engine noise

Taggs

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
My 2001 Jetta TDI with 53,000 miles on it has just started to make a squeeky wine noise while accelerating and while being reved up in my driveway. It doesn't require high RPM and the car still has plenty of go juice. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was th fix? Thanks, Dave

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
Squeeky whine or chirpy chirp.
Hum,, have you considered the accessory drive belt. ?That multi v serpentine belt. If it's the original and four years old it's about due to die.

CalPauley

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL, cosmic green
i know the noise you mean. it's definitely not the turbocharger. i'm guessing it's a belt noise. i've tried driving along a wall with the window open so the noise is amplified enough to get a better idea but i haven't concluded anything yet.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Hello Taggs. Welcome to the group and sorry to hear a problem with a TDi.

Exactly what is a
squeeky wine noise
?

I haven't heard my wine making any squeeky noises. (sorry, I just couldn't resist).

Since the noise can be made in your driveway, try to identify where it is coming from. Do you have a piece of garden hose you can sacrifice? It takes about a 2 foot section. Other tubing probably would work - aquarium hose (1" size) etc.

Have someone rev the engine to where the noise starts, and take the hose, with one end next to your ear, put the other over various areas where you think the noise can be coming from. Be careful not to be hit by moving parts. It might be a belt, generator, water pump, (others please fill in other possibilities).

However, with the hose and your ear, you'll probably find it for yourself. Please report back if you try this.