Engine replacement under CPO warranty?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I'm just curious if anyone's needed an engine replacement under CPO warranty. There are 3 CPOs in our family, but I don't anticipate needing a replacement. However, a friend has a 2015 Jetta, and his plan is to take a center punch to the turbo shaft and then try to get a new head/turbo/maybe engine from the dealer. My TDI guru/mechanic and I agree that he needs to learn the hard way, but with that said, we're wondering if anyone's been fortunate enough to have VW replace the whole motor under warranty without a big hassle...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think there's a big meth problem in that area. Paul, I'd tell him it's a terrible idea, and he needs to take a long look in the mirror. Neglect is bad enough, sabotage is just downright slimy.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
That friend ate a lot of lead paint as a kid, sounds like. :rolleyes:
Why would you do this???
Yeah, or something. He's now an ex-friend, having screwed my family out of over $50K, and his own father-in-law of nearly $100K. I think he let his CPO warranty expire, because he was running from the repo man for months, though his wife's bankruptcy put a stop to VW's collection efforts.

I think there's a big meth problem in that area. Paul, I'd tell him it's a terrible idea, and he needs to take a long look in the mirror. Neglect is bad enough, sabotage is just downright slimy.
A long look in the mirror... When he does that, I think it propels him to get slimier and slimier...

On a funny note, he said that a tech at the dealer offered to "hollow out" his DPF for him for $400. I really wish, going back, I told him that's a great idea (neglecting the fact that without the appropriate tune, it would probably burn his car down, or at the very least, his rear bumper cover).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think some would say he's contemplating insurance fraud, which is, I believe, a felony. Not sure he'd be prosecuted, but perhaps he should be to help account for past misdeeds.

Regarding the CPO warranty, I know of at least two people who've had engines replaced under that warranty. But they had legitimate failures.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I think some would say he's contemplating insurance fraud, which is, I believe, a felony. Not sure he'd be prosecuted, but perhaps he should be to help account for past misdeeds.

Regarding the CPO warranty, I know of at least two people who've had engines replaced under that warranty. But they had legitimate failures.
You never know. He committed insurance fraud here on my property. He brought home some round bales of hay for me, when my F-450 had issues (turns out it had a weak HPOP, not to mention a faulty ICP sensor). Aside from overloading my 20 foot trailer by about 3000 pounds (which got me upset as it is), he had a round bale in the back of his Dodge 2500. Pulled it out from the side instead of rolling it off the back like you're supposed to. Anyways, he bent the bed, and then filed a claim saying that his headache rack/tool box was dragged out of there. Only problem was that his truck bed was full of maggots, rotting food,and trash.

So yes, that's the type of person this was. And yes, he was investigated, both by the state insurance commission, and by his company's SIU. What became of it, I don't know, since we haven't talked in over 6 months.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Oh, out of curiosity - were these CJAA motors, or EA288?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
One was a CKRA, one was a CJAA. Passat and Sportwagen, if I recall correctly.