ENGINE SURGE!!!

rylerw

TDI
2006 tdi 1.9 DSG
I have a 2006 VW tdi 1.9l Jetta. Engine runs AMAZING in the summer and no problems!! In the winter. When it gets cold and if I ride on the rumble strips on the road the engine hesitates or jerks. It also now when I go above 2000 rpm’s will do the same thing! Replaces the fuel filter about 10,000 miles ago. Could that be the problem??

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
It could be... but only if you're still on the rumble strips.
Do winter rumble strips have the same effect on it as summer rumble strips?

rylerw

TDI
2006 tdi 1.9 DSG
Ya I thought that too but I drive up north for 3 hrs to see family and it still did it. It was running at normal operating temps.

rylerw

TDI
2006 tdi 1.9 DSG
I’m thinking maf because it’s only when it’s cold. It’s never been replaced and the engine has 217k

rylerw

TDI
2006 tdi 1.9 DSG
Did some research on it and if I unplug maf it goes into limp mode and sets it’s own maf calculation while I drive it. So if I drive it with maf unplugged and it’s fine then I got a bad maf. Just wondering if anybody else thinks there might be another cause of the problem.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
highly doubt your maf is the problem, if it drives fine without touching the rumble strips. any codes?

rylerw

TDI
2006 tdi 1.9 DSG
That’s the worst part. No coded and readiness test is all good. Just only does it when on rumble strips and anything above around 2000 rpm’s in the cold. In the summer no problems!!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You can try unplugging the MAF and see if it makes a difference, but I’d sooner think it would be the wiring to the crank or cam sensor.