Engine oil leak

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The water pump isn't going to do anything. You probably have a leak at the head gasket, valve cover gasket, camshaft module, etc. Or a crack in one of those items. I doubt it is the block, as even a crack near the water pump would just leak coolant, and not oil.

And since it is spewing all over, and it seems to be (from your description) heat cycle related, it probably is not an oil pressure type leak.

I would want to remove the timing components, remove the inner cover, and inspect what is underneath. It is obviously coming from BEHIND the hole in the inner cover where the water pump passes through.

There is also a sealing cap on the end of the camshaft module it could be coming from. The belt drives the exhaust cam, so it has a regular seal. But the intake cam is run via gear off the exhaust cam, the cam itself does not stick out through the front of the module, so they cap that machine hole off at the front.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Thanks for the info Oilhammer. We're in a "7 to 10 day wait" for the water pump to be delivered to the dealer. In the mean time I will be contacting them to talk about the things that you suggested.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is no reason they couldn't have a water pump by Monday morning. What a load of crap.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I guess the wait for the water pump was a bit exaggerated, because it was replaced yesterday. The service advisor said they were limited on how far they could go with disassembly since it was being covered under warranty. After consulting their tech line they removed the pump and inspected the block. Not finding anything to alert them of a cracked or pourous block, they replaced the pump.

Going forward, if the problem resurfaces it should continue to be covered under warranty. At least thats what the service advisor said.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Glad there was no hassle from the dealer. Let's hope it was merely a little but of coolant just collecting dirt once it puddled below the vibration damper.

Sparkyz

TDI
2014 tdi se
I’m having an oil leak in my tdi similar to one described. I’m wondering if you had any problems after you changed the water pump?

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
I just did my timing belt service, and I had the exact same crusting on the old water pump, and a little in the bottom of the shroud by the crank. I have not had any noticeable oil loss, nor any oil leaked onto floor or splash shield. I will check at next oil change to see if new WP has any evidence of oil seepage.

**update**

After closely inspecting my removed waterpump, I have come to the conclusion that the oil seepage from the weep hole is likely from the WP itself. I think this is German engineering at its finest, indicating that the WP could be close to failure, due to oil/grease seepage from bearing. What do you all think?

Last edited: