Engine starts but stops immediately - Golf Mk4 TDI 115

MrFloppy

TDI
Golf Mk4 TDI 115
Hi.

Suddenly my Golf 4 stopped starting, well, it would start and stop immediately. After asking and getting a little information I assumed it could be the immobilizer and decided to buy a VAG-COM. It has arrived yesterday and although I still do not control it, I have made my first scan.

The background is, a Golf 4 TDI 115 of 2.000, totally original, starts and stops immediately. The immobilizer warning light is as if it were dead, it does not come on at any time, not even to do the test when switching on the ignition.

I am attaching the VCDS log with the relevant errors for the topic.

As you can see, there is an error Start blocking by immobilizer in the engine, another of Communication interrupted intermittently with the control unit in the Panel and the same error in the CAN Bus.

Thanks.

Code:
Wednesday,12,January,2022,19:55:19:00009
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 19.6.2.0
Data version: 20190930 DS308.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: 1J - VW Golf/Bora IV (1998 > 2006)
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 16 17 19 22 29 35 36 37 39 46 47 55 56 57 75

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: 038-906-019-AJM.lbl
   Part No: 038 906 019 AM
   Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG  0813 

2 Faults Found:
17664 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62)
            P1256 - 35-00 - Open or Short to Plus
17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
            P1570 - 35-00 -
Readiness: 0 0 X X X

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 1J0-907-37x-ABS.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 907 379 AF
   Component: ASR     20 IE CAN  0001 

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC        Labels: 3Bx-907-044.lbl
   Part No: 3B1 907 044 C
   Component: CLIMATRONIC     C 0.7.0 

1 Fault Found:
01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)
            37-00 - Faulty

Address 15: Airbags        Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.lbl
   Part No: 6Q0 909 605 A
   Component: 02 AIRBAG VW5       0003 

No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 1J0-920-xx0-17.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 920 802 G
   Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. BOO V23 

1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
            49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

Address 19: CAN Gateway        Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
   Part No: 6N0 909 901
   Component: Gateway K<->CAN    0001 

1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
            49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

Address 46: Central Conv.        Labels: 1J0-959-799.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 959 799 Q
   Component: 4F Zentral-SG Komf. 0001 

2 Faults Found:
00912 - Window Regulator Switch; Front Left (E40)
            27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00944 - Heated Exterior Mirror; Passenger Side (Z5)
            35-10 - - - Intermittent

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 05:02)--------------------------

MrFloppy

TDI
Golf Mk4 TDI 115
.... ok, so the first issue, and it is a major one... that isn't legit VCDS. So until you resolve that, we are done here.

I do not understand why you say that. I have bought a VAG-COM 21.9 cable with the VCDS software legitimately. In addition to the verson 21.9 they have sent me the 19.6.2 because they have told me it is more compatible with my car, a Golf 4.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
You are not using a legit Ross-Tech kit. Demand a full refund.

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Wow so helpful, makes me want to go out and buy your product.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
To OP Who did you buy it from?
To rosstech vendor : why and how do you know that? Your not being helpful just rude. This beeb is trying and clearly is trying 100% to do the right thing.

The issue is yiu clearly have a fault with the security immobilizer.
You can either replace it or bypass it for now. There are many threads from faild or dying keys to the unit its self.
Bypass it for now so you can drive it. Order the parts to fix it. Depending on where in Spain you are... might be hard to get a legit cable .....

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
To OP Who did you buy it from?
To rosstech vendor : why and how do you know that? Your not being helpful just rude. This beeb is trying and clearly is trying 100% to do the right thing.

The issue is yiu clearly have a fault with the security immobilizer.
You can either replace it or bypass it for now. There are many threads from faild or dying keys to the unit its self.
Bypass it for now so you can drive it. Order the parts to fix it. Depending on where in Spain you are... might be hard to get a legit cable .....
Yo, Mongler, chill. jef@rosstech isn't just a VCDS "vendor", he IS Ross-Tech. He knows that by reading data in the OP's scan. The OP has obviously been scammed by whoever he bought his cable from...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yo, Mongler, chill. jef@rosstech isn't just a VCDS "vendor", he IS Ross-Tech. He knows that by reading data in the OP's scan. The OP has obviously been scammed by whoever he bought his cable from...
i know all that but i wanted to know for myself, how that was a tell tale of a scammed cable? it was a bit rude though. OP is trying and needs as much info as possible.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
@MrFloppy looks like a module might be bringing your can network down so the ecu isn't able to communicate with the cluster. It's possible the sensor ring in the ign went bad or your key broke. Do you have a spare key? Easiest is just send the ECU in and have the immo deleted.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Does your dash light up properly? Can you do the test vcds procedure on it. Also if Jeff says you have a non genuine cable.... Did you buy it from a trusted vendor? Because the new software will work on the older cars. Just the software you were given may be hacked.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
We at Ross-Tech pride ourselves on our customer service and I think our track record proves this. However, customer service is just that, service for our customers. As you might suspect, we are not obligated to help people using knock off versions of our product.

How do I know it is fake? Well, for one, the formatting and data not correct, not even close. Further, the person states:

In addition to the verson 21.9 they have sent me the 19.6.2 because they have told me it is more compatible with my car, a Golf 4.
None of our distributors publish or provide the English version of VCDS, it is only available via our Ross-Tecch web site. Outdated versions of VCDS are not available for download once a new version is make public. And the statement an outdated version of VCDS is "more compatible" is gibberish at best.

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
However, customer service is just that, service for our customers. As you might suspect, we are not obligated to help people using knock off versions of our product.

If you don't think he's a customer you're not obligated to reply either. Rude is rude bud.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Any other product is looking better and better.
I use obdeleven mostly. I managed to get the lifetime subscription. While not as indepth as vagcom. It's a good alternative. Just the support isn't there.
I have a genuine cable. Just was secondhand, and an older unlimited vin cable.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
However, customer service is just that, service for our customers. As you might suspect, we are not obligated to help people using knock off versions of our product.

If you don't think he's a customer you're not obligated to reply either. Rude is rude bud.
He's not being "rude" at all; just stating facts. The OP obviously thought that he had purchased a genuine Ross-Tech VCDS dongle, which is not the case. Jef was just explaining how he knew it was not the real deal.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I use obdeleven mostly. I managed to get the lifetime subscription. While not as indepth as vagcom. It's a good alternative. Just the support isn't there.
I have a genuine cable. Just was secondhand, and an older unlimited vin cable.
I highlighted the key phrase for you there...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
When you research, build and develop a program that is known world wide as one of the best out there and then some chinese hack 2 bit programmer steals your work and sells it as legitimate, I wouldn’t be just rude I’d be mad. Not necessarily at the original poster who probably thought he had the real deal but at a government that allows this theft of intellectual property to happen without fear of consequences.

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
.... ok, so the first issue, and it is a major one... that isn't legit VCDS. So until you resolve that, we are done here.

Last comment from me because it's not solving the OP's problem. How is this not rude? It's certainly not helping the OP, and the OP didn't ask him he / she asked the forum.
But I'm not helping either, I just thought it was a stupid comment for someone trying to make a buck and I commented in the moment.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I get it, knock offs are everywhere, and some people really don't know they don't have a legitimate copy.
Jef, I understand your position, I get it. You could have been kind and asked all the same questions, and then offer your help to fix the issue.
And to be a bit more clear, you are not the only person on this website than could offer help to a new person.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I just recently saw someone on CL selling a "genuine" VCDS, including the OP's software versions included "for free!" for $120. So obviously a cheap $30 knock-off that someone in China is making $25 off of, and someone in Vancouver is looking to make another $90 off of, the work of a small company that has developed world-leading software / hardware. The fact that they continue to provide support for me, having not given Ross-Tech any additional money since I purchased the hardware almost a decade ago....do the right thing, people.

Support the people who do the work to enable us to do diagnostics that is better (certainly faster) than even the factory tools.
If you wanna use something else, go to them for support; don't post the bogus stuff here looking for help.