Engine Vibration Increased After Installing New Motor Mounts

Platinum_PD

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI PD sedan, Platinum Grey
I own a 2004 VW Jetta TDI sedan, 5-speed manual, BEW engine code. I have 343,000 miles on the car and I am the original owner. In May I had my original motor mounts replaced (engine, transmission and dog bone mounts). I have driven 1700 miles since the mounts were replaced. My mechanic used mounts from manufacturer SKP. With the new mounts, I am experiencing significantly more vibration compared to the original mounts, especially at idle. I wonder why would there be more vibration than with the original mounts? It's not what I was expecting. I looked at the engine mount on the passenger side -- it looks like they used new bolts which is what you are supposed to do. I didn't have a chance to look at the bolts for the transmission or dog bone mounts yet.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Assuming your mechanic did everything right (proper torque values used on replacement bolts),
one can only conclude that the aftermarket mounts are made with a more dense (higher durometer) material.
OEM parts are generally recommended unless you're seeking power mods, racing performance etc.
I suppose it's possible though, that the durometer of the new mount material is the same as OEM mounts and
you're just not used to how OEM mounts feel after the past 343k miles have softened them? But I kind of doubt that!
If it's any consolation, you're far from the first to regret higher-density mounts.
Also, going higher density on the dogbone mount alone can result in the harsher feel.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Unfortunately it's not uncommon that non-oem motor mounts don't work as well as oem ones for keeping out vibration. Our PT Cruiser suffers from the same problem when I replaced a blown OEM mount with one made by Anchor. The price difference between OEM and aftermarket is about 10:1 though, so I live with it.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Are they polyurethane mounts? They're quite a bit harsher than OEM mounts which use vulcanized natural rubber from what I can tell.

Platinum_PD

Veteran Member
TDI
After researching this further, I decided to place an order for OEM mounts. I setup an appointment to install the mounts on July 16. I'm purchasing the OEM mounts from IDParts. My mechanic said that they will credit me for the cost of the SKP mounts but will charge me labor to install the OEM mounts. I thought that sounds good to me. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Platinum_PD

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: I had the OEM mounts installed. I noticed a difference immediately. Startup was smoother, idle was smoother. Also somewhat smoother engine at highway speeds. The steering wheel no longer shakes at startup or idle, it feels solid. The OEM mounts were quite a bit more expensive but in my opinion were totally worth it.