Engine shutdown immediately after startup

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
My Passat is just starting to experience an intermittent problem that the Jetta/Golf bretheren have been experiencing. Folks are thinking this is KESSY related and I am inclined to agree. Ref this thread.

I don't think it has anything to do with the engine itself since everything shuts down as if I pressed the start/stop button. It's happened 3 times in the last month. Anyone else in the NMS realm experience this yet?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think it's an immobilizer issue with KESSY. Do you have an immobilizer light on by any chance? Or does it say key not in range?

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
No scan codes. (I do have a VCDS) No immobilizer light or key out of range message. Nothing. It's like someone pushed the button to stop the engine immediately after it starts. Very odd.

neuro

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
99% sure it's the immobilizer. Had this exact problem with my '06 Passat 3.6L. Initially it only happened a couple times per month, but it quickly got worse - to the point it happened every time I tried to start the car. The dealership replaced the immobilizer on the steering column and it never happened again. Seems to be a common problem with VWs - the dealership was very familiar with the issue. Parts and labor ran about $450.

Last edited: