Engine trouble? Check fuse no. 34!

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
I replaced my heater core myself on my 2000 Jetta. After I got it all back together, I fired it up to give it a test run. It ran like total crap! no timing, limp mode, terrible white smoke pouring out of my exhaust, and to top it all off it sounded like a 1988 cummins 3500 with only four cylinders working. I hooked it up to vagcom and the following codes were found:

19561 - Valve for Intake Manifold Flap (N239): Open or Short to Ground
P3105 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17849 - EGR Valve (N18): Open Circuit or Short to Ground
P1441 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17552 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Open or Short to Ground
P1144 - 35-00 - -
17660 - Commencement of Injection Valve (N108): Open or Short to Ground
P1252 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Something was horribly wrong! It had to be electrical, there was no reason that that many strange faults should magically appear right after I reattached my dash. I thought that I missed a ground hook-up or something. I checked back, and they were all hooked in.
I looked in my bentley manual for any fuse locations and wrote down a few possibles. One of the possible fuses was missing! I found it hiding under my brake pedal. The missing fuse, number 34 was labeled in the bentley manual as "engine control systems" or something of the sort.
I don't know how exactly it fell out, or why that one specifically, but it perplexed me for a whole week. If you ever get that series of codes and some of those symptoms, check fuse 34.
They should label that fuse as SUPER IMPORTANT

Last edited:

splendour

TDI
none
To Frequent flyer: Totally uncanny, an Identical scenario, 2000 jetta, replaced the heater core, car ran like crap, codes p1305, p1549, p1441, p1144, p1252. For me , I searched after, reading your post, for the missing fuse, never did find it, but it was missing and did correct the problem.... Thanks so much for your post.

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
Wow. Glad it helped! I guess that fuse is in a spot that makes it fall out easily.
Hopefully this post helps more people in the future :)

nlitwiller

TDI
2000 New Beetle
This post helped me this morning, I haven't had my dash out recently but while driving home today my bug started sounding "like a diesel". I googled the codes that I pulled when I got to the shop today, checked fuse 34, found it was blown and replaced it. I haven't tried it yet so it may very well blow again meaning that I haven't gotten to the bottom of the problem but at least I know where to start. Thanks!