Engine noise

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
My passat started making a noise today, was driving down the freeway and heard it when I was pulling up to the traffic light. Pulled over in a parking lot no low oil pressure light, no over temp light, proper level of oil and coolant. Noise gets slightly less noisy when I press the clutch pedal in.

History of the car that I know, bought it last year with 253k miles, 5 speed stage 2 tune and was told a bad engine by the previous owner, he claims to have run it out of oil said the oil feed for the turbo blew, he put a new stainless braided one on it. I pulled valve cover,oil pan and oil filter, no metal shaving any where and rod bearings looked good, has the balance shaft delete. Pulled the fuel filter and it did not smell like diesel drained all the old fuel from the tank and refilled with clean diesel and sounded better.

I have put over 20k miles on it in the last year, 6k of them in the last month. Any idea on the noise? I haven't had a chance to dig into yet, should be home tomorrow afternoon. Also when I was doing the work when I first got half of the bell housing bolts where missing, wonder if a flywheel or clutch bolt could be loose?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
If you determine it needs an engine I have an wrecked 05, it was my daily driver, engine and trans up for grabs

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
From your video it's hard to say... If it were my job to diagnose, I would use a stethoscope to listen and find out where the noise is coming from /loudest. If the noise is loudest at the bellhousing, flywheel or clutch (DMF?). Loudest at the valve cover or block? Start opening up the engine...

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
My passat started making a noise today, was driving down the freeway and heard it when I was pulling up to the traffic light. Pulled over in a parking lot no low oil pressure light, no over temp light, proper level of oil and coolant. Noise gets slightly less noisy when I press the clutch pedal in.

History of the car that I know, bought it last year with 253k miles, 5 speed stage 2 tune and was told a bad engine by the previous owner, he claims to have run it out of oil said the oil feed for the turbo blew, he put a new stainless braided one on it. I pulled valve cover,oil pan and oil filter, no metal shaving any where and rod bearings looked good, has the balance shaft delete. Pulled the fuel filter and it did not smell like diesel drained all the old fuel from the tank and refilled with clean diesel and sounded better.

I have put over 20k miles on it in the last year, 6k of them in the last month. Any idea on the noise? I haven't had a chance to dig into yet, should be home tomorrow afternoon. Also when I was doing the work when I first got half of the bell housing bolts where missing, wonder if a flywheel or clutch bolt could be loose?
Wow, that does sound pretty bad... I'd narrow down where the sound is coming from. Do you know if the balance shaft has been deleted or converted to geared drive?

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
It has been deleted, when I started it to load it on the trailer the car sounded normal, it only ran a few minutes. Got it home and looks like some bad lifters, will update once the cam is out.

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
It's so bad it sounds like a bird chirping!

I keed - yeah it's toast - not supposed to have that much play... by a long shot

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
It is an atoto head unit, it is the A6 version according to Amazon I bought it September of 2020. I'll start with the easy answers. Overall I like it and quality seems good, Android seems to work well. When I am using wifi connection to the house for updates it seems slow and sometimes the apps on the headunit are a little glitchy such as right not Spotify won't work on the radio if selecting it thru the radio, but if I play it with my phone or ask Google to play music Spotify works.

I usually plug my phone into the the radio to connect and use Google map and Spotify, I was using the hot spot in my phone for a while but was using alot of data that way. If I rember correctly it came with a few antennas that I mounted low on the windshield, I believe one was for wifi and one was for GPS.

I ended up dow loading an app called headunit Reloaded to connect the phone to the radio I liked that better then the factory app that came on the radio.

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
Also phone calls seem clear, I usually don't use because when it answers the volume ssems to be turned way up, probably a setting some where I just never looked for it I mostly use the map and Spotify

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon

So this is the clutch and flywheel setup I went with, M-pact clutch and LuK dmf, so far clutch pedal is light and engament has been smooth. But I have been having some slipping issues, at first it was around 18psi, and as of last night it was up to 24psi before it started to slip. I will give it a few more weeks and see how it is.

If I keep having problem it will be time for a single mass flywheel set up.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
How's the hands free phonecall quality? Does your car have steering wheel controls? Do they work (with the head unit)?

Reason I'm asking is I have an older android head unit by parrot. The Bluetooth people. It's been good- Hands free phone operation and voice dialling are very good. Maps are offline and now quite dated. Would like to get a more modern double din unit
Edit... For maps, you're using Google maps with your phone as the data source? Or are you using Google maps in offline mode? I tried Google maps offline and they are awful. Really buggy if the application doesn't have data.

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
I have made very few handfree calls with it but they have been good quality, when I was looking at setting today you can use the microphone in the radio or phone, my is set to use the microphone in the radio.

My car has steering wheel controls but I due not have them hooked up due to needing another wire harness/adapter.

I use the phone as the data source for my maps, pretty much just mirrors your phone so it doesn't use anymore data then normal map usage.