Engine louder after tune and injectors

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
I am tune newbie, always kept my daily drivers stock but this 02 Golf I picked up seems to sound louder than my 06 MK5 and previous 03 ALH Golf. I wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
I have nothing to base the loudness off of because I got the car with seized engine and I replaced it.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
ALH will definitely be louder than a PD. I'd start with pump timing and IQ, measuring block 13 will show injection deviations as well with vcds

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-scope/TDIGraph.html

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/injection-quantity-adjustment-fuel-pump-hammer-mod/

Thanks Owain, much appreciated.
I forgot to put in my post, it a has a Malone Stage 1 tune with EGR delete and high idle mod and what the previous owner said were +20HP injectors that he paid $80 for, pretty sure they are chinese knock offs
I am pretty sure I checked the timing and it was right on but I will check again.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Cheap nozzles (I assume not the "injector" bodies were replaced) can really mess up an engine. Poor spray pattern can actually hole a piston and/or make hot spots. Check injector balance. Larger nozzles reportedly has the effect of advancing the injection timing somewhat as the original amount of fuel load is delivered quicker in the injection process.
Years back Pete (DBW) had a great write up.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
Update:

I put a set off used stock injectors in and it seems to be slightly quieter.
I am going to see if I can hunt down a set of quality upgraded nozzles.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
I have been able to drive it more since the last post.
Stock injectors didn't seem to make much difference noise wise.
I wonder if it has something to do with no EGR components on the back of the engine.

Also the .205s I took out smoked like a freight train compared to the stock ones I put in.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
If the .205s are smoking that badly then it sounds like they're set up for too much fuel flow.

A set of DLC520s (.205s), calibrated at the lowest flow setting Kerma/DBW offers, are running in my 02 with minimal smoke - grey haze under heavy throttle, black under WOT. Have been averaging around 42MPG since putting them in and tweaking the IQ to about 6.0 via VCDS.

Since you have a stock set, maybe you could have DBW go over the .205s and make sure they're calibrated properly?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
DBW wont touch his $80 set of injectors. He will be glad to sell you a brand new set of DLC520s though :)

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed, 03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
Yeah I don't know if DBW would look at them, but you could always ask him. If you plan on keeping the car get some good nozzles. Some things you can skimp out on, injectors is not one of them.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
DBW wont touch his $80 set of injectors. He will be glad to sell you a brand new set of DLC520s though :)
Yeah I don't know if DBW would look at them, but you could always ask him. If you plan on keeping the car get some good nozzles. Some things you can skimp out on, injectors is not one of them.

I would get a good set, too much invested at this point.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The noise level out the back might be affected by other exhaust system components as well, such as a compromised muffler. Moisture in the exhaust can do bad things since the amount of time elapsed is reasonably large.

Other things that could be happening might also be a failing flex joint, or exhaust leaks (rust holes and/or failing joints).

Cheers,

PH

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The noise level out the back might be affected by other exhaust system components as well, such as a compromised muffler. Moisture in the exhaust can do bad things since the amount of time elapsed is reasonably large.

Other things that could be happening might also be a failing flex joint, or exhaust leaks (rust holes and/or failing joints).

Cheers,

PH
My thoughts as well. There are lots of things that affect noise. Things like exhaust, covers, insulation, body integrity, even the seals on doors/windows.
Maybe post an audio clip, hood open. These engines make a lot of noise when running good.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp

Cheers,

PH
My thoughts as well. There are lots of things that affect noise. Things like exhaust, covers, insulation, body integrity, even the seals on doors/windows.
Maybe post an audio clip, hood open. These engines make a lot of noise when running good.

It has a new down pipe, no exhaust leaks that I can find.

Here is vid with .205 injectors

https://youtu.be/6Mr9eeDxzvM

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your IP is pretty loud. I've heard louder, but it's clearly louder than normal. It may run for a long time to come, or it may be near the end of its life. Perhaps the additional fuel demand increased the noise level.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
Your IP is pretty loud. I've heard louder, but it's clearly louder than normal. It may run for a long time to come, or it may be near the end of its life. Perhaps the additional fuel demand increased the noise level.

I have another IP I could put on.
My main concern is the IP locking up and taking out all the spiffy new parts I got from you guys.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's not that likely. More likely it'll stop delivering fuel. You might want too look at VCDS and see whether it's meeting fuel request at WOT. If not it's a sign of a fading pump.

We have an employee here whose pump is loud enough that you can't talk when in front of the car with the engine idling and the hood up. And it's been like that for a while. Runs fine.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Using a stethoscope or hose-in-ear, probe down by the pump, then by the injectors, you will be able to tell where the added noise is from.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed, 03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
I did't think it sounded to bad honestly. I have heard louder and quieter. My wife's 02 Jetta is really loud and it has been like that since we got it with 112,000 miles. My 02 that has 272,000 is quieter than hers but has gotten louder since my new injectors. Anyways I didn't think it was that loud, but a video can distort the sound too.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Mark at DFIS Portland will mount and balance most nozzles out there. I purchased a set hiflo .216 nozzles and Mark set them without a hiccup. The IQ balance difference is less than 0.02 some two years later. My vote goes to DFIS.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=502801

Check this out and see if it parallels your problem.
I don't get any codes.

Update:
Swapped injection pumps and noise is the same. Just as loud as before, I don't think it's the injection pump.
It could be a combination of the new down pipe and the fact there is no EGR components on the back of the engines to drown out noise.
Those are are the only 2 things different from when I ran this engine in the 2-door before I pulled it.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Using a stethoscope or hose-in-ear, probe down by the pump, then by the injectors, you will be able to tell where the added noise is from.

^^^ This.

There's just a ton of stuff in these cars' engine bay that can add up to make a lot of noise. Can't assume that it's just/or mostly the IP.

Timing and IQ can affect noise levels.

An 11mm IP will be a bit louder (or so my not-so-scientifically-calibrated hearing seems to suggest).

I'd put the stethoscope on the head, around each injector. AND, it's possible that you have an injector that's not sealing up well: douse a little soapy water around the base of each injector to check. Usually you'll see soot on the head around the injector hole: I had this with my own car- only time I'd had one loose; I had an exhaust leak and just thought that that leak was getting worse; performance and FE was still really good.

Last edited: