deposit on!?
Well you can either be very fussy and take exactly what you want or take whatever with the inventories I've seen. Of course lots appear to be autos and comfortlines. Some scarce highlines with manuals.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
It's not going to sell.

Really should not even relist it m ~~ I guess.

Two (not total lowballs) ~~ $22,000

I am resigned to taking the buyback

Having the papers in order ~~ guess I still could list it, While I am actively pursuing VW $$$$$s -- :D

This ebay sale had about as much of a chance of selling as did the one-off website domain names you listed on ebay. Gotta give you credit for trying though.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Remembering back 'bout 3-4 decades.

Honda dealer was taking deposits on Accords.

I fell for it.

Waited 6(?) months

Watching closely the inventory came and went -- :p

Seems as thought the customers who stepped forward with a high offer got the car -- :eek:

So called first come first served. ~~ My behineey -- :mad:
Yup. I purchased a 1977 Honda Accord for $950 over sticker - $6350 right off the lot. Only concession I got was they changed the Firestone tires for another brand off a different new Accord. Best car I ever owned for the first 50K miles.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
This ebay sale had about as much of a chance of selling as did the one-off website domain names you listed on ebay. Gotta give you credit for trying though.
Names were a shot in the dark ~~ YUCK ~~ First name was $.99 last 4 were $6.99(?) Little more than a tank of diesel(?) ~~ More YUCK

..... and the car will never sell at WAG buyback price. :eek:

..... It was worth a try (for me)

..... In the mean time, I sucked it up on learning about step 15 and beyond

..... Everyone on TDICLUB knows there are devastating issues dealing with the WAG

..... Prime reason to (try) to sell to an individual was, because it would have been 10 fold easier with *paper* and many weeks quicker (I thought).

..... and I was working both ends of the candle anyway.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup. I purchased a 1977 Honda Accord for $950 over sticker - $6350 right off the lot. Only concession I got was they changed the Firestone tires for another brand off a different new Accord. Best car I ever owned for the first 50K miles.
My (first) Honda Accord thirst ended with seeing a Honda Civic, as I was traveling. Saw it on the lot, went in, it was offered at MSRP. -- plus $300(?)

Wrote a personal check for MSRP it was accepted, drove it home. Owned it a short time, bought 3 more Honda Accords

Sold 'em on the CURB

Net depressurization on 4 Honda was (APPROX) $1,700

Guesstimated $1.16 depreciation per day -- :D

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
..... Everyone on TDICLUB knows there are devastating issues dealing with the WAG
My dealings with VW have been easy and quick. Most issues are owner inflicted. They try to beat the system or try to be clever in their dealings. Just go with the flow, file your claims to a "T", and be patient. It will be quicker in the long run.

Donald

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
My dealings with VW have been easy and quick. Most issues are owner inflicted. They try to beat the system or try to be clever in their dealings. Just go with the flow, file your claims to a "T", and be patient. It will be quicker in the long run.

Donald
Mostly agree. Not sure about "owner inflicted," but VW picked up the tab for all but $200 of a series of repairs for emissions system failures on my Touareg. The key, I think, was that I was clear about what I wanted, but at the same time was calm and non-adversarial in discussions when work was needed.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My dealings with VW have been easy and quick.
Good for you ~~ easy and the $$$$s in your account:)

Most issues are owner inflicted. They try to beat the system or try to be clever in their dealings.

Just go with the flow, file your claims to a "T", and be patient. It will be quicker in the long run. Donald
Beat = cheat ?

Cleaver = strip ~ sabotage ~ etc ?

might-could-may-can PARTILY agree

-------------------------------------

Which leaves the poor souls, who were messed over, delayed, short changed, FICO score down graded, and who were plain stomped by the WAG thugareeners

Can't speak as a victim, yet. Just reiterating what we all have seen 100 times over ~~ and over again.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mostly agree. Not sure about "owner inflicted," but VW picked up the tab for all but $200 of a series of repairs for emissions system failures on my Touareg. The key, I think, was that I was clear about what I wanted, but at the same time was calm and non-adversarial in discussions when work was needed.
Good for you

Scary part of (mine & all)) WAG diesels is the many problems and the horrid cost of repairs.

Hello gasser ~~ be it VW or Toyota or Honda

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
The salesman here in Canada with a new 15 Highline Passat thinks about 30% off list, FWIW. He is very experienced and been at the dealer more than 20 years.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I think all the "pent up demand" is in the mind of six to eight guys. Once they buy cars, the remaining thousands of cars will go for "make us an offer" prices.

I was especially amused by the guy who thought he could buy one, then sell it back to VW for the settlement schedule price.

Almost as funny as the guy who drove up with a badly smashed car, steam rising from under the hood, and then got upset when the rep wanted him to drive it 10 miles to show it was really capable of operating under its own power.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
^I would tend to agree. How often does a car salesman tell you a car/s will need to be heavily discounted to sell? Not often. For those looking to buy one of these, don't show your cards. Good salesmen can spidey sense an overly eager buyer.

quattrothatcould

TDI
MkVII Golf TDI
I think all the "pent up demand" is in the mind of six to eight guys. Once they buy cars, the remaining thousands of cars will go for "make us an offer" prices.
Agreed. You'll have the enthusiasts who want one, the Mk4 guys who realize this is the last chance at getting a VW diesel and want/need to replace theirs, and then the rest will likely sit, plus the influx of the repaired buy backs. I think the bulk of the regular car buying population has a soured opinion of the TDI thing, so I would think the demand will be low (or, at least, not 67k or even 12k people all looking for one). The enthusiast grade cars (SEL 6MT wagons) will probably go quickly, but I bet we see Golf S' sitting for a while. Additionally, depending on when they're actually available for sale, they're potentially three model years old.

Depending on what the prices are, I would like to scoop up a SE/L 6MT LP wagon for work and sell the wife's Golf back.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
the '15 TDI models that do go on sale will have one thing going for them:

one hell of a factory warranty! the court settlement mandates a nice warranty for these vehicles!

willie
on the 'smile with every VW mile' Gulf of Mexico

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^I would tend to agree. How often does a car salesman tell you a car/s will need to be heavily discounted to sell? Not often. For those looking to buy one of these, don't show your cards. Good salesmen can spidey sense an overly eager buyer.
Seasoned sales staffers are that

But if one wants to take the floor hands out of the loop

Do the shopping from your computer and phone.

Then have them deliver the unit to your driveway

Works for me:D:):D:)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
If there was an option on the CBOT or elsewhere to short trade the 'new but not really' Tdi bubble that won't happen, I'd bet money on it. Demand is going to be 'x' and only x like others have said. The general public could not give a crap about Tdi's anymore.

VW Tdi reputation in 2014 was 'OMG these are awesome clean diesels'.
VW Tdi reputation in 2017 is 'OMG it's a VW with that crappy diesel they had to pay $15,000,000,000 to buy back!'

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Also, these are not new cars. they have been sitting around for a year and a half to two years.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
How I might figure a reasonable top dollar price for a new, unused 2015 TDI.

1) How much compensation did VW pay to the owner of a new 2015 TDI?

2) How much of a discount from MSRP did the buyer of a new 2015 TDI get - Insert Maximum retail discount here.

3) Add in any other incentives ever offered on these cars.

4) How much is 2-3 years of depreciation worth on a new car?

Subtract those 4 items from MSRP to get full retail value of a new VW TDI.

Then fugure how much of a further discount for damaged good/firs sale it will take to move a 3 year outdated product against lower priced buyers.

One other way to look at it: How much does the used, low miles exact same gasser model sell for? Take a look on Edmunds.com for a Private Party value. That may be the best guess we have right now.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Another consideration could be availability of financing. The two credit unions and at least one of the banks I use have specific language describing what qualifies as a "new" car. Generally, up to one calendar year old, or based on one model year older than the current model (so if 2018s are on the lot than 2017 would qualify but not 2016). Unless they make a special exception for the TDIs, that would mean they only qualify for used car financing, which would jack the rate up slightly and disqualify longer term loans.

I'd expect VW Credit wouldn't make an issue of this.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I paid 20% off MSRP for a 2015 non-current car (not VW) in July 2016 and with 0% financing, which is as good as another substantial discount. (didn't need to finance it but I'd be crazy not to) - the car had been sitting in the showroom all this time because evidently nobody except me wants a loaded model with a manual transmission.

I think VW will have to offer at least 30% off MSRP and with good financing to interest anyone beyond the aforementioned overly-eager buyers. And there had better be a rock-solid warranty comparable to that offered to those taking the "fix".

How many overly-eager buyers are out there who are just insistent on buying VW TDI and nothing else ... remains to be seen. For those who have their eyes and minds open, there are plenty of other choices out there ...

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
...evidently nobody except me wants a loaded model with a manual transmission.
Dang, if only VW offered a loaded '15 Passat with a 6MT my wife would probably still be happily driving hers!

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Dang, if only VW offered a loaded '15 Passat with a 6MT my wife would probably still be happily driving hers!
They did....just not in USA. 'mericuns turned lazy, so manufacturers aren't selling many anymore.

Donald

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I contacted a local VW dealer, reply indicates they have some in stock, but no fix yet.

said VW is putting fix of customer cars first, then dealer inventory.

but I thought the first phase of the 2015 fix was software only.

hmmmmm

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Meeting where all this will be announced is this week in Las Vegas. Expect dealers to know more after the meeting.

Fpsphil

TDI
2011 A3 TDI, 2009 Sportswagon TDI (Gone), 2016 Golf R, 2000 Audi S4
Odds of CARB allowing these to be sold in CA seems slim. I know for a fact VW came and picked up all the 2015 TDI inventory from my local dealer

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
I paid 20% off MSRP for a 2015 non-current car (not VW) in July 2016 and with 0% financing, which is as good as another substantial discount. (didn't need to finance it but I'd be crazy not to) - the car had been sitting in the showroom all this time because evidently nobody except me wants a loaded model with a manual transmission.

I think VW will have to offer at least 30% off MSRP and with good financing to interest anyone beyond the aforementioned overly-eager buyers. And there had better be a rock-solid warranty comparable to that offered to those taking the "fix".

How many overly-eager buyers are out there who are just insistent on buying VW TDI and nothing else ... remains to be seen. For those who have their eyes and minds open, there are plenty of other choices out there ...
This is interesting as I am thinking seriously of putting a deposit on one of the "dusty" 2015s they have had in storage. Using the excel calculator that circulated here awhile back, I come up with a scenario of either paying ~ $10 grand assuming no deal on 2015s and you pay MSRP (doubtful scenario) or paying $2700 assuming 30% off MSRP in "fire sale" mode.

This is with the trade of my 2012, the "so sorry" $, and the tax savings.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Also, these are not new cars. they have been sitting around for a year and a half to two years.

Two things, VW has a history of selling previously produced cars in earlier model years to meet emissions new to be sold in later years.....

For those who are not aware,.... In 2006 they chose to overproduce 06 model year "diesel edition" cars they from the start planned to & sold new in 2007 & 2008.... These 2006 model year emissions wise cars were still selling new all the way up to summer of 2008 when the 09 TDI-CRs showed up. Dealers in the Denver area still had 06 Diesel Editions for sale new, most dealers still had at least three cars in the spring of 2008......

These 2 year old cars many still delivered to dealers as late as winter 2007 sold quite well because those who bought them knew this had been done to get around the emissions laws changes in 07 model year....

So I believe there is president to allow VW will not come much if any off of sticker on the 2015 TDIs once they can begin to sell them again.

And after 1 1/2 years of no new TDIs to be sold along with the unmatched new car warranties they will have they will have little trouble selling these ~12.000 "New Cars"....

Dealers will have no incentive to give these rare cars away because all along the time of the emissions scandal people came quite often wanting new TDI cars......

And many of the cars on the lots today already have deposits taken on them for when they go on sale....

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
. So I believe there is president to allow VW will not come much if any off of sticker on the 2015 TDIs once they can begin to sell them again.
WAG et. all is-was always in it for a Mark

There is no competition of new ones ~~ Except the used ones:D

And after 1 1/2 years of no new TDIs to be sold along with the unmatched new car warranties they will have they will have little trouble selling these ~12.000 "New Cars".
Agreed

Dealers will have no incentive to give these rare cars away because all along the time of the emissions scandal people came quite often wanting new TDI cars.
While the interest may wax-wain ~~ law of supply and demand will be in play ~~ further more, it is not a simple *LOCAL* market

Well heeled TDi enthusiast have always driven the sales of particular diesel cars. Die hard(s) wil pay MSRP + and drive-fly around the country for THEIR baby

WAG loves you guys

And many of the cars on the lots today already have deposits taken on them for when they go on sale....

.....if the stealers wish to take a higher *BID* your deposit means squat. It Happens. Your deposit is returned with a *LAME* story

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think VW delivered any new "'06" model year cars to dealers after calendar year 2006. I think they legally had to have been assembled in the 2006 calendar year. It is true, however, that some of the Diesel Edition cars have VINs that indicate they are '07s. But VW didn't have any diesels to sell in '08, unless a dealer or two had a random leftover. Which I doubt.

One thing to consider about the '15s, and that is I'm betting you'll never see another "new" manual transmission diesel in North America.