Engine shake while in 3rd/4th gear

froshman

TDI
2011 VW Jetta
Got a weird issue that started recently.
2011 Jetta TDI - Emissions update was done by VW
237,000KM
Manual Transmission, regular service is done on the car.
my scanner tool shows no codes. no engine light has ever come on.

Problem:
while driving in 3rd or 4th gear, if i slowly back off the pedal the engine rpms start going down and back up and starts causing the engine to shake.. sometimes violently. if i press slightly again the problem goes away, same if I release the pedal fully.

I have only noticed this in 3/4 gear. I have also done a test when the engine is shaking to engage the cruise control, and the behavior persists with cruise on.
RPM is usually around 1700 - 2000 when this occurs.

Anyone else out there have this same problem with their TDI, if so any recommended fixes or things to check?

I have asked the dealer but they found no fault.

brneylan

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi Froshman, did you ever figure out your problem with the chugging in 3rd/4th? I have a 2014 MT and mine does the same. Talked to friend today who also has a MT 2014 and his does it too? Dealer did not seem to know, but they did change the intercooler to a cold weather kit. This did not help.

marko320

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I just replied to a similar thread 10 minutes ago: I had the same problem. Light throttle. Gear 3 or 4 at 1800RPM. After 3 dealer visits I got a new throttle body. The problem went away and returned with a vengeance. It's going to the dealer next week. Stay tuned for a follow up.

brneylan

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Look forward to hearing what you find out. Is the dealer doing the work under warranty? Spoke with a VW shop in Madison, WI that specializes in TDI's and they mentioned this is super common with the reprogrammed TDI's and recommended the Kerma tune. I have yet to do this, but they stated more power and better fuel economy . . . sounds nice.

marko320

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Yes to CPO. My buddy was a VW service manager. His personal MK6 TDI had the same problem pre detuning, so we had to rule out software in the name of science. Tuning was also suggested to me a few times, but I am worried about exaggerating the problem instead of correcting it. I hope to follow up soon on resolving the issue, especially this is my 4th dealer visit. I was planning on tuning and suspension mods, but now I am strongly considering selling it.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
tune by kermatdi will fix this light throttle shudder problem.
can't speak for other tunes, though.