Engine Knocking - additive I can use?

toddod

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 239K
2002 Jetta TDI 310K
So I just had the exhaust on my Jetta fixed. Flex tube up front cracked when the muffler let go in the back. It had a couple other holes so its been "loud" for a couple years just REALLY "loud" lately.
The shop called me and said "Well we fixed the exhaust but the car isn't much quieter......"
Well there is a lower engine issue. Bearing or ??
Is there anything I can add in to make the engine last longer?

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
I had really good luck with lacus oil additive in a had motor that had a knock and low oil pressure.. Drive it for a solid year then sold it... Then the new ow we totaled it.. Don't know how long it would have lasted but it was still running are in and quite when I had it

toddod

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 239K
Lucas oil or any other additives don't say they are for Diesel engines. I stopped at Napa and they couldn't find anything to sell me......

South Coast Guy I'll post a video tomorrow......its not a good knock!

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
RESTORE should help according to the video on U.... Have a look and try it....

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
2002 Jetta TDI 310K
So I just had the exhaust on my Jetta fixed. Flex tube up front cracked when the muffler let go in the back. It had a couple other holes so its been "loud" for a couple years just REALLY "loud" lately.
The shop called me and said "Well we fixed the exhaust but the car isn't much quieter......"
Well there is a lower engine issue. Bearing or ??
Is there anything I can add in to make the engine last longer?
It may be an injector that has broken seal. With car idling, hover your hands over each injector individually. If you have a loose one, it will blow cylinder contents at your hand. Can be fixed in less than 30 minutes if this is the problem.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
If the knock is from a bad bearing then there is no "additive" that can save it. Have you check your oil pressure? Basic rule of thumb for hot oil is 10psi for every 1000rpm.

toddod

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 239K
I have not checked anything except the oil. About a quart low with 5k on this oil change.
I'm in Somerset

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
ALH's are generally noisey, sure its not normal? Is the shop familiar with Jetta diesels?

If is been noisey for years, it won't be the bearings, they wouldn't last a few hours.

toddod

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 239K
ALH's are generally noisey, sure its not normal? Is the shop familiar with Jetta diesels?

If is been noisey for years, it won't be the bearings, they wouldn't last a few hours.
Well I did throw a can of RESTORE in it last night (Does note its good for diesel motors).
I will get that video posted tonight so you can all hear it! :D

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I love Restore but it won't rebuild worn bearings.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe its the sound quality but it sounds perfectly fine to me.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Squirting a couple tubes of moly grease under the valve cover might buy you some time. J/k! :D

Chris Thomas

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI sold to VW bought a 2016 Chevrolet Colorado diesel to replace it.(wanted AWD and work at a GM dealership)
noise

Old school method is to crack the injector lines to see if the noise changes. Do one line at a time and allow 1 minute between line for the air to purge out of the injector. If it is a rod knock the cylinder that is no longer firing the noise will be reduce because no explosion within the cylinder due to lack of fuel. Also might want to pull the valve cover to examine the camshaft to check for worn lobes and/or lifter wear. I am in the La Crosse area if that is close just PM me. Also couldn't hear anything in the video but, you might want to redo it with the hood open and the injector cover removed. Also spray some soapy water around the injectors and the glow plugs so you can check for bubbles while it is running to check for compression leak.

Last edited:

toddod

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 239K
Chris thanks for the information wish I would have read it a few days ago. I'm dropping it off at a local shop tonight for an evaluation.

toddod

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 239K
Update. I have it in the shop that has worked on Jetta tdi's before so they should know what they're doing. They just called me and the timing is at 18 degrees instead of 5. They're telling me $273 digging into that but not promising there's not something else wrong after they fix the timing. Thoughts guys?

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
Run run run. Their going to destroy your car....
Make them show you the vcds timing graph. If your engine was that far off mechanical time it would have destroyed all the valves..

Your video clip sounded fine.

Last edited:

toddod

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 239K
Well they have basically told me it cannot be driven with the timing being that far off so I have little choice but to see what they come up with.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There are such things as tow trucks and dollies and trailers and such. No need to leave it there just because. I bought my timing belt ruined Beetle from a shop that "worked" on TDI's before. Every shop I have ever asked says they know what they are doing. Even when questioned and they don't have the correct tools for the job. I use the one trusted mechanic here that does know what he is doing, when I don't want to handle it. You should try and find one of those even if you have to tow it somewhere.

toddod

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 239K
Okay I've got it back who is relatively close to me that wants to take a shot at fixing this thing

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Check the trusted mechanics list and then research here on those who have used them and then pick one. Some people go hundreds of miles to use the trusted mechanics, especially for timing belt related issues.

toddod

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 239K
Update: Daughter has been driving again.up for sale if anyone wants it!
New VW front fenders in 2011, lots of new parts, great tires. Rust free! Cold air. Needs a thermostat, front brakes done and mystery noise fixes. 312k on it