engine revs on cold start

jrb

TDI
jetta, 1998, silver
A friend has a 98 jetta tdi and for about the last 6 months his engine revs on cold starts (+ 30 minutes after shutdown) and puffs out a big black cloud. Is it possible he has an injector leaking down? He has never had the timing belt changed and vag com showed it at the below limits. I advanced the timing to acceptable but He bought it at 119k and I think they sold it before changing it. It now has 160k. The timing belt does not show any signs of coming apart and he knows he has to change it but just wondering if that has something to do with the revving.

Thanks for any help

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
What paramedick said on the start up surge.

But, are you saying this car has 160k on the timing belt? I'm going to bet it has 100k as the change interval is 60k. That realy should be changed ASAP.

GeneralStark

TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Yep, probably the fuel shut-off solenoid. Usually removing it and reseating the o-ring will solve it. This will sometimes throw a code, at least in my car it did.

jrb

TDI
jetta, 1998, silver
I hooked up the vag com again and pulled the codes and it did throw a n109 error. His cel light must be burned out. He is going to reseat the o ring this weekend.