EPA Finalizes Tier 3 Emission Regulations

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The Tier III regulations for gasoline and gasoline enigines is dropping the sulfur content at the pump from 30 ppm to less than 10 ppm starting in 2017. Within this ruling, they have determined that the current emmissions set up can reduce particulate matter from a gas engine by 50%. However, CARB regulations have PM emmissions dropping be 86.5% by 2025. It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in how the current cars handle the ultra low sulfur gasoline.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I bet there will be people adding a "lubricity" type additive to their tanks when this comes out. Vintage car folks already are doing this with the current blends of 'jungle juice'.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Years back, I worked with a little old man that added moth balls to each tank of gas because it was what his dad taught him to do. Originally, it was for the boost that the naphtha probably gave the gasoline and helped the engine burn a little cleaner. I told him that the current moth balls were doing more harm than good, but he just kept doing it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
The Tier III regulations for gasoline and gasoline enigines is dropping the sulfur content at the pump from 30 ppm to less than 10 ppm starting in 2017. Within this ruling, they have determined that the current emmissions set up can reduce particulate matter from a gas engine by 50%. However, CARB regulations have PM emmissions dropping be 86.5% by 2025. It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in how the current cars handle the ultra low sulfur gasoline.
They never learn, do they? I doubt they'll accept responsibility for the thousands of damaged/destroyed engines and millions of dollars lost this will bring. The benefits will NOT outweigh the costs.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
They never learn, do they? I doubt they'll accept responsibility for the thousands of damaged/destroyed engines and millions of dollars lost this will bring. The benefits will NOT outweigh the costs.
The regulators tend to not give two hoots about the benefits outweighing the costs. They have to do something to justify their livelihoods and creating new regs out of whole cloth with frequently "made up" stats and justifications. So it wrecks your engines? Why should we care? We don't. The frequently stated reasons that it will save "x" lives over "y" years are difficult to prove, but that doesn't matter.

Let me say that I worked for a government regulatory agency (US) for over 30 years, and levels of contaminants (natural and otherwise) didn't depend on what might be safe or not, but on the detection limit of whatever contaminant was of concern. It amazes me that anyone over the age of maybe 60 survived to that age given the filthy air, water, and food we took in.

There need to be regulations, I'm not advocating "dirty air" or "dirty water", but let's face it they're about as clean as possible. Each increment becomes more and more expensive and difficult until we're paying double to reduce the contaminant that last 0.01% or less. Is it really worth it?

JMHO.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The sulfur restrictions on road vehicles are amazing when the bunker fuel that ships burn is over 1% sulfur. :eek:

Imagine the pollution reduction that could be realized from cleaning up the big fuel burners, although it would probably be at a great financial expense for shipping companies and the like.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
The sulfur restrictions on road vehicles are amazing when the bunker fuel that ships burn is over 1% sulfur. :eek:

Imagine the pollution reduction that could be realized from cleaning up the big fuel burners, although it would probably be at a great financial expense for shipping companies and the like.
I believe the new restriction will be up to 1000ppm or 0.1% starting in 2015.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/oceanvessels.htm#engine-fuel

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI