engine oil capacity

gopher

I used a Pela extractor to change oil on a new TDI special edition with 2900 miles on the speedometer and could only obtain 3.2 quarts (oil filter also removed). The VW manual states engine oil capacity is 5.1 qts/4.8L with oil filter; why the descrepancy? Do you need to remove oil from below for complete removal of oil?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Did you also extract the oil from the oil cooler. I believe there is close to a qt in there.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Oh boy.. the grief you will get for changing at 2900 miles. :eek: I have heard that there may be a problem with getting the pela tube down far enough into the pan to get it all. Try a search to see if you can find anymore help. Just applies to the A5 PD motors. Very similar stories across the forum.

Don't worry about the oil change tho... I too wanted that factory fill outa my engine asap.. 2500 for me.;) I couldn't believe how much quieter the engine was after that from using Elf DID.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
4.8 L is about it. If you drain the cooler have spare orings first in case. The cooler has about 6 to 8 oz.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
yeah, I think the general concensus is that the first change before the VW recommended 5,000 miles is at least wasteful and not helpful if not downright counter-productive in getting the best break-in possible.

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
On the first change I found it impossible to get all the oil out from the top of the '06. At 10K, it was up on the new Rhino Ramps (from Wal-Mart) for draining, and I used the Pela to get the oil from the oil cooler (below the oil filter housing). Soooo easy.

Ray

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
One thing others have done in the past is fail to realize that when you remove the oil filter cap the oil in the housing then drains down to the pan. They end up missing this short quart of oil.

Your 3.2 quarts would be about what you'd expect without the oil from the filter.

gopher

the oil filter housing was removed as was the oil filter before the oil was extracted with the Pela extractor.... 3.2 qts was obtained; how much oil would be in the old oil filter element... add that to the oil left in the engine oil cooler (?1/4 qt.)should equal 5.1qt/4.8L... has anyone measured the actual oil recovered from draining from below on a new engine?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
gopher said:
the oil filter housing was removed as was the oil filter before the oil was extracted with the Pela extractor.... 3.2 qts was obtained; how much oil would be in the old oil filter element... add that to the oil left in the engine oil cooler (?1/4 qt.)should equal 5.1qt/4.8L... has anyone measured the actual oil recovered from draining from below on a new engine?
__. It might not be applicable on the "A5" cars, but several owner have done a "topside" oil extraction on A4's and then pulled the plug at the bottom and got little more than a few drops of oil. But there have been issues with the oil extraction units not getting all the fuel out of A5's.

__. It sounds to me like three questions -- 1) Am I not getting all the oil out of the sump with the top-side, or 2) is there oil hung up in the engine somewhere and not in the sump, or 3) was my oil low and did I only have 3-and-a-bit quarts in the engine?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
4.5 liters w/filter change. That is how much I put BACK into mine and
the dipstick always reads correct with that amount. (I drain from bottom
and suction the cooler from the top.)

Are you still in the middle of the oil change??? If so, pull the drain plug
and see how much more you get.

If not, What oil did you put in it? I hope you used 505.01!

Bill

gopher

the oil/filter change is completed and was done with a warm engine. As this was the first oil change the engine had the correct amount of oil. I used Castrol TXT oil from the dealer and a VW filter... I put in 3.6 liters of oil back and the dipstick read low normal... I was afraid of putting back much more than I extracted... I have no means of removing the drain plug from below. TDI owners need to understand what is going on when they change the oil from above as I do... I ;used this technique on a 86 MB diesel and got 527,000 miles and engine ran like new when I finally sold it.

Jeffmx5

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Red / New Beetle, 2000, Red
You don't know that. Just because this is your first oil change on the engine does not mean the sump was full. It may not have been full from VW or it could have burned/leaked the oil you are missing. Remember you are seating the rings so it is reasonable for higher oil consumption past the rings until the motor is more broken in. 1 liter in 2900 miles is not unreasonable for a new motor.

Unless you pulled the dip stick and measured the quantity of oil in the sump you don't know how full it was. VW put the marks on the dip stick for a reason. If the sump is low add oil until it reaches the full mark.

Both our TDIs use some oil between 10k oil changes. If I only put back in what I drained out eventually you would run your motor out of oil.

I always do my oil changes from the bottom side. Since I also rotate the tires every oil change there is no added hassel in jacking the car up and putting it on jack stands.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
This next change I'm going to still just use the topsider method, and do what some have been doing for years now.. new filter and 5l of oil right down the oil filter housing. No more messing around with start stop, check, add, spill, curse, start, curse, stop, check, curse, spill... you get the point..

As long as the level does not exceed the top bend of the dipstick, I will be happy.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
"Bring out your dead"

mrGutWrench said:
__. It might not be applicable on the "A5" cars, but several owner have done a "topside" oil extraction on A4's and then pulled the plug at the bottom and got little more than a few drops of oil. But there have been issues with the oil extraction units not getting all the fuel out of A5's.
I had the oportunity to do this very test with it up on ramps and the belly open on an 06 BEW. Sucked out the usual 4l plus a tad bit more from the oil filter drippings. Got under with a 19mm and opened it up for the first time in 73k. 1/4 cup dripped out. I think I could have enticed another 1/4 cup had I not had the back wheels up, but I was also checking the DSG fluid level.

1/2 cup of oil is not worth the hastle of bottom side changes so I hope I torqued that 19mm back on there good enough cuz it's there to stay.

Filled with 1 gal + 1 litre for the perfect PD fill. Checked level.. top of bend... perfect.

Now for the OMG moment... Drained out TDT with only 4k on it. :eek: Filled'er right back up with TDT...;)

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
It would be easier and faster to drain the oil while is hot from the drain plug. It's there in the 1st place for a reason. Why? it's easier to work w/ gravity than against it. While the oil is hot, it flushes out all the foreign mat'l w/ it. Then, I would use the oil xtractor to remove the remaining oil in the oil pan, and OFH.

Last edited:

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
T_D_I_POWER said:
I would be easier and faster to drain the oil while is hot from the drain plug. It's there in the 1st place for a reason. Why? it's easier to work w/ gravity than against it. While the oil is hot, it flushes out all the foreign mat'l w/ it. Then, I would use the oil xtractor to remove the remaining oil in the oil pan, and OFH.
Easier...Faster? No Way!

Your way...Lift or ramps, belly pan removal, oil catch pan, still need to use an extractor for the filter housing, re-attach belly pan, lower car.

My way... Extractor works while I change out o-rings and swap filter. Add oil. Easily pour contents of extractor in empty oil container.

Maybe with a Pella it's slower, but still easier :D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Roshermoore said:
I'm not concerned about the amount you used but I am concerned about the kind of oil you used. The proper oil for the 09's 10's is the Castrol SLX Professional LL03. That is the oil they carry for the cars with DPF. What do you mean by "Castrol TXT"?
Gopher was talking about his new TDI in February 2007 -- this is an old thread.